Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

life of running shoes
Quote | Reply
How many miles can you get out of a pair of running shoes? I'm about 185 pounds, I live in a humid environment, and I sweat a lot. I'm assuming the sweat breaks down the shoes over time. I put newspaper in my shoes after my runs to try to dry them out, but during the summer they're rarely 100% dry. I know, that's kind of gross, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it right now.

Thanks,
Adam
Quote Reply
Re: life of running shoes [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoes take at least 24-48 hours to dry completely, without the humidity factor. buy two pairs at a time and swap them for your runs. the newspaper helps too.

miles - depends on how hard you are on shoes. i usually swap every 300-400 but some people can go 600 no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: life of running shoes [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the shoes. I usually get 400-500 miles out of a pair. I changed to a lighter shoe this year (NB 900) and got just a little over 300.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuck from Vitruvian had the best suggestion I've seen. He says that when you find a pair you like, get 2. Run in one 90% of the time and the other 10%. when you can tell the difference, it is time for a new pair. Make that new pair your 10% and your previous 10%s your 90% pair. And, so on.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never understod the 600 miles lifespan of shoes. I've been running on the same pair for about 2 years, 25-35 miles a week. I'm kind of slow but I don't think that matters. What is supposed to be wearing out?

I weigh 183 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: life of running shoes [Tom 538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I've never understod the 600 miles lifespan of shoes. I've been running on the same pair for about 2 years, 25-35 miles a week. I'm kind of slow but I don't think that matters. What is supposed to be wearing out?

I weigh 183 lbs.[/reply]

Put a bullet in 'em suckers, 'cuz theys dead.

Try the above test with a new pair. I'm guessing that you'll feel a clear difference. worn out is NOT when your toes are coming through.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question. I have a 3 year old pair of grid static racers that I have used for 9 half Ironmans, 4 olympic tris and two tris with 15K runs, plus some training. All this running was fairly hard. I estimate a total of ~600K on these racing flats and I was just thinking that they need to be replaced for this year. On regular shoes, I am not that particular. Typically I do 2500K per year of running and purchase 2-3 new pairs, so around 1000K per pair (or 600 miles).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

When thorns start perforating the ball of my feet, I start thinking about ditching them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually about 400-500 miles for lightweight trainers (Mizuno Wave precision, DS trainers), a little more for a typical structured running shoes (most). Racing shoes - maybe 250 miles (i.e Saucony fastwitch, ASICS DS racers, Nike Zoom milers, etc.) Running surface, weight, cadence, etc. play a huge role of course.

Quote | Reply
Some people say every xxx miles or 6-months. I think that's a bit like changing your car's oil every 3000 miles. Necessary for some, but not all (most).

The cushion is the thing that goes, they don't start falling apart or anything. Say I do 20 miles per week x 4 weeks x 6 months == 480 miles

Add a some miles to that for races, long runs, etc. I just replaced my shoes after 7 months and can definitely feel the cushion of the new shoes. Your mileage may vary, but I suggest being nice to your legs and knees if your wallet can stand it.
Quote Reply
Re: life of running shoes [Thierry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
When thorns start perforating the ball of my feet, I start thinking about ditching them.[/reply]

Ditchng your feet? ;) Of course, you run barefooted. (Yes, folks he's one of those.) What about when you actually wear shoes?

Quote Reply
Re: life of running shoes [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

[reply]Ditchng your feet?[/reply]

Those things are amazingly resilient. I think I'll be able to recycle them 'til the end of the ride. ;) .. too chicken to run barefoot anymore (stubbed toe on curb: ~5mos off.) I am always on the lookout for adequate but minimal foot protection. I know that my lousy run form gets even worse with SUV style sneakers. Right now I do trails in XC waffles, road in H-Street or NB-RC110 (discontinued). The waffles have beefy soles but the others have no more than 5-10mm of material at the ball of the foot, and getting thinner by the miles.

It seems as if lines of running shoes marketed by the same companies are different in the US, Japan, EU, Aus... in the US it's getting pretty difficult to find "minimal" shoes, even for getiing around town, and when you do find them the are ridiculously expensive. BTW I noticed that Bjorn, in typical EU fashion, is wearing Puma's in TomD's picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are 30 you might not notice some worn out shoes, but by the time you get my age you realize that shoes are cheaper than orthopedic surgeons, podiatrists, etc. Protect your joints for LIFE, not just for this season. Change your shoes once a month if you can afford it and are running a lot. I know a top runner who gives his shoes away after 100 miles, or so he claims. (Of course, he gets free shoes.)

I use a variant of the 10% rule. I use my race shoes for two or three races and then move them to training for a 3-5 weeks depending on how much I'm runnning.

I've been running injury free most of my life thanks to this approach.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: life of running shoes [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]When you are 30 you might not notice some worn out shoes, but by the time you get my age you realize that shoes are cheaper than orthopedic surgeons, podiatrists, etc. [/reply]

This is absolutely my feeling too. I can afford shoes, but I can't afford a knee or hip replacement. I made the mistake of running too long in one pair that was basically no cushioning at all (when I got a new pair and compared them). I also find that I run faster at long distances in newer shoes, probably because I'm not taking the same beating I would be in old shoes. I am at about 350 in my current pair of Mizuno Mavericks, and that's really too much. For reference, I weigh 160 and run most of the time between 7 and 9 mins pace. I can REALLY tell the difference when I get over the 15 mile mark.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you want minimalist shoes definetely look to the Japanese and euro market, a lot more popular there. Asics has a new lightweight trainer out the Speedstar which might be an option to look into...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on you're build and how hard you pound them, the shoes (ie lightweight trainer vs. heavy motion control) as wella s the shoe model. I'd say they range from 300-600 miles. What shoe are you currently wearing? Best bet is just to pick up a new pair anyways, try it out and if you can't tell a difference leave it on the shelf for a while longer, or better yet rotate it in with your old shoe. Chances are you'll see a pretty big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: life of running shoes [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for the tip. We should be able to generate enough of a market to entice the US companies to sell their own lightweights here ;)
Last edited by: Thierry: Sep 21, 05 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm telling you, try the new Vitruvians. Nice flexible forefoot and only a 10mm heel rise. $60. Eamil Chuck there. He is very helpful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

From the look of 'em the Vitruvians look just like any basic sneakers from the 70's (Adidas/Saucony/Asics Tiger 0nitsuka...) I run in the Asics once in a while, but it's still too much of a shoe... according to my AT ;) I'll tell you that tendon is a running form nazi!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
From the look of 'em the Vitruvians look just like any basic sneakers from the 70's (Adidas/Saucony/Asics Tiger 0nitsuka...) I run in the Asics once in a while, but it's still too much of a shoe... according to my AT ;) I'll tell you that tendon is a running form nazi![/reply]

Didn't you like those shoes better than what's out there now?????

Onitsuka is Asics if I remember.???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Asics Japan:

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722001351/page/1.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in school, there was no Asics--only Onitsuka or Onitsuko. Were they all tigers or only certain models. I can't remember.

Quote Reply