Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

nike lunartrainer vs lunar swift/fly/mariah
Quote | Reply
I LOVE the Nike Lunar Trainer but the time has finally come to replace them and I am looking for the most similar shoe currently available by Nike to replace them.

Looking online it seems the Swift, Fly and Mariah models look somewhat similar but am curious if any of them feel the same when running?

anyone using any of the new models that can compare to the old Lunar trainer?

also, how do the lunar racer 2 compare to the lunar racers? I found myself prone to blisters on the tops of my toes from the original lunar racers and wonder if the newer model is a little more forgiving around the toes...

cheers!

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: nike lunartrainer vs lunar swift/fly/mariah [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Swift is the most comparable to the Lunar trainer cushioning-wise, although it has a slightly canted midsole to add some pronation control (the midsole is a little lower on the outside of the heel, thicker on the inside of the heel.) The Lunar Fly is a straight nuetral shoe but its more akin to the Lunar glide, much softer than the Lunar Trainer in my opinion. The Fly has the exact same midsole as the Avant which came out last fall, just different uppers.

The Lunaracer 2 is very close to the first version, the midsole has more arch to it and the uppers are flipped inside out, but the volume seems the same. I've never had blister issues (esp on the TOP of your toes?!?) so i can't compare them in that way. But if you get blisters on top of your toes, me thinks you need to buy some bigger shoes or start running in thinner socks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just raced a du in the lunar racer 2s this past weekend. they felt cushy and responsive. very impressed. i had no blister issues. i cant compare them to the lunar racer 1's, but i can tell you that they are an excellent shoe.

are you looking to train in these shoes or race? i cant imagine training in the mariah's. at 7.5 oz they wouldnt last very long. that being said, id love to give them a whirl. be sure to share your experience with them if you get them. good luck!

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: nike lunartrainer vs lunar swift/fly/mariah [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if you get blisters on top of your toes, me thinks you need to buy some bigger shoes or start running in thinner socks...

yep - i tend to prefer thinner socks but thicker ones do solve the blister problem. The only problem with thicker socks is when its raining and you feel like you're lugging around gel kayanos!

I well check out swifts - thanks!

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: nike lunartrainer vs lunar swift/fly/mariah [jbird2131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i cant imagine training in the mariah's. at 7.5 oz they wouldnt last very long.

I do 50% of my training in Luna Racers + first gen (I alternate between these and Asics Hyperspeeds). LRs weigh in at 5.5 oz. I have logged over 400Kms in them so far. I weight 180 lbs. They are still going strong. If you have a light, efficient stride, shoe weight does not have much bearing on durability.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See my post from last month: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2797242

I went and tried on every version mentioned in that thread. _None_ are the Lunar Trainer. Some might make a viable option for you. For me, the Fly may be a serviceable replacement. The Swift (I think... might have been the Elite) was not terrible (though rubbed my pinky).

I still don't understand Nike's overall delineation and marketing message or even their strategic plan. It confirms to me that Nike is a fashion company, not a running company. And yes, I'm aware the true running companies discontinue and change popular styles all the time... but in this case it's clear that Nike just completely left LunarTrainer users out to dry.

The new LunarRacer 2 is still too narrow for my fat foot though it is better than the original version. The new Nike Free Run is also better than the Free 5.0 I use for lounging around in though the arch support is drastically different (not sure how it will be in practice). If you can stand the LR2 that looks like it will be around for a while. If you can get by with the stability of the LunarGlide that one should be around for a while too (although significantly changed in the latest version).

I'm just going to be investigating other options from the Fall 2010 line to see if somebody else is making a wider lightweight trainer. Byebye Nike.
Quote Reply
Re: nike lunartrainer vs lunar swift/fly/mariah [dpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now for me I love the Lunarglide+...first Nike shoe I have been able to fit into. Usually the toe box is terribly narrow.

Anyone have any ideas as to a race version of glide...ie one that fits the same and feels similar but lighter for shorter distances?

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply