Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new rider
Quote | Reply
HI,

In returning to road biking and associated sports, I've been looking at a new road bike. I started with a 1500Cdn budget and after talking with about five shops, I've ended up with the recommendation by one that the "best bike for me" would be a full carbon frame at around $4000.00 now on sale. I've been told I should be on a steel; an aluminum; a alu-carbon; an all carbon; frame, each time that the other one wouldn't be good for me, and what I want to do.

Measuring and sizing was another experience. Some shops doing a basic inseam and arm, and other different, all commenting on the other's system was wrong: "they are a tri based shop and always measure two cm short!" to finally getting on an adjustable bike, which moved all the frame parts as I rode until finding what was comfortable and efficient for where I am now. (this cost me 60.00, but is refundable if I buy my bike there. Oh, they sell Kuota, Time and Look...the good low priced bikes!) So now I know my size...I think.

Just looking has been everything from: "you can get the Allez 18 or elite" and then walking away, that's it, put down your credit card and we'll talk; to someone spending time to explain the pros and cons of alum, vs carbon and different levels of components, but in the end recommending I go full carbon and then upgrade the components. I have yet to ride a bike, because I don't have shoes and pedals yet. I was told there that I get those after I buy the bike; to "bring your mountain bike pedals,"...what, you can't just put some on so I can ride it? (usually met with a look like I'm nuts, or that it will be a great deal of work for them...one just doesn't do that.)

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to a few bikes that appeal to me, have gotten good reviews and are available in my size at a "decent?" price: the Felt f55 with full dura ace, the Cannondale r1000 (I'm told this is a sleeper with terrific parts for the money), and the one that I just like the look of the best: the Soloist centaur. Though I can't find that one in my size, I can wait for the ultegra 06 and the price increase, or I've been offered the red and black team version from last year downgraded with an ultegra for the new price...(couldn't they put a centaur on it?)and though it's the same frame...should I get a deal since it's been there so long?

You are much more familiar with this whole culture of the bike shop (it appears to be a culture, like BMW or Porsche) and with these bikes. I welcome your ideas, advice, and thoughts. I'm feeling very frustrated, a bit overwhelmed, and like I might be getting ripped off...but I'm excited at getting a new bike and starting off riding and learning. These are all beautiful, well crafted bikes and I know I'll be excited to ride on any of them. Thanks for your input, and ideas to joining the fraternity...

jrider
Quote Reply
Re: new rider [jrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds as if you need to find a shop that will let you ride the bikes more. After a few miles you should have at least an idea of what bikes you like compared to others. If you are new/returning to road biking you don't NEED carbon. Sure its nice, but an aluminum frame will perform just as well. Carbon does not always equal faster or smoother. Look for an 05' bike on closeout. You'll probably find your best deal there.

Keep in mind that sizing isnt absolute. For example, I have one bike thats a 58 and another thats a 52. So, you should know approximately what geometry you like, but keep in mind that different companies size using different methods.

I'm not exactly sure what you can get for $1,500 CN, but I would imagine it would be similar to what you can get for for $1000 US. That being the case, companies like Trek, Specialized, Felt, and Giant make good bikes in that price range.

For your first bike, get something you like and that fits. But don't break the bank. This way you will have time to learn what you like and dislike, and thus will be able to make a more informed 'big bike' purchase later on.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the Felt f55 with full dura ace, the Cannondale r1000 (I'm told this is a sleeper with terrific parts for the money), and the one that I just like the look of the best: the Soloist centaur. "

All good bikes for the money. Realize that you can get a lot more bike on the second hand market. A two year old bike will cost 30-40% less than new and not be that much different. Have a look on ebay and the Canadian Cyclist site. The secret is to know your size.

To understand the art and science behind road bike fit, this site is a good place to start.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/BikeFit/index.cfm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably should have taken a friend's advice and started with a cheap bike (used) and learned from that experience, and after a year or two, put some serious dough into a bike *I* wanted.

You mentioned you went through different fits - but were they able to agree on a size for you? As many people will say top tube length is the most important - start there. Also, if you're not very flexible and have a weak core (me) find a larger headtube - the idea being that you want your handlebars as high as your seat...

