Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

my first foray into buying a frame from China
Quote | Reply
I thought some people might be interested in my experience so here goes.
This is the first time buying from China, and the experience has been good so far.
Transaction was by email and payment through paypal.
The frame was at my door within a week.

Note:
I own or have owned in the past Dual, P3SL, P2SL, P2c, Felt DA (08), Airfoil Pro SL, SLC-SL, Trek SC 7.0, and a couple of other road bikes; this is more of a fun project than a bike i plan to race regularly on. at least it was the case at the time when i ordered it.

The frame i decided to get was :

Apologies if the pics turn out very big.

So the frame arrived very well packaged with all the crush spacers in place in the dropouts, and the BB, headtube had protective rubber covers in place too. Very impressed. Better packed than my cervelos.

Actual frame looks like this:

At first glance my main concern was the shape of the rear cutout and whether it would mate well to a rear wheel at all.
Well as it turns out, it was better than expected. Just a bit of daylight at the bottom.

Top tube cable routing with cable guides. Bare gear cables run in the downtube to save weight. i will put some liner when i do the build to eliminate friction but very cool feature. rear brake routing appears to require the whole housing, which is fine by me. the rear brake always tends to get a bit sticky on my cervelos after a while.

dropped downtube for improved aerodynamics. seems to mate well with a 3T fork. but i will be using a blackwell time bandit with it instead of the provided fork, which is a dead ringer for an Easton EC90 Aero.

Bottom bracket area is very clean. BB86 which is a bit of a pain since i am using a Sram Quarq and BB86 is a standard used by Giant (guess where this mold was adapted from) and Scott, both of whom are not big on Sram at least in my country, so i had to buy the press fit BB separately off Ebay. That part is still in the hands of USPS so can't build the frame yet.

Headtube is also fairly sleek. similar to a P2/P3 shape but slightly thicker. Widest point is 2.5mm wider on either side than a 1 1/8" headset bearing cup.
The headtube takes a campag compatible 1 1/8" headset which was another pain for me. i have cane creek compatible headsets on all my other bikes so again i had to buy this off Ebay and again its still in the mail.

Other things i like:
replaceable RD hanger.

Dual bottle cage bosses ( with slight kamm recess for bottle on downtube):

Transition-like seat and chainstays but not so narrow that they affect my wheel choices:

Plenty of clearance for an 808 firecrest:

Haven't got my digital scale with me and i can't seem to find my calipers, but frame weighs about 1.4-1.5kg. downtube width is slightly fatter than the cervelo and Trek SC but definitely narrower than a kestrel. top tube is narrower than both the SC and the cervelo, especially as it tapers towards the seatpost.

Gripes:
BB86; would have preferred BB30 or BSA as it's easier to source parts but i think this is because of the mold it was adapted from.
Horizontal rear drop outs do not have set screws so i do have to rely on feel to set the spacing but it's not a deal breaker. The rear wheel is never supposed to slip even without screws anyway.
Campy compatible headset required. ok now i'm nitpicking but i would have preferred a cane creek standard.

rear wheel cutout is fairly well designed
cable guides in place
top tube cable routing
dual bottle cage bosses
dropped downtube
slim headtube
**PRICE** (OK after the cost of the headset and BB adaptor the cost went up a bit but overally still pretty damn good value for money. i'd bet good money that it's more aero than a P3SL/P2C)
Geometry is quite middle of the road.

i will post more pics as i build this up once the headset and BB adaptors are in.
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that looks sweet. can't wait to see the final build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as it turns out i just found a digital scale in the kitchen. may not be super accurate but it gives a ballpark. claimed weight is 1135g by the way, and i just found out it is being sold as a new Cinelli Wysiwig TT frame. you can google it to find pics.

weight on my scale is 1181g including a 26g seatpost clamp, dropout, BB and HT protectors and cable guides. OMFG!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much did you pay?
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [Aralo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total cost including headset and BB parts just under 1 grand. Would have been cheaper but I'm in Singapore and had to get the parts from the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [Aralo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may upgrade my road frame next year, and a off shore carbon like this maybe the ticket.

Thanks for the post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, thanks for posting your experience with the frame, keep us updated

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting frame shape. I see a few features on the seat post similar to parlee. Sounds like you had a good experience. What was your source? ebay? alibaba? another website? if ebay, who was the seller? Thanks for the info.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got it through a company called gotobike.
Website is http://www.gotobike.com.cn
ive been on their mailing list for a while now. Their sales rep loice replies email enquiries within hours if you're in their time zone, even if you don't buy anything or have after sales questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my eye on that one, as well as this one:

So far it has not been possible to get just one frame to check them out before committing to purchase a larger quantity. I would buy 10 and put them on eBay, but they won't send me a sample.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was sort of waiting for that one to become available as well. The geometry suits me better. but I prefer the standard 1 1/8" headtube as it's easier to source the headset. Remember these companies sell the frames without headsets so if you have to source an asymmetrical headset yourself it can be troublesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the XPace one would be the most wicked roadie ever.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
footwerx wrote:
I got it through a company called gotobike.
Website is http://www.gotobike.com.cn
ive been on their mailing list for a while now. Their sales rep loice replies email enquiries within hours if you're in their time zone, even if you don't buy anything or have after sales questions.

nice stuff, But I dont see prices. ?????
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [grnfsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a chinese frame in august of last year, and it's been a joy to ride. Just do your research buy the frame that fits and pay someone to build it if you don't know what you're doing.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price for the frame?

