Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
insight on tri bike shopping
Quote | Reply
Hi all! I just sold my road bike after two years of getting my feet wet in the sport and I am in the market for my first tri bike. I know my post is lengthy and I am new to the forum, but I wanted to get all the advice I can get. (any pointers would be appreciated for posts too)
I'm starting with getting a fit/measurement done to outline the bikes I should be looking at. I know the fit and comfort will ultimately tell me what bike I should get and I am trying to get an idea of other bikes out there. However, I am biased towards cervelo with my fiancé and her mom each having p2 classics. I have ridden the bikes, granted they weren't fit to me, but I got a little taste of what the p2 is like. I have tried to find reviews of the classic p2, but all the articles/reviews I could find are on the new (2014- present) p2/3 frame. Everyone has been raving about it being better than the classic. So I go into full research mode and try to dig up everything I can to make an informed decision, but I would really like outside opinion and advice from experienced riders. I do go on a bit of tangent, but here is what I've got to consider and associated expenses:

Preliminary fit/measurements- $200 = idea of what bikes to look at & complete fitting after bike purchase.

LBS with a "new" leftover classic 2013 p2 ultegra 10 speed marked down to $2000, probably could get it a little lower. No fitting included.

Different LBS with the white/blue p2 105 for $2400 and a free fitting included. ($150 value). Would replace preliminary fit potentially?

other bikes considering:
2016 cannonade slice 105 -$1950 with free fitting ($150)
2016 QR Kilo $1900- no fitting included
2016 QR Lucero $2400- no fitting included
2016 BMC timemachince TM02 $1875-$2500- no fitting included
2016 Cervelo p2 105 $2800- fitting included
2014-2016 trek speed concept-cannot find anywhere

I am a grad student and Im really trying to stay around $2000. Yes, I realize a few of the bikes are moderately above that price point, but I plan on keeping this bike and if spending a little more is worth it I'm willing to do it. I know this was a whole lot of information, but I just wanted to try and layout the whole picture.

Please feel free to address any of the bikes, ill eliminate any that don't fit me after I get measured on Friday, Oct 21st 2016. Unless I'm pointed towards one of the other options listed. I may be able to just get measured for $50.

I would really appreciate an answers to my questions, any help, experience, and what you would suggest to do.
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [dcolv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to get old stock you should really be looking at the used market. There is a lot of value out there and specifically around this time of year deals are to be had! You should be able to find some great deals and honestly bike components wear for a long time and are relatively cheap to replace (cassette, chain, chainrings... etc)

I'd gravitate towards an 11spd. bike if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Other than that it appears you have your marks in a row.
1. Price
2. Fit
3. Personal feelings :)

Me personally I like to buy used bikes with Ultegra components.
Last edited by: clutchy: Oct 16, 16 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, there is a lot of value out there. But I don't want to get caught without a warranty either, kind of a safety net to have while on a budget. I know you're right about components and the cost of replacing them, I'm more concerned about the frame.

Do you feel the price of the new old stock p2 ultegra is too high?

I would like to pick up an 11 speed if I can, but key word is the right price like you said.

Thanks for the reassurance on my order. We will see how things fall after the measurements on friday.

Since you tend to lean towards used bikes with ultegra, any suggestions on what to look for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcolv wrote:
I agree, there is a lot of value out there. But I don't want to get caught without a warranty either, kind of a safety net to have while on a budget. I know you're right about components and the cost of replacing them, I'm more concerned about the frame.

Do you feel the price of the new old stock p2 ultegra is too high?

I would like to pick up an 11 speed if I can, but key word is the right price like you said.

Thanks for the reassurance on my order. We will see how things fall after the measurements on friday.

Since you tend to lean towards used bikes with ultegra, any suggestions on what to look for?

I picked up a single season 2015/6 speed concept 7.5 on this site for a great price and it was local.

Cervelo's are very popular and as such there should be more of them but I feel like they always command a premium; even the older ones.
I think you need to get a bike you actually want that fits you though. I was open to multiple brands but initially centered on cervelo b/c it's the "TRI" bike.

I don't think you can go wrong as it's a great time to buy and carbon fiber is really strong. It's not like it gets used up. You just need to watch and be aware of crash damage.

you'll love whatever you get :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a P2C I got new in 2009/10 (can't quite remember). Still ride it today, still good enough for me.

Have thought about upgrading but in all honesty, I can't justify the extra $$ for something which I probably wouldn't notice much difference on. And at least my front end is easy to take to bits for transporting!

Definitely get a fitting though, preferably from someone who has no interest in selling you a particular brand of bike - I understand that Mr Slowtwitch is of the opinion that Cervelos will fit most people, but maybe you're an outlier...?

Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clutchy wrote:

I don't think you can go wrong as it's a great time to buy and carbon fiber is really strong. It's not like it gets used up. You just need to watch and be aware of crash damage.

you'll love whatever you get :)

Yeah second hand road/TT bikes are generally not that much of a gamble, second hand MTB would be iffy. My brother picked up a second hand Wilier Twin blade running SRAM red for $2500Aud, RRP new is around $6500USD for framset.

I see nice Giant trinities going cheap on facebook all the time too, people buy them for one race and sell them. I've seen some nice 2015 Di2 bikes going for $2500 with everything you need apart from race wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if budget is a constraint, why go 11 speed? there's heaps of 10 speed wheels and components that are being offloaded as people move to 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried to look everywhere for a speed concept to try out and see how it feels, but i can't find anything even in adjacent states. Jealous, nice find.

I agree and I tend to see more of them. The premium for the used cervelo bikes is a little ridiculous. I turn to bike blue book to give me a rough estimate and then work up the components. I get fit friday, but I'm trying to prep myself for the fight about what i want vs what fits. That should be the bike I want, but it may not be the one I like most.

Thanks for the thoughts and your time, ill keep updating as I move along! :)
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike, I know its a good one and I am keeping my options open looking for one. At the same time, I like the new frame p2.

You make a great point, will I notice the difference of the classic p2 to the new one? Eh maybe, probably not. But i do see it from the stand point of new bike vs. used for the same price. I always try to play devils advocate and put an older bike with higher grade components against a new one with slightly lower. Again will i notice the difference, no not really. Just mind games.

Planning on measurements on Friday to suggest what I should look for and ill relay that info and measurements when I get it!

Thats one of the reasons I'm going to this fitter, she has no connections to any shop or retailer.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reassurance. Ill keep that in mind when browsing the classifieds.

I haven't seen any trinities either and I know none of the local shops carry them without ordering them in. Reason for using for one race and selling because they are no good?

I like the idea of Di2, not necessary for me on a budget though.
If you happen to find anything interesting in adds pm me please.
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [suahoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because a couple of the new bikes I'm considering are closeout 11 speeds within my budget range. I know you're right and a great point, I just don't have an concrete idea yet of what bikes i should be looking at from my measurement numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcolv wrote:
Thanks for the reassurance. Ill keep that in mind when browsing the classifieds.

I haven't seen any trinities either and I know none of the local shops carry them without ordering them in. Reason for using for one race and selling because they are no good?

I like the idea of Di2, not necessary for me on a budget though.
If you happen to find anything interesting in adds pm me please.

I'm in Australia and Giants are just really common and pretty cheap new in comparison to say Cervelo which is really expensive here. The reason for selling is simple, many people fork out the cash for all the best gear when they get into the sport, do one Ironman and retire from triathlon. Buying second hand is just taking advantage of all those mid lifers with loads of disposable cash wanting to tick an Ironman of their bucket list. Plenty of young guys buy the nice gear and realise with their career that they don't have the hours to put into the sport, plus pro's sell their old gear.

Is their anything wrong with Giants ? I've riden my brothers 2016 Di2 trinity and thought it was a pretty fast bike, plenty of fast guys in Australia ride them. I don't know if the USA has something similar, but we have a triathlon marketplace group on Facebook, that's where the bargains are. Although with most poster on here being from the USA, the classifieds on this site is probably a decent place to look.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Oct 18, 16 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
but we have a triathlon marketplace group on Facebook, that's where the bargains are.

I didn't realize it was AUS when I joined the group (doesn't say in the group name), I wonder how many bikes on there are stolen because the prices are literally crazy low based on what I have seen with the global markets elsewhere.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
but we have a triathlon marketplace group on Facebook, that's where the bargains are.

I didn't realize it was AUS when I joined the group (doesn't say in the group name), I wonder how many bikes on there are stolen because the prices are literally crazy low based on what I have seen with the global markets elsewhere.

I think people are just tight when it comes to buying second hand, you see lots of items start high and there's just no takers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your target is around $2K, and you can find old stock at that price, and you fit, a P2 is an absolute slam dunk. Just be sure to get a P2 newer than 2013, when they made it the same as the P3 (with a different fork). There is a material aerodynamic difference between the earlier P2 and the current P2/P3.

I tried to buy used earlier this year, and I had no success finding a good value on a good bike at my price point. There were absolutely no Cervelos for sale for the three months I was looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giants tri bikes are not as popular here, at least in the area of the usa I live in. I see a few here and there listed used, but 5x more used bikes in other brands. Cervelos are given a very high value here. Yes, they are good bikes, but at least from the previous generation i feel like its almost for the name and vroomen/white design factor, kind of applying a collectors item value to the bikes. And thats coming from someone who is a biased fan of the brand.

