Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I thought you only used the 2x20 ;-)
I do.
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get it.
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have big plans for next April . . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are the 4 minutes done all out?

They are done at the highest power that allows the athlete to complete all six efforts.

In Reply To:
What would be the best recovery interval?

Probably the shortest one that still allows the athlete to complete all six efforts at the highest possible power.

BTW, if you've got a history with 4 min intervals, you might find these studies interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...;itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...;itool=pubmed_docsum
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So in 24 weeks I could increase by 30%?
Of course!
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 4 x 6min intervals would be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny coincidence that I must have like 3-4 athletes today with 8x4min (1min).
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [banksy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Apaprently you didn't read the paper by Steve Seiler that I just cited?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I'm starting my training tonight. Please tell the pro tour teams that I'll be considering offers next spring.
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I'm trying to catch the red herring.

If I average 305 W at a HR of 165 that puts me at the same ratio 1.85. That ratio doesn't make me "elite". (Maybe it does!!!)

If I weighed 140 pounds & could push 350 W intervals that would make me fast, or maybe "elite".

So what's the point of tracking one's W/BPM? Improvements to muscular endurance?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So what's the point of tracking one's W/BPM? Improvements to muscular endurance?
You're starting to get closer ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Their intervals are the same length, but with such a short rest period between them they're a completely different animal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have now :-)

So what's the deal with these 2x20min intervals?
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Apaprently you didn't read the paper by Steve Seiler that I just cited?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am beginning to wish Paulo was still MIA, and you were with him. You're not doing anyone any favors with the nonsense.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strenght endurance? :-)
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
You're starting to get closer ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Their intervals are the same length, but with such a short rest period between them they're a completely different animal.
I had noticed, but thanks for the heads-up ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If I average 305 W at a HR of 165 that puts me at the same ratio 1.85. That ratio doesn't make me "elite".

The fact that this is an elite athlete is relevant only in the sense that some would argue that such further improvements are not possible (or at least not without resorting to either EPO or, better still, PowerCranks).

In Reply To:
what's the point of tracking one's W/BPM?

Assuming constant thermodynamic efficiency, VO2 is proportional to power, so power:heart rate is proportional to VO2:heart rate. In turn, VO2:heart rate is proportional to the product of stroke volume and a-vO2 difference (i.e., O2 pulse). Thus, an improvement in power:heart rate is indicative of an increase in stroke volume and/or a-vO2 difference (and/or an increase in thermodynamic efficiency). That's why I've been recording my power:heart rate during ergometer workouts for >20 y.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 22, 07 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, if you've got a history with 4 min intervals, you might find these studies interesting:

Dr A,

Interesting, Ironic at the same time.

Back in the 70's my running coach's favourite interval length when doing longer intervals on the track was either 1000m or 1200m which would and we would typically do 5 - 8 of these depending on what we were doing, with about a half a lap jog recovery. This lines up almost exactly with the times in the studies that you just linked.

For years I have been a big fan of the 4 minute intervals on the bike. It seems to be a good length of time that you can go almost all out, settle into a rythmn and then work it right to the end. When I am "On", 2 minutes of recovery is all I typically need, so again that seems to be matching up with what the papers say.

Great stuff. Thanks for the info

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am beginning to wish Paulo was still MIA, and you were with him. You're not doing anyone any favors with the nonsense.
Having troubles keeping up? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Assuming constant thermodynamic efficiency, VO2 is proportional to power, so power:heart rate is proportional to VO2:heart rate. In turn, VO2:heart rate is proportional to the product of stroke volume and a-vO2 difference (i.e., O2 pulse). Thus, an improvement in power:heart rate is indicative of an increase in stroke volume and/or a-vO2 difference (and/or an increase in thermodynamic efficiency).
So what training effects does that metric leave out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact that this is an elite athlete is relevant only in the sense that some would argue that such further improvements are not possible (or at least not without resorting to either EPO or, better still, PowerCranks).

The implication being that there is a theoretical w/bpm ceiling?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say the implication is that this elite athlete is already near "their" w/bpm ceiling.

In Reply To:

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Assuming constant thermodynamic efficiency, VO2 is proportional to power, so power:heart rate is proportional to VO2:heart rate. In turn, VO2:heart rate is proportional to the product of stroke volume and a-vO2 difference (i.e., O2 pulse). Thus, an improvement in power:heart rate is indicative of an increase in stroke volume and/or a-vO2 difference (and/or an increase in thermodynamic efficiency).
So what training effects does that metric leave out?
The most important one for an endurance athlete: an improvement in metabolic fitness, i.e, in LT, will not result in an increase in the power:heart rate ratio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course there is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But metabolic fitness comprises those effects too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next