Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ironmanuk v longest day
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am currently entered ironamn uk but am having some concerns over the bike and run course which are supposed to be brutal. I am a normal triathlete with a job doing c15hrs per week training for the ironman but have heard the longest day course may be easier.
Does anyone know or have done either course and know what they are like
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [irisheyes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the IMUK course but not the Longest Day. The question really is whether you want to chew on duckshit, get cheered by fewer people than your bike has gears and run up and down an old railway cutting or picturesque swim course by a pair of Castles, beautiful rolling bike course and cheered the whole race long. On the other hand TLD has some cool retro finisher tracksuit jackets a couple of years ago.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, just how rolling is the bike course, apparently they have changed it a bit this year and it has 2250m climbing now! i am just an ordinary age grouper no elite by a long way. also waht is run course like?

thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike course has no major hills, although Lions Gate is a hill that you want to get into a rythmn for. You can do it seated fine but it is a little taxing last time around. It's not the course you want to do if you are after a fast time, that would be Austria, but it's hardly IM France at Gerardmer with 8000m climbing. The run course is like a normal 1/2 course doubled by who wants a flat run course anyway. Go enjoy it. The crowds and organisation and (as much as can be guaranteed) the better weather of the two.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Chubbly Geezer [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by Betty Swollox [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Betty Swollox: Apr 12, 06 7:08
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [Betty Swollox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longest day is RIP

http://www.wimdedoncker.be
Quote Reply
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [Chubbly Geezer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful what you say about IMUK. The organisers have been taking legal action against people who criticise their event. This includes comments made on websites. Believe it or not, I can assure you this is true.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [wimothy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
longest day is RIP
??? http://www.longestday.co.uk/ld/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you give us an update on this - I remember reading the guy's story somewhere but can't remember any of the details

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comments were made on websites which questioned how competent the organizers were. Safety concerns were made about the bike and run course. Allegations of course cutting were made on the swim and bike.

Organizers have demanded compensation with threat of legal action if comments are not withdrawn and public apologies made.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

I did the first half IMUK and have done TLD, i thought that TLD was very very good, the atmosphere was great, the support was good, aid stations good, course good and not too busy, enough people so as not to be lonely but no worry about draughting. The run is a bit dull though and was very muddy when i did it in 2004. However, i would definately do it again over IMUK, i just don't see how an IM can fit into Sherbourne without overcrowding etc.

Just my opinion though, if you need or love the buzz of the BIG event and the spectators etc then go Mdot, if you like it a bit more old school (and cheaper) then i couldn'y fault Martin who ran TLD.

Let us know what you decide...

William
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the duckshit some kind of English delicacy?

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll leave that kind of thing to you down home boys in Iowa with your world famous cusine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMUK last year as my first IM and although the course was tough I wouldn't have described it as brutal. I got around in 11:46 with an average of 9hours/week training in the 6months leading up to it - peaking at 18hours (once !), but I'm used to cycling and running in pretty undulating terrain (the Chilterns) and like a challenge. I thouroughly enjoyed the race and thought the atmosphere was great. Ironman isn't meant to be easy...

I've signed up for TLD this year - the profile still look rolling, but not quite as lumpy.

I'm also planning on The Grand Columbian (Washington state) in September (which has a good climb or two on it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I hit a nerve there, no wonder you all have rotten teeth.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,
I am a normal triathlete with a job doing c15hrs per week training for the ironman.......

You should have no problems whatsoever on either course with this amount of training. They are both 140.6 miles long, one is lumpier than the other. What are you worrying about? It's the same for everyone.

Also have to add that if you are consistently averaging 15 hrs per week, I would consider you more than 'normal'.

JC
Last edited by: JC: Apr 13, 06 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [JC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done longest day and totally recommend it as a long course event. No major hills to speak of on the bike and the run course is pretty flat. I have not done IMUK but from all that I have heard about it I personally would not enter the race yet until all the teething problems get ironed out.

The main difference between the two races is that longest day does not have all the bells and whistles attached that an M dot race would. If that is not a problem for you, you will enjoy the event.

LD is only organised by a local tri club but the race crew support is fantastic and I felt it was as well supported as any m dot race I have done. ( have done 3 so far).

happy to answer any specific questions about the course.
Quote Reply
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [Dougle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the help and replies, the bike course supposedly has changed this year for ironman uk and is harder than last year with 2250metres climbing which wouldnt look out of place on a tour stage! but as mentioned you dont do it cause its easy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ain't you a purdy one, I bet all the boys love you.

Quote Reply
Re: ironmanuk v longest day [JC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, i think i will go for imuk might as well go for the official one as it may be the only one i do. i think i need the 15 hrs a week because of my weight 210lbs. i used to play rugby so not carrying much fat but juist big frame-thats why i am worried about the climbing on the bike
Quote Reply