Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long ride question for base period.
Quote | Reply
If you're training for long course racing I assume you want to build you r long ride to around 6 hours.

Assume you're building your long ride up to six hours throughout your base period. After you've reached the 6 hour mark do you take a number of six hour rides over a period of weeks or months or should your longest ride be a goal. In other words, should my goal be 1 six hour ride at the end of my last base period or should I reach that 6 hour mark by the second base period and then continue with those rides for the rest of the base periods?

Thanks,

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: long ride question for base period. [Tom 538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom,

it really depends on the race you're doing and a host of other personal factors which is your athlete makeup. also the long bikes for IM training wil extend beyond the Base periods and into your Build periods.

that said, i encourage atheltes to have numerous 6+ hour rides(3-4) but even more important is 4-5 hour bikes with longer runs after, like 1-2 hours! the big bikes are important but the race comes comes down to the run.

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Re: long ride question for base period. [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

I've been participating in races for 5 years and I'm looking to start "racing" in my age group at the half IM distance then eventually trying to qualify for Hawaii (in 4-5 years).

I'm trying to figure out where to be with my training by May of next spring.

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: long ride question for base period. [Tom 538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good info. 6 hour rides are bit much for Half IM focus but if you like riding have fun.

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many weeks out from an IM can I still be doing these 4-5 hour rides and 1-2 hour runs? How many week taper leading up to IM do you recommend? Thanks!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gordo recomended that since my 1/2 pr is 5:38 my long ride should be greater than 5:38 but not longer than 6:00 if competing is a goal rather than just finishing. It wasn't clear though about numers of long rides at that time.
Quote Reply