Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

left hand (ring, pinky finger) numb post MS150
Quote | Reply
Did the MS150 this weekend (Houston-Austin). The two fingers mentioned above are kind of numb. Thoughts/suggestions? I did feel like I was putting a lot of pressure on my hands in the drops, would different hand positions be better? What other suggestions should I consider?

I've never had this happen before. But, my longest ride to this point was about 75, several times, and then the bike leg of a HIM.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: left hand (ring, pinky finger) numb post MS150 [nycowl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a rather severe case of this when I first started riding. After one ride I had numbness and a loss of power in my grip.

One thing I noticed was that I had the tendency of bending my wrists in to form a 90 degree angle. I'm no doctor, but for me I believe this was the cause and was a bit like "Carpel tunnel". IOW teh severe angle of teh wrists caused some "compression" and or damage of some sort to the nerves that go to the hand.

What I did was a couple of things. Made sure to ride with my wrists not bent, Changed hand positions often and over time my lower back muscles became stronger so I actually ended up with less pressure on my hands.

In my case my numbness went away in about a week but it took a good 2-3 weeks to regain full strength. I didn't go, but I'd suggest going to see a doctor, just in case.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like ulnar neuropathy - usually (but not always) because of the nerve (ulnar) that runs along medial groove at elbow (stand with your palms forward, the medial side is closest to your body). Could be because of compression (do you use aero position, are your elbow rests padded, do you rest your elbow or just your forearm?). Would likely need to see a doctor (neurologist or brachial plexus neurosurgeon/ortho surgeon/plastic surgeon) if the problem was persisting. If you can get rid of it by getting rid of the compression (for example changing the aero position), then that would be the easiest. Either way, see a doctor.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ulnar nerve palsy. Fairly common in epic rides, especially if you aren't accustomed to the distance. Most likely it will clear in a week or maybe two.

Shift position often, wear gloves until you get used to long rides, make sure your saddle isn't tilted forward and your reach is OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna take a wild guess that only half your ring finger is numb - the half towards the pinkie. If so, definitely ulnar neuropathy. The median nerve innervates the other half of the ring finger. Specialized makes a glove that is of high quality and has an ulnar gel pad, supposedly taking the pressure off the ulnar nerve.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
active release techniques is great for nerve entrapemnts. There are differents nerve entrapment sites for ulnar nerve, this one most likely being the tunnal of Guyon.
Quote Reply
Re: left hand (ring, pinky finger) numb post MS150 [PresbyOpie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Specialized gel stuff? I tried it and it seems to work. I use gel bar tape too.
Quote Reply
Re: left hand (ring, pinky finger) numb post MS150 [Superman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the gloves and like 'em - they're light weight, durable, and hold up well to washing.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply