Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

old tri bike vs new aero road bike
Quote | Reply
aero-mavens of ST, i have an aerodynamic question for you.

i have an 'old' tri bike (2004) which fits me well for my tri lifestyle. recently i am thinking about upgrading and was wondering if a new aero road bike will be more aerodynamic than the tri bike.

of course in a perfect world, i would upgrade both bikes, but currently, i find myself doing less tris and more road biking, so i want something that could be the best of both worlds.

thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: old tri bike vs new aero road bike [beekay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bikes like the S5 and new Felt AR are really nice. Check Out Tom Anhalt's S5 if you need an example. I can't find the thread, but he has pictures of his road and TT setup and I think his CdA is less than o.o2. There are probably no older Tri or TT bikes that would be as fast.

Cervelo is offering deals on the previous generation of S5's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you got in the exact same position on the aero road bike, using clip on aero bars, it might be a tie. Depends which bikes, and if you use aero road drop bars.

But it may not handle well in your aero position, and if you set it up for ideal tt position, it won't be ideal for your road position.

Nothing can be the best of both worlds!

But if you aren't racing for those final seconds it would certainly be totally fine for both worlds.

beekay wrote:
aero-mavens of ST, i have an aerodynamic question for you.

i have an 'old' tri bike (2004) which fits me well for my tri lifestyle. recently i am thinking about upgrading and was wondering if a new aero road bike will be more aerodynamic than the tri bike.

of course in a perfect world, i would upgrade both bikes, but currently, i find myself doing less tris and more road biking, so i want something that could be the best of both worlds.

thoughts?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there could be any frame less aero than my old QR Kilo tri bike with its big fat round aluminium tubing. But it was a tri bike that put the rider into an aero position. I'm sure that some of the aero road frames are more aero than many tri bike frames, but you also have to think as to how you are positioned on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.redshiftsports.com/products/switch-aero-system

this has gotten pretty solid reviews and may take the aero bike a bit further
Quote Reply
Re: old tri bike vs new aero road bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the input.

i am certainly not racing for the final seconds.

and that thread on the S5 was what got me thinking. i use my road bike 90% of the time and it would be nice to know that i would not be giving up much aerodynamically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to realize that body position is where the greatest time savings will be. So the frame should be secondary to riding in a good aerodynamic position. If you can achieve a good position on an aero road bike frame, then all the better.
Quote Reply