I don't know much about felt but assuming you're in Canada, have you looked into Opus or Devinci? They're both Canadian companies that have a pretty decent range of ~1000$ bikes. Also, when my gf was looking for a new bike earlier this year (she ended up with a Giant TCR2) we also saw some nicely priced Lemond bikes...

ps. just bring your mtn pedals and make them put them on. stores that refuse won't get any of my business. period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking in the Toronto area, you really don't have a ton of options. The obvious resource is Endurosport - they sell Cannondale, Kestrel and of course Cervelo. They're actually the largest Cervelo dealer in the world, and often have frames from the factory which they will build up however you want. They can put together a DUAL for you with a 105ish parts spec, probably for just over $1500.

These guys are also the place to go for a trusted, comprehensive FIST certified bike fit...hey, it's good enough for Lisa Bentley. They'll hook you up to power meters and measure outputs, heartrates in various positions, etc. The downside is that they're not terribly friendly, and can be a bit snobbish because they're a "tri-only" shop. Just work through that, and know that they're the best option in Toronto. They also tend not to be cheap, but at this time of year you should be able to find a closeout - they often to post-ironman specials.

The other options in Toronto are fairly weak, especially in the bike fitting department. For a city that size, there should be other great options, but unfortunately there really aren't.

ANOTHER OPTION...now, I know this is unethical, but you could always find the bike that fits you best, then buy it from the US. The exchange rate is great right now, and prices there are cheaper after exchange than they are up here. Get it shipped to Niagara Falls, then just drive down, throw it on the bike rack beside another one (so it looks like it belongs), and drive it back. I've done it a lot with mountain bikes, and it saves big $$.

Toronto is overpriced...all of the shops are. If the service was great, I would say stick with a shop and pay the premium, but there really isn't a shop that knows it's tri stuff AND offers great service.

BEST OPTION...drive another few hours to Tom D at bikesportmichigan.com in the Detroit area...get a great fitting, choose from Vervelo, Felt, Cannondale, etc and drive it back (don't declare it, obviously.) It's perfect...you support a shop, get great service, and a great selection of bikes with teh best fit proces around.
Quote Reply
Re: new rider [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They can put together a DUAL for you "

He mentioned that he wanted a road bike, which IMO at least, if you're only going to have one bike, a road bike is usually the best way to go. There are all kinds of good bike shops in Toronto. What hurts the prices is the 15% GST/PST.

One option is wait until the Toronto Bike Show on the first weekend of March. There seems to be all kinds of good deals since most of the shops will be discounting last year's stock to make way for the 2006 models..
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Oct 5, 05 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are new then you definitely do not need a $4K bike. There are a lot of other costs that come along with it - pedals, helmet, shoes, gloves, jerseys...........

I first started with something around 1200 back in 97 - not sure what that equates to now but it was a steel framed Biancci. Just find a good fit - now is a good time to start looking for an 05 model on sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all your advice and insights everyone. I'm going to go and ride some bikes tomorrow to see how they feel and get a better idea if I can even sense the difference between the 1500 and 2500 dollar bikes. I'm also visiting lots of shops to see how I feel and what sort of service and ideas they have. There are certainly different vibes and attitudes, that's for sure.

I have found some great deals, but, not in my size. That's the trouble with looking now. I'm also skimming ebay and some large online shops to see what sort of prices are there. Now, I just hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

thanks for the help and happy riding this weekend!

jrider
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the biggest difference between most $1500 and $2500 bikes is going to be the components - very often the manufacturers will use the same frame, and probably the same wheelset. If you have the same frame, wheels, and seat - you won't be noticing anything else, I think. Tiny variations in the setup might disguise even a change in the wheels, for example.

Case in point - I rode the '04 and '05 Soloist back-to-back. The biggest difference (aside from shifting with Campy vs Shimano) was probably the bar. 3TTT changed the spec bar slightly year-to-year. Do I prefer, conceptually, the slightly nicer parts spec on the '04? Sure. But could I feel it on the same ride, on the same size and make frame? Not really. The wheels and post, the different cranks - pretty much not noticeable when actually riding.
Quote Reply
Re: new rider [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi,

my search continues...has anyone ridden a Guerciotti bike? or an Isaac? The latter is way out of my price range, but they sure look nice.

thanks,

jrider
Quote Reply