Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new road/tri shoes
Quote | Reply
I have suffered from numb feet on hard rides/races pretty much since i entered this sport. I had kinda just given up and was accepting my fate till i did some testing with Jim at ERO and he told me there should be a pair of shoes out there that should work for me. Then i was reading through Thomas G. post or the Giro shoe and how it was testing very well for him. These things come together in me actually starting to look for a new pair of shoes!

Currently riding the S-works Trivent, issues i have is balls/font of foot go numb when i start pushing some real power and am riding over 10 min pushing power (the more power i push the faster the feet go numb) goes away very quickly once i were to unclip from shoe. Yes i have tried numerous different cleat positions with speedplay cleats as well.

I have tried the S-works road shoe in a wide and its was still not wide enough for my foot.

Looking for any recommendations from group collective on a wide shoes that seems like it would be aero as well. Leaning towards a road shoe as i think this would be lighter and possibly more "aero"

Suggests away!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason I've had one pair of Trivents that seemed wide enough and another pair that had me suffering the same issue with the numb toes and balls of feet. LGs were definitely too narrow for me. Ive had better success with the Giro T1/T2 but I have read that Shimano tri-shoes also run a bit wider in the toebox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
I have suffered from numb feet on hard rides/races pretty much since i entered this sport. I had kinda just given up and was accepting my fate till i did some testing with Jim at ERO and he told me there should be a pair of shoes out there that should work for me. Then i was reading through Thomas G. post or the Giro shoe and how it was testing very well for him. These things come together in me actually starting to look for a new pair of shoes!

Currently riding the S-works Trivent, issues i have is balls/font of foot go numb when i start pushing some real power and am riding over 10 min pushing power (the more power i push the faster the feet go numb) goes away very quickly once i were to unclip from shoe. Yes i have tried numerous different cleat positions with speedplay cleats as well.

I have tried the S-works road shoe in a wide and its was still not wide enough for my foot.

Looking for any recommendations from group collective on a wide shoes that seems like it would be aero as well. Leaning towards a road shoe as i think this would be lighter and possibly more "aero"

Suggests away!

Thanks for the reading the post. FWIW, a number of people have recommend that I give Riplaces a try for even better aerodynamics so I might give them a go. That Giro shoe wasn't designed with aerodynamics in mind, it just happens to look very aero and so I bought it and modified it. It is a really nice shoe and gives me no issues with numbness.

With that being said, Specialized has the Sub6 which was designed with aerodynamics in mind but maybe you will have the same fit issues. Not sure how LG or Shimano fit for you, but comfort is one of those things that may not be able to replace aero. I did notice this past weekend at Choo Choo 70.3 and at Stg 70.3 that Kienle wore the Orca shoe covers over his Scott shoes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northwave, Shimano, Lake... I think those are all wider brands.

I'm the opposite, I wear narrow Sidi's.
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [Hammer50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano comes in a W or wide if you will. Pretty nice but the reverse strap is a bit of a bug point...other than that even their entry level shoes are fairly good.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Suggests away!

Thanks for the reading the post. FWIW, a number of people have recommend that I give Riplaces a try for even better aerodynamics so I might give them a go. That Giro shoe wasn't designed with aerodynamics in mind, it just happens to look very aero and so I bought it and modified it. It is a really nice shoe and gives me no issues with numbness.

With that being said, Specialized has the Sub6 which was designed with aerodynamics in mind but maybe you will have the same fit issues. Not sure how LG or Shimano fit for you, but comfort is one of those things that may not be able to replace aero. I did notice this past weekend at Choo Choo 70.3 and at Stg 70.3 that Kienle wore the Orca shoe covers over his Scott shoes.

Oh Kienle is back to wearing the shoe covers! He did that some last yr if i remember correctly, would be hesitant to try without being able to test them. Thanks for the suggestion on LG and Shimano not tried either but maybe a place to start, with a possible 12w savings at 10 yaw maybe i can put up with numb feet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Northwave, Shimano, Lake... I think those are all wider brands.

I'm the opposite, I wear narrow Sidi's.

lucky wish my feet were same!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from Trivents to LG X-Lites and find them much better

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at your pedals, too. When I switched to a slightly larger pedal platform, the numbness I was getting in my feet went away.
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
I went from Trivents to LG X-Lites and find them much better

how is the fit on your LG? true to size?
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear a 10.5 shoe and went with a 44 in the LG's (same as my old trivents). On the LG website they list a 44 being a 10, whereas specialized list a 44 as being a 10.6. Not sure about the disconnect on size but they fit pefect

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake cycling, wides.

