Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ironman florida 70.3 [no swim warm up]
Quote | Reply
I have not run across this in years.... no getting into the water before race to get comfortable. Sorry swim gods there are many that need to do this. Not so much if it is a wetsuit swim, Sunday was non wetsuit. My race went south because I got out of sink and could not get comfortable even after stopping 3 times to regroup. Maybe it was the two who cut in front of me that said they could not do this. Or maybe it was the 3 or 4 that I saw hanging on the course markers on the first leg, I can only guess. Regrouping on land is one thing, it is entirely different in the water. I hope they were able to regroup and finish. I got down to the first turn and things were not working. I was swim ready, many 2200 yard swims and was not nervous before the race. It came down to one thing, not getting in the water and getting comfortable before the race start..With the issue of water safety being forefront the last couple of years I really do not understand this, sorry this is stupid.. If there would have been a notice on the sign up sheet about no water entry before the race start I would have not signed up.There was nothing in the email info or packet pickup. If there was something said at the race meeting I missed it. They did say they would annouce at 4:30 am if wetsuits were legal. I wanted to get this race season off with a bang, this sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
IIt came down to one thing, not getting in the water and getting comfortable before the race start.

What was stopping you from "getting comfortable" after the race start? Did someone make you swim too hard? Was there no room on the side, or at the back, for you to do whatever you need to do to get comfortable?

If you did a run/bike/swim race, would your race go south if you didn't swim prior to the race?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No big deal. I just did Napa last weekend and never did any swim warm up. I did not get into the water until about a minute before the start.

Instead to get the heart rate up I did some running in shoes in my wetsuit. Bending. Jumping jacks.

I had no issues during the swim.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's crazy. I'm with you rhudson -- given all the safety concerns with the swim portion, not letting participants get in and splash around a bit is really poor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also wished I had been able to warm up. I was able to have a good swim but I was annoyed.

The reason I'm annoyed is because it seems like every single email from WTC promotes their swim safe initiative which practically screams that you need a good in water warm up and then you get to the race and it's a totally different song and dance.

sorry ... off my soap box :-)

If you are curious. Here's how I made it work. One before the race in my swim practices I have found that going right from sprint sets to slow recovery has helped me learn to recover while I'm swimming. Next, I know I want to swim a bit before I start so when we waded into the water for the start I took about 8 swim strokes in that shallow area. Third I started out very very very slow to warm up.

So, with that I was okay. I'm sorry you had a tough swim.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
rhudson wrote:
IIt came down to one thing, not getting in the water and getting comfortable before the race start.

What was stopping you from "getting comfortable" after the race start? Did someone make you swim too hard? Was there no room on the side, or at the back, for you to do whatever you need to do to get comfortable?

If you did a run/bike/swim race, would your race go south if you didn't swim prior to the race?

What in the world does getting comfortable for a swim mean? The gun goes off, one swims like crazy to try and minimize the rough water. There is nothing comfortable about a swim start.

Now if a person has not practiced enough open water swimming that might be one issue.

I never am comfortable before or during a swim race start. It is hell. Only until I get past the crazy folks that burn out after a hundred yards or so can I settle into some type of comfort.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
klehner wrote:
rhudson wrote:

What in the world does getting comfortable for a swim mean? The gun goes off, one swims like crazy to try and minimize the rough water. There is nothing comfortable about a swim start.

Now if a person has not practiced enough open water swimming that might be one issue.

I never am comfortable before or during a swim race start. It is hell. Only until I get past the crazy folks that burn out after a hundred yards or so can I settle into some type of comfort.

Being comfortable for a swim start means being prepared to swim your best. You should look into that approach some time.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
klehner wrote:
rhudson wrote:

Being comfortable for a swim start means being prepared to swim your best. You should look into that approach some time.

And your point is?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
klehner wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
klehner wrote:
rhudson wrote:

And your point is?

I know you ignore my posts, but...

Why is a swim start hell? A bit dramatic to characterize it that way, don't you think? If you aren't comfortable, go to the side or the back and have clean water the entire way. If you are comfortable, sprint for a hundred meters and settle in with the front group. I don't think you should ever 'go like crazy' on a swim start in a 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
klehner wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
klehner wrote:
rhudson wrote:

And your point is?

Why is a swim start hell? A bit dramatic to characterize it that way, don't you think? If you aren't comfortable, go to the side or the back and have clean water the entire way. If you are comfortable, sprint for a hundred meters and settle in with the front group. I don't think you should ever 'go like crazy' on a swim start in a 70.3.

Yep, and you know why.

Since the guy was freaking out about no swim start, yep, I decide to use words that fit his post.

I never have issues with a swim start from lack of training. And yes, I always start on the side of somewhere I hope to be comfortable since I can panic attack if I get hit or too rough water.

Was just trying to offer ways I have found to be successful doing a swim without the ability to do a pre swim, either because the water was too cold, or the race did not allow it. I have made the mistake
of not being ready so was just trying to pass on my experience.

