Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
moving to Chicago suburb
Quote | Reply
UPDATE (10/25/2006): I'm moving to Lombard next week. I'll see you guys/gals at Spirit of Racine and some other races in the area. Also going for IM Moo '08.

Does anyone know anthing about EOLA, IL. I'm moving in three weeks and found and awesome house that I want to rent until I get to know the area (then I'll buy). Others have suggested moving to Downers Grove but the place I found is amazing! Thanks for any input.
Last edited by: UNC_Tri_Guy: Oct 25, 06 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: moving to Chicago suburb [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from what I recall, Eola is between two large suburbs (Naperville and Aurora). Naperville probably has more than 100,000 people (and Aurora might too), so there is tons to do in both suburbs. Since that is the case, though, there is gridlock in both too (especially on the weekends). I am pretty sure that Eola is really small and pretty close to the Reagan (I-88) freeway, allowing you to get downtown in about 45-50 mins (no traffic) and to get farther west to do some good, albeit flat, riding.

one other tip, if you are going to take the train downtown, get on the parking lot list early. apparently their lots have (or used to have) some sort of waiting list just to park in the lots.

good luck wherever you choose.
Quote Reply
Re: moving to Chicago suburb [atwist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More importantly, Aurora is the home of the most excellent Wayne Campbell.

Good luck. I grew up in Western Springs and the Chicago area is awesome.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lived in Naperville from 93-02. Great place. You will find some great triathletes in the area, though I was just getting into tris as I moved. Check out the Naperville Running Company, which is in downtown Naperville. They can probably hook you up with the local tri scene. There used to be a group that worked out at Rush Copley in Aurora (spinning) and there is a big Lifetime up on Diehl Rd that was just built. For some casual riding, from Eola you can hook up with a E-W bike trail (can't remember the name) that will take you to the Fox River Trail that is N-S. Probably only a few more outdoor riding days left, then trainer time. :) Chicago is a great city. Best of luck.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: moving to Chicago suburb [rsmtritx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the shout out about the NRC! Naperville has about 150,000 people, as well as Aurora. It's kind of a running battle to see who has more people. It alternates. HUGE running and triathlon around here (well, more like, it's a lot bigger than you would think in this area.) How'd you end up in Eola? I recommend heading South-Southwest to bike. Lots of open roads with no traffic, but LOTS of wind. Come stop in to the store and ask for Eric and i'll set you up with info!

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depensds where you are working. Downers Grove is a good town (one of my my daughters lives there).
Quote Reply
UPDATE: moving to Chicago suburb [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello from UNC,
Well, my move is in the final stages. I said no to Eola. Mayflower packs me on the 2nd, and leaves for IL on the 3rd. Last weekend I flew-in to sign a lease in Lombard...that's a couple miles north of Downers Grove about 6 blocks south of the Metra rail line that gives me a straight shot to downtown in 35 min! I'm working in Downers Grove for a scientific company...I'm very excited! Yes, it's time to dust-off the Spinerval DVDs with trainer; and put away the wetsuit in favor of the pool! CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND THE CLOSEST SWIMMING FACILITY?...preferably in Lombard. From what I can see the Indian Boundry YMCA in Downers Grove is pretty close...thinking of joining the DuPage Ducks Masters swim group. If anyone is racing at the Spirit of Racine Half next year...drop me a line. Until next time.

David
Last edited by: UNC_Tri_Guy: Oct 24, 06 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: moving to Chicago suburb [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MY wife works in Lombard and used to swim at Glass Court and Fitness (she thinks). Apparently it's a pretty short pool, but it worked for her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Oak Book Park District has a masters swim program which I am guessing is 4- 7 miles from where you are going to live (depending upon how far east or west you are in Lombard).
Last edited by: MPB1950: Oct 24, 06 14:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lombard YIKES.. Get out of your lease move downtown to Lincoln Park do the reverse commute, swim at UIC. Are you working at Fermi Lab?

