Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lunging after "long" run
Quote | Reply
gang--today is a 7 mile run (which I'm thrilled to announce, as 7 is the gateway to 8 and then 10!)...coming out of injury, this is a long run for me, and is the longest in well over 30 months or so.

my course will be hilly...i have no choice, due to terrain where I live. i mention this because I would like to do some lunges today. perhaps lunge up and down the hill afterwards. BUT, this could be a stupid idea, considering the run and coming out of injury.

so my question is...is it stupid to lunge like this today? or, should I just wait and do it this weekend? (lunging will make me sore...i do them for a long time, up and down the road)

thanks for any advice,

kittycat
Quote Reply
Re: lunging after "long" run [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like a lot considering that this is a relatively long run for you right now (down the road it may not be as big of a deal). It is probably better to err to the side of caution related to this. You will be getting some microtrauma from the eccentric component of running and then have some more from the lunges might put you over the top. Listen to your body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just run...hold off on anything else for a while....

You've come this far, no sense in rushing things - the run will be quite the accomplishment in itself.

Good luck!

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend a loooong laaaaaaazy stretching session after a long run. Then a cold soak if you can get it.

Glad you're running again. Make sure you're ramping up mileage and intensity slowly. Enjoy each and every run. And leave your ego out of it.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: lunging after "long" run [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes that's good advice. i will stretch alot today, and lunge tomorrow. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KC, might even wanna skip that day in between, and do an easy "recovery" run (oxymoron), or easy spin on the bike/trainer/rollers/whatever, then do lunges on Sunday.

Doing 2 hard workouts on consecutive days isn't a great idea for many/most people, and particularly if there are injury issues still potentially in play.

2 things I like to do after a long run (if I have the time, and in addition to stretching) are either sitting in a cold bath or shower (on the legs/glutes only) for a few mins (then turn it up to normal temp and shower as normal), and/or sitting w/ back flat on the floor w/ legs perpendicular (vertical), aganst a wall, for 4-6 mins. Both really seem to help w/ recovery after a long run.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: lunging after "long" run [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday? rats. i know you're right though. just anxious for the burn i guess.
Quote Reply