Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

injury help
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to treat lateral stress syndrome in my lower legs. At the moment my physio is mainly addressing issues with my running biomechanics. That being, I'm a heavy forefoot striker and supinator with very tight calves and poor ankle flexibility.
Most of my pain has come from running, in that I get to about 1hr and I'm forced to walk.
However, just recently Im starting to think that my problems are occuring because of my bike setup in terms of my cleats.
I'm currently using shimano pedals and I just read recently read information on lower leg injuries including Achilles Tendonitis coming from pedals that have a rocker (ie not a float).

Can anybody help me with this, because when I ride I am experiencing pain down the outside of my lower legs. I think I may be supinating when I pedal and if my pedals laterally rotate (ie like a canoe wobbling from side to side), would this contribute to my problem??

Would it be worth trying to put wedges into the outside of my pedals to try and get me to pronate so that I don't laterally overload the outside of my lower legs?? Or would I be better off buying new pedals and cleats?? (if so which ones)

Is there anyone out there that does or has experienced any pain in there lower legs running along the region of their fibula while they pedal?

Any advice would be much appreciated
paul
Quote Reply
Re: injury help [fluro2au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to diagnose with what is posted and throught my screen, but MANY cyclists would benefit from the Lemond wedges. Sounds like you are overworking your peroneals and the wedges may help. At about $25, certainly cheaper than new pedals/cleats.

Re: injury help [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah my peroneals do cop a canning. I also had a very sore peroneal merve which look about 4mths to settle down. The physio thinks Im laterally loading myself way too much when I run, but I think I may be doinf it when I ride to, but don't know how to address this issue on the bike.
even sitting here at the computer I have a constant bruning feeling running down the outside of my legs. I rode 2 hrs this morning and I'm paying for it now.

Paul
Quote Reply