I grew up about 2 hours south of where you are now in a 3 stop light town on the NC/SC border. I've been in Chicago since 1993. Actually Lombard isn't all that bad, but I wouldn't live there ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: moving to Chicago suburb [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lincoln Park...yea, that's affordable. Maybe Oprah needs a pool boy...then I'd get my swimming in...and live in a nice place.

As is stands now, my commute to work will be 10-15 min on city streets. I'm renting for a year until I can get a better sense of the area. It's not a bad place...I'll have a HUGE yard (my dog likes that :) and a fireplace (gotten spoiled living in NC; Chi-town winter = COLD). I think I'll do just fine. However, it's going to prove to be a challenge to find a 50m pool.

BTW...is cycling around there REALLY that flat? I haven't had a chance to explore that much yet.

Thanks for the suggestions...and keep them coming!

SunnyD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice and flat. You are blocks away from the very flat Illinois Prairie Path which is crushed gravel and goes for about 40 miles round trip from where you are living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second ECE the subburbs suck move downtown where the action is. You can find affordable places to live downtown in LP, Oldtown, or Lakeview if you look for them. Plus you have the park close by where you can pick up girls with the dog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out www.xsportfitness.com they have a location in lombard and in downers grove. their pools are nice and it is about $50 a month and they are 24hrs 7 days a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For running, you're not to far from Waterfall Glen (http://www.dupageforest.com/...S/waterfallglen.html), great 9.5 mile loop, crushed limestone, and some "hills" by Chicago standards. There are also other abundant running paths in your area, check out Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA). Also lots of good tri clubs in the area. There is also a tri-specific store in Naperville besides the Naperville Running Company, which is owned by a wicked-fast age grouper. You'll quickly find yourself amongst many other tri-dorks, the Chicago area has plenty.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bet you're paying as much in Lombard as you would in Lincoln Park/Lake View/Wrigleyville. You can over pay in either place and it's a misconception that the rents in city are a lot more then in the burbs. The difference is you get a little more space for your money. The other difference is that you have to drive everywhere if you live in the burbs. I haven't owned a car in almost 10 years until this year. So 400 per month times 10 years is a lot of money I didn't have to pay because of living in the city where a car is not needed.

Out in the western burbs it gets a little more hilly but for the most part its flat as a board until you go out west near Rockford/Galena area or North towards Wisconsin/Illinios border it gets more hilly. South towards Starved Rock (2 hours SW) gets a little hilly as well. Anywhere near a river it gets a little hilly.

The weather differences between NC and Il is that it rarely snows in NC you get a lot of ice and the humdity is very high in the winter making it feel colder then it really is. Illinois the air get really dry making the cold not that bad if the wind isn't blowing. Which isn't very often. The only thing your dog is going to notice is their isn't many pine trees to piss on.

Not too many 50M pools in the area check out this link to find what's available http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Search.cfm

Oh a friend of mine from High School when to Carolina and lives in Naperville. He gets together with all you blue headed freaks for basketball games on TV and to watch the tar heels get a drumming at football. I'll never understand it but if want to know where they meet in that area send me a PM I'll see if I can find out where those misguided souls meet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David-

I live in Downers, at least for another few weeks, and my in-laws are in Lombard. The public pools around here are nothing fancy. We are sometime members of the Indian Boundary Y. It's a small pool, usually with two swimming lanes. I think a masters program meets there a few days a week in the morning.

We go more often to the Y in Glen Ellyn (B R Ryall, http://www.brryallymca.org/) as it has a therapy pool the kids like. It has plans to build decent swimming facilities, but hasn't quite raised all the money yet. Wheaton also has a nice outdoor public pool (Rice pool, http://www.wheatonparkdistrict.com/facilities/ricepool.html), but it's only open during the summer.

A serious swimmer (not me) would probably be better served to look at other options. Some of my neighbors ride and swim at Good Sam (http://www.advocatehealth.com/gsam/services/wellness/center.html), which is between Lombard and Downers. There are private pools/racquet clubs in the area as well.

