Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

i know we've been over this a million times...
Quote | Reply
but somebody tell me again.

runny/stuffed up nose, headache, ever so slight cough and tired. 2 days off now (and going nuts). tomorrow i have yoga in the early am and master's swimming at night.

already missed my "long" run (just 5 or 6 miles, but was still excited, as my knee is getting much better) and feel like a big puffed up lump.

plus, i've drank enough tea to make all of England jealous.

think I'd be ok? just a little swim? a little yoga? nothing too hard? maybe do the 5 mile run Tuesday?

somebody talk me down...

kittycat
Last edited by: kittycat: Aug 28, 05 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the rule of thumb that if it's from the neck up, you can do stuff? Once it goes below the neck, and especially penetrates the lungs -- that's when you back off? I think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
plus, i've drank enough wine to make all of France jealous.
That might be your problem ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Below the neck and/or fever = NO GO!

Above the neck = Take some Sudafed, and go to work!

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, tea, not wine! lol.

you know, the herbal-make-you-better-supposedly-tea!

tea and coffee are the new wines for me. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about the slight random cough?

if i train will it just keep me sick longer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're likely asking the wrong person. I always trained with that stuff... Water & OJ during the day like it's your job. Sudafed before the workout. But it is not necessarily the "smart" thing to do. But it made it easier on me mentally... Swimming, IMO, tends to be easier than the others when you are feeling rotten. Airborne is good stuff, as is Emergen-C.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't make me give you the advice you gave me.....;-)

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've got any body aches, do NOT go to yoga. The ujjayi breathing may actually help, though, if it's "all in your head."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The absolute fastest recovery is via full rest. Intense exercise, especially prolonged aerobic exercise, compromises immunity, and it's your immune system that's doing the heavy lifting right now. Mild exercise is likely fine. If you get worse, or develop fever/sweats/chills, you should consider seeing a doc and getting a script for antibiotics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KC, if no fever you are probably OK but I would maybe kick it for another day just to make sure.

Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, since i feel awful, i'll take off today and go from there. the cough is deeper now, but still random. rats.

thanks everybody. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally swim like crap when I have a stuffy nose. (exhale?)

Might as well stuff wet rags in my lungs and have a go at it.

Go on a walk or something.

If it were me (keep in mind I'm a dumb macho man), I'd go on the long run and "sweat the cold out" (old wives' tale?). I'd either [1] get over it or [2] make it worse ... but after a few days I'm ready for one or the other.

Besides, is there anything better than running with snot and horsespit (slobber) flyin' all over the place?

------------------------

Are you taking VitC (water soluble) every 3 hours? Usually when I start getting "run down" (weightlifter's cold), I overload the VitC and it works like a miracle.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Aug 29, 05 4:21
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah it's hard to just sit around. yet i feel so bad it's about all i can do. i'm hoping that a good shot of espresso will get me warmed up here, and will try to walk outside a bit, and see what that does.

i'll toughen up. it's only a head cold...could be infinitely worse!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would've trained straight through it. Biking and running usually make my headcold symptoms feel better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kittycat,
That sounds a lot like allergies. It feels just like a fever. Ragweed is king this time of year. I bet you feel better tomorrow based on:

http://www.pollen.com/4day_jump.asp?postalcode=45215&affiliateid=3613&ft=1
(note that in Cincy right now the pollen count is through the roof.)

Pray for rain, as it clears the air. Windy and dry=bad.
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, this might sound gross, but i don't suspect infection, because the mucus isn't green. however i've never been prone to allergies--i can waller in the hayfields and not even sneeze. perhaps though you're right.

i'm going to walk to the drug store and try out sudafed. i've not really taken it before so we'll see what that does. hopefully it helps. i'd sure like to make the swim practice tonight, or run 3 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
careful on the sudafed, they're starting to restrict sales of over the counter cold meds, they're afraid you running a meth lab in your house.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a meth lab? you make meth out of the stuff? good god, maybe i shouldn't take it afterall! lol!
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, if you have any weird heart palpitation things beware because the stuff will make your heart beat faster. My wife can't take it as it makes her heart weird out.

Quote | Reply
yeah, seriously, people crush up the tabs and seperate the active ingredients out to cook up some good stuff.

NJ juast passed a law limiting the number of packages that a person can buy, several other states have also done this, I believe

and we all thought you and hubby were running a placement service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: i know we've been over this a million times... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
screw it, i'll go to the steam room instead. i don't like otc's. it's all too weird for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like allergies. I live near the Ohio River too, and last Tuesday until Sunday the Ragweed really was kicking my butt. Low energy didn't feel like doing anything. With the rain Ragweed is down to the low count for today and tomorrow because of the rain I guess. In a few weeks the ragweed count should go back down.(middle of September) Just do what you can, and stay inside with your workout if at all possible.

Kevin

Owensboro, Kentucky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allergies??

GO4 SMOOOOOOTH AND FAST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just because you aren't allergic to some things doesn't mean you aren't allergic to ragweed. The only way to know for sure is to get tested (They prick your arm with all kinds of allergens to see what you react to.)

I just got some generic loratadine (24 hrs/tablet) and I take it only as a last resort as it helps with sleeping that night. Usually, it is when my eyes are so itchy I want to scratch them out. I'm all for toughing it out without medication, but when you can't sleep because of the coughing I'm willing to take some help.

I find the sudafed makes me a bit oogie.

I've been excersing on the loratadine and haven't noticed a difference other than a little more photosensitivity (the light outside seems a lot brighter) but am ok with sunglasses on.
And, I can breathe...
Quote Reply