Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

missing ANT+ ID/can't pair SRM
Quote | Reply
Recently purchased a used Rotor 3D+ SRM MTB powermeter, and I can't for the life of me get it to pair with my Garmin. Normally I'd troubleshoot this by trying to put the ANT+ ID directly into the Garmin, but the portion of the sticker with the ANT+ ID got ripped off. So, is anybody aware of a way to determine the ANT+ ID other than that sticker? Or, does anybody have another idea to get it to pair to my Garmin? I've tried moving the magnet closer and farther from the crankset, and I have tried "waking up" the PM by going both backwards and forwards, none to any avail.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: missing ANT+ ID/can't pair SRM [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might seem like a silly question but are you sure the SRM has battery life still?
Quote Reply
Re: missing ANT+ ID/can't pair SRM [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told when he sold it to me that he'd changed it only a few months prior. I'm being a bit obtuse and can't figure out the SRM software without having one of their own head units to check, though perhaps that's the problem. Is there another way to check that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I paired my SRM to a Garmin... I didn't have to manually enter an ANT+ ID.

The Garmin just found it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enter zero (0) for the ANT ID where you'd normally enter the specific ID. It's equivalent to telling the head unit to search for the PM.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: missing ANT+ ID/can't pair SRM [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I know that's how it *should* work. But I also know from other sensors that sometimes, especially if it hasn't been used in a while, that's a good way to get it to pair if the HR strap, PM, etc doesn't want to wake up. But now I can't do that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has happened to me sometimes with my SRMs and specific Garmins. For instance, my 920XT wouldn't find it and my Edge 1000 would. I messed around with the magnet position for too long before I found out it was a Garmin problem. Try another head unit first? Garmin's advice after that is to remove all the connected ANT+ device profiles from the device, and re add them. Then, if that doesn't work, you go through the hard reset process
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet your SRM is dead as a door nail. What's a door nail anyways? They certainly don't transmit an ANT+ signal...

I'd download SimulANT+ (uses a USB ANT+ stick in your PC) and see if the SRM is actually broadcasting. Also, sometimes Garmin head units do funky things when you have a heart rate strap and/or speed/cadence sensors paired with them. Try unpairing any extraneous devices.
Quote Reply
Re: missing ANT+ ID/can't pair SRM [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I bet your SRM is dead as a door nail. What's a door nail anyways? They certainly don't transmit an ANT+ signal...

I'd download SimulANT+ (uses a USB ANT+ stick in your PC) and see if the SRM is actually broadcasting. Also, sometimes Garmin head units do funky things when you have a heart rate strap and/or speed/cadence sensors paired with them. Try unpairing any extraneous devices.

I actually unpaired the HR strap already because my experience has always been that it takes longer to pair PM if it's also looking for HR strap and I'm not wearing it. The Simulant is what I was looking for; I've used Qalvin to troubleshoot Quarq on my road/TT in the past, even tried to see if that would work with SRM but no joy. I'll try that tonight, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll send it off and hope it comes back working.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may not be wireless. Confirm with SRM if you can find the serial number.

/happened to me :(
//incompetent seller
///being charitable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the age of the SRM? A possibility is that the cadence magnet is not positioned correctly, such that it is not waking up the SRM and can be tested by removing the SRM and manually orbit the torque ring on the backside of the SRM with a magnet while trying to pair with your Garmin. Failing that, as someone who has replaced batteries in our SRM's, I will say that the battery leads are 32-gauge wires and even with a new battery, if one of those solder joints for the battery leads comes loose from the PCB in the spider, or there is a cold solder joint, then the PCB will not get power. If you are mechanically/electronically inclined (or know someone who is), removing the torque cover would allow you to check the connections, as well as use a digital volt meter to check the battery voltage.

If the battery voltage is way off, and you have the same EVE EF651625 batteries as shown in the image above and are in the US, you can replace them with Harris AN/PRC-152 HUB Batteries.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Jan 19, 16 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be sure, did you also install the magnet on the BB? If you did not install the magnet correctly on the BB the SRM will not wake up/transmit.
Next, yes when I switch PM's on the same Garmin 500, it can take multiple attempts to get the Garmin to read the new PM. Don't know why this happens. Real PITA. Do you have TrainerRoad or PerfPro (or similar) software that detect new Ant+ devices? If so, you can get the ANT+ # from that.
Quote Reply
Re: missing ANT+ ID/can't pair SRM [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simulant+ is showing a "you don't have access to view this file" even after I registered for Thisisant.com. :(
I'm thinking it might be best to start fresh with a new battery anyhow. I'll try pairing again tonight, including with my Forerunner 310 in addition to the 500. If that doesn't work, I'll consider sending it off I guess.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping my own thread because my SRM is back from Colorado with a service report saying it connected to a PC7 fine and has a fresh battery.
Still can't get the damn thing to connect to garmin 500 or 310. Simulant+ required me be a paid member of this is ant to download. Is there ANY other way to figure out ANT+ ID?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
Bumping my own thread because my SRM is back from Colorado with a service report saying it connected to a PC7 fine and has a fresh battery.
Still can't get the damn thing to connect to garmin 500 or 310. Simulant+ required me be a paid member of this is ant to download. Is there ANY other way to figure out ANT+ ID?

when you got your unit back from SRM, they typically* include a document that lists the work performed. the unit ID is often* on there.

* i'd say "always" as it has been that way every time i've sent in a unit for myself or customers over many years, but i'm sure someone will have one example of when this did not happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a USB ANT+ stick you could try Golden Cheetah in training mode, it has a dialogue to set up ANT+ devices -- AFAIR it shows the ANT+ ID.
Quote Reply
Re: missing ANT+ ID/can't pair SRM [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
iank wrote:

when you got your unit back from SRM, they typically* include a document that lists the work performed. the unit ID is often* on there.

Aha! Yes, it has a 6-digit number as an identifier. I'll try that.

* i'd say "always" as it has been that way every time i've sent in a unit for myself or customers over many years, but i'm sure someone will have one example of when this did not happen.

Quote Reply