I think you're right, there are similar reasons for people selling here, from those just ticking a box, to people not having the time, to pros getting next years rig. Im learning it takes patience to find the right bike and the right owner in the used market. Seeing bikes that aren't taken care of in a lot of listings. This makes me lean the other direct to purchasing new.

I have been trying to find someone local who has one to get some feedback on how they like the bike. The lbs who sells giants says they would have to order one and they won't ever stock them so I'm having tough luck checking one out. Good to hear you like the giants and to see they are becoming popular. Maybe they will begin to grow over here.

I have been keeping an eye on ebay like a hawk and checking the forum every couple days for used deals. But right now my best options are looking new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
P90Puma wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

I think people are just tight when it comes to buying second hand, you see lots of items start high and there's just no takers.

You can say that again! I realize people are trying to recover their investment, but just like you said "starting high and no takers" makes for a tough market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, in your price range, you can get a really nice bike. If you are willing to go to a $2500 number, I would consider buying 11s Di2 if you can find the right deal and if the frame allows that type of integration.

To me, Di2 was a game changer with the shifting quality, ease of adjustments on aerobar changes and the shifting on bull horns for climbing. Secondly you can find a great set of wheels for $500-1000. If I learned anything while buying so many bikes (and making mistakes while buying too), it is to spend an additional $500-1000 to get what you want up front so you minimize the excuses later when you get into the sport. Trust me...it will happen.

There are a lot of great sellers on this forum. When you get your fit completed, post your spec's and I bet your get a bunch of deals right off the bat.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would ideally like that to be the case since I like cervelo the best. The fitting and my body type will determine if that will be the case. The lbs I'm going to for the fit carries cervelo, cannonade, and felt so we will see how things end up.

I would like to pick up a current frame p2, but at a lbs I did find an old stock classic p2 ultegra 2013 for $2k. I like it a lot, but I feel the price is definitely to high. If i could get it down would it be worth it? Vs. a current p2 for a little more or a new cannonade slice 105? (this is just hypothetical before i get fitted into the equation)

On the used side of cervelo I have browsed ebay and found some used classic and current p2s, classic and current p3s all $2,300 or lower. But all are not local which makes me a little wary purchasing any of those when I can't check them out.

I did find a local, good condition, 2010 used p2 with zipps for $2k. Kind of keeping that in mind, but going on a 7 year old bike...not sure what to think compared to the 2013 old stock for the same price, vs new p2 ($400 more) vs new slice ($50 less).
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [rustynuts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been considering moving up to $2500, but I don't want to just keep bumping the number up or I know ill end up with a p3 haha. Ive been keeping my eyes open for 11sDi2, but i haven't seen any deals yet. I see a lot more non-Di2 bikes.

You're the first person to give me personal experience with a Di2 so I'm quite intrigued. Sounds like a lot of positives and where the future is headed. Ill make a mental note of the wheels, right now the bike itself is my first expense, ill worry about upgrading the wheels after I get the bike and ride/race it for awhile.

"I learned anything while buying so many bikes (and making mistakes while buying too), it is to spend an additional $500-1000 to get what you want up front so you minimize the excuses later when you get into the sport. Trust me...it will happen."

This is the constant battle I have been fighting with myself, your words were exactly what I'm thinking. I don't want to kick myself regretting for not spending the extra up front to get exactly what I want. Opposite reasons the $2k budget was chosen though.

That is the encouragement I needed to hear, Ill be posting them for sure.

Thanks for your advice and thoughts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get a Felt B14 with new Ultegra before getting a prior gen P2. I would bet that those two are at least equals in the wind tunnel, and likely the new Felt is faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beginner question on tri bike shopping....

Does the distance of triathlon competing in matter at all to the tri bike you would buy? By that I mean are the bikes being mentioned all suitable for all distances, or are there some tri bikes that are meant for Ironman compared to Olympic distances, etc?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: insight on tri bike shopping [primxo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are in a good position, the distance doesn't matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went into the lbs today to "look around" when I'm scheduled for next friday for my fitting. (i had to move it due to finding out my previous planned fitter had no tri experience)
I had a really good conversation with one of the mechanics over two hours and discussed the bikes I'm looking at. The lbs sells cervelo, cannonade, and felt. Just taking some preliminary measurements (fitter is out of town until next friday) the mechanic says I'm inbetween the cervelo and the cannondale for my body type and ratio. Felt isn't even on the table. Likewise he said the old p2 would not fit me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2016 p2 that I bought new for $2600 ish. I love it and my shop sells bmc, felt and cervelo. Everytime I look at the bmc time machine I think I should have bought the black one. I love the p2, I just feel like it's a little plain to look at. I enjoy it, but the bmc in all black on race wheels is so sexy!

I would say if they all fit, go with which one is in the budget and you think looks the best. The p2 has so many options for things you can do to it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next