Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

miami half ironman in oct
Quote | Reply
Water visibility What's its like ?

Whats the terrain like on the bike bumpy ?

Is the race run well?

Any tips ? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: miami half ironman in oct [podiatrist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THere's another thread re water viz that was just up a day or two ago. Look there for more but short answer- none. or maybe 2' (if it's still in Biscayne Bay). I did think I saw a shadow of something swim below me, but it was too dark to really have seen anything. It's a fine swim just not the blue/green waters you would expect in Miami.

The roads weren't too bad from what I recall but were narrow and a lot of turns. I haven't done it in a few years so take that for what is worth.

As for the runnings I can't speak to that as I did the first year and it was terrible. The host org made it right after the fact and I hear it is much better now.

Stay hydrated as it is very very humid there. In the overnight Transition drop off, cover your drivetrain with a trash bag if you're worried about water sitting on it all night as it could rain. The bridge (if they still run the bridge) gets boring but it has a lot of cheering sections to pump you up. The after party is great- lots of cold beer and great food. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard its a very fast course...I have two friends that have HIM PR on this very course for what that is worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water visibility is low - not zero but low.

Road conditions on the bike were fine - it's dead flat (being Miami and all...) and very fast.

Tips? Be prepared to run across a bridge 4 times - it's something like 70-80 feet high, not fun!
Quote Reply
Re: miami half ironman in oct [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I get that thread?
Any jelly fish ?
Quote Reply
Re: miami half ironman in oct [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't get that previous thread you mentioned ?
who wrote it.
Did you get some distance in the swim or were people on top of you.
Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search Miami or my username. I commented on it.

The swim entry was rough- they pushed us off a dock on top of each other. I've heard that it is a better entry now. Exit too.

We did a floating start and I started far left front. Never had issues with crowding or contact and we were spread out pretty quickly. That was the least on concerns in the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Miami 70.3 is sold out for this year.

I did it last year and felt it was a good, urban race. Has the normal issues you get with an urban race: lots of waves (I think about 25 last year), congestion on the bike, etc. swim is ok, not much visibility and I ran into seaweed in some places. Swim wasn't congested after the initial turn. Expect no wetsuit. Bike is flat and fast. Roads good quality for an urban race. Set my best bike split. Lots of congestion but road wide enough to accommodate. Run gets hot and no shade. 4x over a causeway hill, otherwise flat. Felt had good crowd support. Overall a fast course. Set my 70.3 PR there last year, besting my Clearwater time from 2009.

Best part is being in Miami and getting to vacation before or after.

I would do this race again. Race is very well run and lots of hotels within walking distance. Start, t1, t2, and finish all in same area. Logistically very easy. It sells out every year now for a reason.
Quote Reply
Re: miami half ironman in oct [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for this race. I've never done a HIM before. I have a question about the cut off times, are they absolute or relative. What I mean is if the swim cut off is 1:10 and it takes me 1:15, but I was in an earlier wave, will I get a DNF (but they let me keep going), or will I get an actual time?

Thank you
Quote Reply