UIC has a big facility and masters program (http://www.chicagobluedolphins.com/).

Let me know if you need help getting oriented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short distance from me.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple towns over is The Bike Shop of Glen Ellen www.thebikeshopge.com

Best bike shop (tri-shop) in Chicagoland area. Ask for Rich Ducar. Prairie path goes right in front of his shop!

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Quote Reply
Re: moving to Chicago suburb [5588snow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A couple towns over is The Bike Shop of Glen Ellen www.thebikeshopge.com

Best bike shop (tri-shop) in Chicagoland area. Ask for Rich Ducar. Prairie path goes right in front of his shop!
I am sure that you had a Typo and mean Mission Bay right? They can be reached at 800-FLY-BIKE...ask for Bill ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lombard will be fine for you, but a little too suburban for my tastes...

Take a look at Downers' (expensive) or Lemont (nice and less expensive) further South where I know some people who live...also, Westmont is becoming popular...Naperville is nice, especially if you have kids... Aurora is the state's 2nd Largest City...thay have nice new areas and some older good areas, plus some bad 'hoods...but dont say Aurora is bigger than Naperville to their residents (they have a "not being rated # 1" complex :-).

Not good riding in the area...too much traffic, but if you head west or south, you'll find open roads...some modest rolling hills on the south routes toward New Lenox, Frankfort...or ride the "flat as you can get" frontage roads along I-55 (lots of rider there). I heard a riding club/ group started in Downers Grove...so google them...

Running at Waterfall Glen is good...also tri the Swallow Cliff Trails approx. Rt.83 & LaGrange Rd in Palos Park...heritage Quarries in Lemont...some running paths near 7-Bridges area in Woodridge (Hobson & Rt 53) plus the Prarie Path...

There is a Masters swim club out of Edward Fitness Center (locations in Naperville & Woodridge), only a short didatnce from Lombard...

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

I live in the area. For a good tri-store I'd recommend EndureIT in Naperville (www.endureitsports.com) and there's a good running store in downtown DG (Downer's Grove Running company). There's some hills to be had if you know where to look. Waterfall Glen is great for trail running.

I swim at Lifetime Fitness, but I know there's a master's swim program in the works at Naperville Park District.

Hope this helps

Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lived in Lombard for 5 years. Houses can range from $200K for homes built in the 1950's to $1M for new construction (>3500 square feet, full basement, 2 stories, 2-3 car garage, ~60' x ~200' lot). .75 mile from the METRA station. I am 1/2 mile from the Prairie Path. It's also my route (when I take bike) to work in Maywood (~12-miles one way). College of Dupage offers membership to the general public (~$250/yr) which includes their 25 yrd pool, indoor and outdoor tracks and weight room. The only think that you have to work around are class times. But generally early mornings and evenings and weekends are open. Hope this helps and welcome to the neighborhood.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never heard of Eola and I've lived here my entire life. Best triathlon shop in Chicago is Endure It! in Naperville. Swim - Bike - Run...they have it all + the top area athletes. Rich D. was always cool to me (Sorry dude) but David Fix's team DELIVERS. I drive 90 minutes each way to shop there.

David not only owns the shop but he is a great athlete too who has been in Kona multiple times. Different than just selling product. He knows what it takes to get things done.

www.Endureitsports.com

Swimming - would recommend swimming with Sue Welker with the Naperville Waves

Good luck on your home decision. Strongly recommend finding a house CLOSE to work. Chicago area traffic sucks. I can ride my mtb bike to work (via trail) faster than I can drive ~50 miles. Buy close to work or the train if you are downtown. Worst traffic in the country - period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naperville, Lisle and Downers Grove are all nice, but if I were you I'd be sure to check out Batavia, Geneva & St. Charles. I think they are just a bit Northwest of Eola. It's a bit futher out but nice area and a lot more open road for riding, etc. You still have the Metra available if you need to commute downtown, etc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next