Since I do not race 70.3's

And again, go like crazy is a relative comment just to make the point compared to posts that I do not care what type of race I do in length, I never start like a slug. Do I sprint ever, nope. Do I usually start a little
faster than the rest of the race. Yep. Why? To try and get away from the folks who go out too fast, and to try and catch the legs of a person a little faster than me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim warm up is a good thing, of course, and RDs that don't allow it are lame. But it should not be seen as a substitute to learning how to swim, which (don't get mad) you clearly don't know how to do. You are not comfortable in open water! There's no fixing that other than to swim more. A lot more. Swim every day, and swim OWS, until you get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, I agree they they should let you in the water to acclimate before the start. BUT, that is NOT why you had a poor race. Do you go out for a warm up ride - likely not and yet you transition to bike "cold". What I'm getting at is that you should be able to adapt to the conditions, blaming "no swim warmup" is a cop out. Suck it up and learn to warm up on land - do an easy jog, arm swings and other stretches so you are ready to go, then GO.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does a swim warmup really help with safety? I'm not a fast swimmer and certainly don't enjoy getting kicked or have someone swim over me so I mostly try to stay off to the side somewhere and find some open areas where I can just relax and plod along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the guy was freaking out about no swim start, yep, I decide to use words that fit his post.

I never have issues with a swim start from lack of training. And yes, I always start on the side of somewhere I hope to be comfortable since I can panic attack if I get hit or too rough water.

Was just trying to offer ways I have found to be successful doing a swim without the ability to do a pre swim, either because the water was too cold, or the race did not allow it. I have made the mistake
of not being ready so was just trying to pass on my experience. //

What suggestion did you offer? The OP didn't even say why he was out of sync in the swim. You assumed it was related to a lack of jumping jacks and offered that suggestion???

You then suggested that swim starts are a bunch of people going like crazy to avoid the hell. Why? The suggestion isn't to do a warmup, it is to get more comfortable in open water by swimming more in open water. The other piece is to stay a way for people like you who potentially panic and think the swim is hell.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
Does a swim warmup really help with safety? I'm not a fast swimmer and certainly don't enjoy getting kicked or have someone swim over me so I mostly try to stay off to the side somewhere and find some open areas where I can just relax and plod along.

+100

People all jumped on the physical aspect of a warmup. Sounds like the OP has a mental block about open water and got psyched out by a few things that happened. Learn to stay away from the crazies in the water and it makes life a lot better. 2 ways to do that, be ahead of them or behind/beside them.
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Apr 17, 15 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:

I do not believe it always does!!!

I did a swim warmup in a race a few years ago. My normal 10 minutes before race start. When I got back to the start a few minutes before to get ready, I was shivering so badly I could not stop it.
I found out after that this warmup in 53 degree water gave me hypothermia. After reading what others do for getting ready for a cold water swim, I never do a pre swim anymore. Just keep lots of clothes
on to keep the core temp up. Then I do things like running, etc. to get the heart rate up. Have never had an issue with a cold water swim start since with no swim warmup.

So when a comment is made that one always need to do a swim warmup because of safety, well, ....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

+100

People all jumped on the physical aspect of a warmup. Sounds like the OP has a mental block about open water and got psyched out by a few things that happened. Learn to stay away from the crazies in the water and it makes life a lot better. 2 ways to do that, be ahead of them or behind/beside them.

This is what I was thinking too. I always considered the 'swim warmup' more a way to get your face in the water to mentally prepare yourself, get rid of the fight/flight panic, and not to have your lungs tighten up due to panic (and sometimes cold water). So for someone who is still uncomfortable about OWS, as I once was, I can see why he/she would be upset about not being able to get in. As others said, probably would have been a good idea for the OP to go to the side or back and take their time for the first few minutes, enjoy the warm water and chill out mentally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
So when a comment is made that one always need to do a swim warmup because of safety, well, ....

Again, this circles back to the common h2ofun theme of "The world is not about you."

Not everyone drowns in a tri swim. But it does happen. People literally die. Every year.

If letting people jump in the water for 5 mins before they swim helps them not die, seems good right? Even if something doesn't benefit YOU PERSONALLY, do you see how it might be a good thing for the world as a whole?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on this. It used to be every tri I did had an opportunity to get in the water before the race. This practice seems to have stopped about 10 years ago. What's the big deal? Let us in the damn water before the gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JOOC, did they have guards all along the beach such that you could not get in anywhere??? I'm thinking this would require like 50 guys spaced out every 10 yds or so the beach, which i'm having a hard time picturing. No way to sneak in the water??? Also, were there not any hotel pools on/near the beach where you could warm up in the pool??? I've done this at a few coastal resort races.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you were one of the many who were unprepared for a non wetsuit swim. I was able to warm up on the beach prior to getting into the water. Then had 3 minutes of waiting in the water to get acclimated to the temp. It is possible to warm up for a swim without actually swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
klehner wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
klehner wrote:
rhudson wrote:

And your point is?

Have you done this race? I was in the next to last wave of the swim. I'm very comfortable swimming, however was only really comfortable a few times in this swim. There is no "front group" in an AG wave start. There were so many people rolled over on their backs "survival swimming" halfway through. I really wish WTC would do self seeded corrals for swim waves so stronger swimmers aren't drownding weaker ones. I saw at least 5 different colored swim caps on my swim. As a whole thought there was more contact here than at IMFL PCB. There at least it's only 100-200 yards of contact then you're clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
he was out of sync in the swim.

No, he was out of "sink". :-)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Trev [ In reply to ]
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Again, this circles back to the common h2ofun theme of "The world is not about you."

Not everyone drowns in a tri swim. But it does happen. People literally die. Every year.

If letting people jump in the water for 5 mins before they swim helps them not die, seems good right? Even if something doesn't benefit YOU PERSONALLY, do you see how it might be a good thing for the world as a whole?

When is the last time someone actually drowned in a tri-swim? There's been numerous deaths attributed to underlying health issues, but outright drowned? From what I understand not that many.
Quote Reply

Prev Next