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interested to see how it turns out. Love the fact that we have the option to purchase a frame without having to support a companies bloated marketing program. I work with Chinese manufacturers for a living. The rule of thumb is while there may be thousands and thousands of different manufactures located in China producing product for a certain category (let's say air conditioning units), there are usually only a handful of manufacturers whom major USA vendors source their air conditioners from and trust their product quality. I'm not here to qualify GOTOBIKE as a quality manufacture of carbon bike frames, but I am not sure where GOTOBIKE falls in the maxim mentioned above.

At the end of the day with the proper molds, machines, and manufacturing process they very well may produce a top quality product designed to meet EN14781.

There is a MAJOR concern with end users or small dealers purchasing frames from any Chinese company such as GOTOBIKE. In the absence of a vendor protecting their brand name, there is no mechansim to ensure GOTOBIKE executes an in line quality assurance inspection from an independent 3rd party testing company such as SGS, OnSpex, TestRite, Intertek, etc. (This is not a rant on quality products from China. Chinese factories can and do produce quality products if we support the price. We as consumers/vendors dictate to Chinese manufacturers the product quality by continually demanding lower and lower prices. You get what you pay for.... at some point constantly beating up Chinese manufacturers on pricing leads to a reduction of quality in product components, cutting corners, etc as these manufacturers are in the business to make as much money as possible. Ask yourself why Craftsman removed their lifetime warranty on their handtools... just couldn't compete with the factories producing product in Ningbo area).

Net/Net You can have the best design from an engineer, you can have the best molds in the world, you can have the most modern and up to date factory in the world, but all those things cannot eliminate human error. Human error from migrant Chinese workers earning almost nothing and not concerned about the quality of your bike. I am not sure if GOTOBIKEwould pay the $200USD man/day rate of sending someone out to inspect small manufacturing runs, but I wouldn't trust a product without an independent 3rd party QA inspection... just too much chance for human error from a Chinese manufacturer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interested in how your final build looks, and more importantly how it rides. Please keep us posted!

http://www.epixgear.com
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [thekid_duxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The rule of thumb is while there may be thousands and thousands of different manufactures located in China producing product for a certain category (let's say air conditioning units), there are usually only a handful of manufacturers whom major USA vendors source their air conditioners from and trust their product quality. I'm not here to qualify GOTOBIKE as a quality manufacture of carbon bike frames, but I am not sure where GOTOBIKE falls in the maxim mentioned above.
Look into this. There are basically only a few companies that do carbon frames - and all of them are related, with Giant being the biggest.

Quote:
There is a MAJOR concern with end users or small dealers purchasing frames from any Chinese company such as GOTOBIKE
This is true. However, at this point, there have been enough people who've bought them and had success that I did the same thing. After 2000 miles on my road bike, including everything from 80 mile Roubaix-style races to 65 mph descents to 85 mile races in the mountains, it has preformed beautifully. In my opinion, there were and are enough positive reviews to take the risk on these frames.

That said, remember that certain companies take these bikes and then rebadge and sell them. Maybe it would be worth spending 200% and buying through them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That thing is nice looking.

What do you do for warranty service or recalls?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
That thing is nice looking.

What do you do for warranty service or recalls?

I purchased my China frame from Pedal Force in the US to get their warranty. At the time the mark up was very small to buy through them rather than straight from GOTOBIKE, so I figured it was worth while to get the warranty.

Now, however, their prices have gone significantly up. My experience with getting one of these frames has been very positive. In the future I'd buy off ebay or straight from China - the warranty thing no longer concerns me and the current price difference makes the risk worthwhile.
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do have a 2 year warranty on their products. Having said that I would probably put the cost down to paying for the experience if something bad happens along the way. I'd probably put in a couple of weeks on the trainer before taking it out on the road just to be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok it's taken a while but here's a shot of the completed build.
built the frame up a couple of weeks back and have ridden it a couple of times on the trainer and twice on the road.
so far no complaints.

apologies for the poor image quality.
will get some more pics up when i have the time.

edit:
the bike's got a mish mash of parts as i pretty much built it up with whatever spares i had lying around.
Last edited by: footwerx: Aug 6, 11 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the front fork right with that frame? looks like its not the same distance top of the cut out to the bottom. nice frame though.
Quote Reply
Re: my first foray into buying a frame from China [spagoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not using the stock fork. I am using a Blackwell time bandit fork.
Quote Reply