I have a bony wide foot, and my issue has always been getting enough sole under my bones on the sides. I have bought S-works, although never the wides, shimano, sidi megas (not wide on the sole, only the upper), and old Nike Poggios (wide enough on the sole, no longer made and I don't know what Trek has done lately).

I used the Lake cycling trace-your-foot and measure deal, and it was dead on, wide enough in the base that I'm not hanging over the sole edges, but not hugely voluminous either.

I will likely never have anything else as long as they make new ones.

competitivecyclist.com has them. Very pleased.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Take a look at your pedals, too. When I switched to a slightly larger pedal platform, the numbness I was getting in my feet went away.

I actually went from a shimano cleat to the speed play and moved cleats around, fixed a knee issues but did not help with tingling/numbness/pain.

So i did just go try on the S-Works Sub 6, wow thats a different kinda of shoe it really does feel like a slipper and less restrictive in the toe box then S-works road that had the Boa. I did place a order for the sub 6 in a wide and order for Giro SLX to compare back to back. 30-60 day return policy on the shoes which seems pretty nice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you may already know that all Specialized cycling shoes have a forefoot varus tilt of 1.5° built into them. I am a fan of their shoes, but this has caused me some of the numbness and pain issue you describe. During my last fit session we added external cleat shims to "neutralize" the Spec shoes. This made a noticeable difference for me. Easy enough for you to experiment with before jumping around to a lot of different shoes.

You may also want to consider trying a different insole that provides more arch support and possibly one of the insoles with a metatarsal button. The Specialized Body Geometry insoles cover a fairly wide range. Most of their shoes come with the red or what I think is least supportive insole. If you have a good Spec dealer you might even be able to try a pair of Green ones at the shop, ahead of buying and riding, to see if they offer instant improvement. The latest version of their insoles might be a little more aggressive than the past line as my wife's shoe fit improved a lot with the older green insole, while she found the newer version too aggressive (the metatarsal button may have changed).
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
So you may already know that all Specialized cycling shoes have a forefoot varus tilt of 1.5° built into them. I am a fan of their shoes, but this has caused me some of the numbness and pain issue you describe. During my last fit session we added external cleat shims to "neutralize" the Spec shoes. This made a noticeable difference for me. Easy enough for you to experiment with before jumping around to a lot of different shoes.

You may also want to consider trying a different insole that provides more arch support and possibly one of the insoles with a metatarsal button. The Specialized Body Geometry insoles cover a fairly wide range. Most of their shoes come with the red or what I think is least supportive insole. If you have a good Spec dealer you might even be able to try a pair of Green ones at the shop, ahead of buying and riding, to see if they offer instant improvement. The latest version of their insoles might be a little more aggressive than the past line as my wife's shoe fit improved a lot with the older green insole, while she found the newer version too aggressive (the metatarsal button may have changed).

yes i have read that specialized does that "varus tilt" which works for like 85% of population or something, i have wondered if i am failing in that group that this does not work for? I have tried some shims in under the soles and in the cleat, to this point none of those have not helped. Is a "external cleat shim" one that would go in the cleat? I have tried Specialized red and blue insole but not there green ones, you are first to tell me there is a "green" one! Maybe this is the magic i am looking for. I did notice today trying on the sub-6 it felt very different then past specialized shoes i have tried/worn, so hoping this may be a positive change.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, by external I meant cleat shim vs. something that goes in the shoe under your insole as Specialized also sells.

Going from memory I thought green was the in-betweener insole, but I see here that my memory was faulty and it is most corrective compared to the standard red: https://www.specialized.com/...tryslfootbeds/105622
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Yes, by external I meant cleat shim vs. something that goes in the shoe under your insole as Specialized also sells.

Going from memory I thought green was the in-betweener insole, but I see here that my memory was faulty and it is most corrective compared to the standard red: https://www.specialized.com/...tryslfootbeds/105622

I will give the green a go if i go with a new shoe and still seeing numbness, thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would consider a SIDI in a mega sizing.

The standard sizing is on the narrow side, but the Mega is very wide.
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [mtbmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtbmatt wrote:
I would consider a SIDI in a mega sizing.

The standard sizing is on the narrow side, but the Mega is very wide.

Never tried a sidi and LBS in Austin (that i know of) don't seem carry them, but i am not opposed to anything, people i have met with SIDI seem to be very happy and loyal to them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't suit me, the standard is too narrow and the mega too wide - but they do make great shoes.

Specialized fit me perfectly and Giro are OK too, but a little on the narrow side - so you might be lucky with a SIDI mega.
Lake are fairly wide, as are Northwave. The latter his high volume in general, rather than just the toe box.
Quote Reply
Re: new road/tri shoes [mtbmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just need toe box, so will try to check out the sidi and add it to my list. The sidi don't look all that "aero" but they do look bomb proof.

Quote Reply