Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
new bike computer: what to get?
Quote | Reply
So, I have been debating getting a new computer for a while. I bought a Cateye Stealth a few years back because it was smaller and had the same bulk features of the Garmins. While I like it I am finding accessories for better placement, device support, etc. is hard to come by or much more expensive. So, for those that have other GPS based computers, which do you have, what you like/dislike about the unit and would you recommend it/buy it again?

Yes, I did see the recent thread on the transforming auto-updating garmins, and I have read the comparisons DCR has on his site. I was waivering between the 510/520/810. I just do not see me needing the 1000, but do want full support for ant, and power (future addition - so possibly BTLE compatible).

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 510 or 520 is all a triathlete will ever need. I'd get the 520. I have a 510 and debated getting the 1000 but the 510 was a better choice

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet. That was what I was thinking as well. Dare I open the discussion to other brands?

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The 510 or 520 is all a triathlete will ever need. I'd get the 520. I have a 510 and debated getting the 1000 but the 510 was a better choice

The 520 looks pretty sweet. A lot of people I know never really got the 510 working right for them, most people were sticking with the 500 until now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the 810 last year because I wanted maps. Not really necessary, but nice to have.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [JoshR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoshR wrote:
I got the 810 last year because I wanted maps. Not really necessary, but nice to have.

I've had an 800 for 5 years and have moved to 2 new cities and done plenty of traveling in that time and I still don't think I've ever actually used the maps. Other's mileage may vary, but it was always too big of a pain in the ass to get the routes on there in the first place for me to bother with it.

My next computer will be a 520 because apparently I'm an idiot an don't learn form the past. I've had a 305, 310, 405, Swim, a 910 and the 800 and the only one that wasn't RMA'd at least once was the 305. Some of the others have gone back multiple times. Garmin QA in my experience is terrible, but they've always replaced them and the competition still seems somewhat lackluster to me so I'll probably get another Garmin product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought the Garmin 520 last night. Set it up on my bike (set up was easy, took 20 minutes, probably would take a regular person 5 minutes but I decided to clean my bike a bit too).

Haven't ridden with it, but am planning a long ride tomorrow and taking a half day at work :-)

I bought the 520 because I've been using a cateye double wireless for a while now and it constantly crapped out. In fact, I have it plus a second speed/cadence sensor (still in the box) if anyone is interested.

My 520 came in a bundle with the garmin speed/cadence sensor and heart rate monitor. It also came with all the mounting hardware for the unit (several options were included, and some spare parts, which was nice).

I wanted it because I like the idea of Strava integration and I want something I can use with my KK trainer. I'm hoping it will be some of the driving force to push me into some actual winter bike training.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Well, my season is pretty much over so I likely won't be purchasing till next spring. I have an 800 and it works well BUT, the thought of going for a ride and seeing a Strava segment pop up is just too much eye candy for me, I HAVE to have one. At this point that would mean the 520.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really love my 810

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a 500 over the 510 based on reviews. The 500 works great. I'd go 500 or 520 if you want the lastest.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd. Edge 500 is all you need: Simple buttons, up to 8 displays, good battery. I had the Edge 700 with maps before, but never really used it. Now that cell phones can do the same it is better to have the cheaper computer that you don't need to worry about getting stolen.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
BryanD wrote:

The 520 looks pretty sweet. A lot of people I know never really got the 510 working right for them, most people were sticking with the 500 until now.

510 has been a constant pain, every single update that was supposed to fix the last update has a new set of bugs. The latest update 4.20 has disabled my ability to download workouts, constant auto pausing for no reason, slower overall function, and poorer battery life.

Edit: My 500 worked perfectly for two years and never had one problem. I am considering going back to the 500 simply because garmin has constantly demonstrated the inability to get the 510 working.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Sep 2, 15 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you can spring for the 810, I'd get it for the maps. you don't NEED it, but its nice to have. the map capability of my 800 has been really useful off the bike- in fact I've brought it to use as an ersatz gps unit when travelling and it works out well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a 520. My 500 had a broken screen, so i needed to get something new. The 520 is a big upgrade from the 500, in my opinion. I like having the ability to show 10 data fields instead of 8. I like that it bluetooth connects to my phone so I can automatically sync to garmin connect/strava after every ride, without plugging the computer in.

But, the main thing I like are the maps. I'm getting more into gravel racing, where the courses aren't always marked. Having nice maps is a HUGE plus for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a few weeks as I wouldn't be surprised if a new edge 820 comes out during interbike.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably good advice. What I am hearing is 1) 520 or the 810/820 (if released shortly) and 2) wait for the release of the 820.

If the only reason/differences to go with the 8x0 series, is maps, I would probably go with the 520, purely because I ride with my phone, which has GPS and maps... but if the anticipated 820 maps out routes that include how to get to the closest watering hole...

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides the maps, I see wifi, connect iq, and a bigger screen (more data on 1 screen) as the benefits of the 820 over the 520

blog
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm keen to see too. Canyon have just announced their computer which runs on Android Wear, meaning it'll be frequently and easily updated and although it primarily acts as a phone mirror, it'll work independently too. It's really nicely integrated in terms of the mount as well. I'm running an Edge 800 on my road bike and use my FR920XT for my TT, swim and running. I won't replace the 800 unless there's a seriously dramatic improvement in the quality of the display and ease / frequency of firmware updates. I have a feeling that phone mirroring is only going to become more dominant; it makes updating a lot easier.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna buck the trend here, Cateye Strada Smart. Really cool idea, it's a Cateye Strada double wireless that will download your data to your phone. Things like Strava kill my phone, so I Iike this. This is a good choice if you don't need everything the garmin offers. I ride via heart rate or cadence so this works for me and allows me to upload the data to strava.

Caution, this doesn't work with all phones, so check before you purchase.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 520 in the post. I'm expecting it will be there when I arrive home this evening.

I currently have a 500 and have not been at all tempted to upgrade to 510, 800, 810 or 1000
They are not what I wanted. The 1000 is just too big while the 510 and 810 seem to half implement the features I want.

520 is the one I've been waiting for for years.

I can post an update if you are interested.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely! Would be interested to see the differences, especially if you were not tempted to upgrade before.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just got the 520 - ymmv, but will last me the next 10 years
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [kfmfe04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have the Garmin Edge 25?

https://buy.garmin.com/...e-25/prod508489.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EJ_S wrote:
Probably good advice. What I am hearing is 1) 520 or the 810/820 (if released shortly) and 2) wait for the release of the 820.

If the only reason/differences to go with the 8x0 series, is maps, I would probably go with the 520, purely because I ride with my phone, which has GPS and maps... but if the anticipated 820 maps out routes that include how to get to the closest watering hole...
You get a lot of the map functionality with the 520 too (if you replace the garmin basemap with something useful), the only thing missing really is routing on the device, and I never really found that to work all that well on the 800. Screen is a little smaller (than 800), but a lot easier to read.
I would propably consider 500 for simplicity or 520, 8xx only if you desperately need routing on the device (Preplanned courses work wonderfully on the 520).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went from the Harmin 510 to the 520 and I love it. Everything you need in a small package. Fast and so accurate. Love it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next