Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga
Quote | Reply
My goal for the fall/winter is to incorporate more stretching and zen into my workout routines, and I believe yoga is the way to go. There are two studios near my house: one that offers hot (bikram) yoga, and one that offers Flow Yoga. I took a 90-minute hot yoga class for the first time last night, and Holy Hades, was that hot (Makes IMLOU seem downright cold..). I don't recall ever being so winded, and while I slept pretty well afterwards, I was definitely feeling flat this AM. It's too soon to judge whether this right for me, and I still need to try the regular yoga, but I was wondering if folks here have tried both yoga versions and can share feedback? Is one type 'better' with respect to increasing flexibility -- without being a whole nother workout on top of regular s/b/r training? For the hot yoga, I sweated like crazy, do people consume electrolytes during the class? thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [The Kraut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on what "other" types of yoga you do. All types of yoga emphasize stretching/lengthening, but hot just does it in a hot room. Supposed benefits, but science not quite sure. Take lots of different classes and judge for yourself which you prefer. I like the hot, but that's me. And I only drink water during the class.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer hot. Try to find a yin class- In yin yoga you hold the poses for several minutes without stressing the muscles too much. It's focus is to increase flexibility and lubricate the joints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer bikram as well, found that I was getting more from it from a flexibility and core standpoint than regular, also helped me acclimatize better to training/racing on hot humid summer days. I only drink water during class, helps to go into the room plenty hydrated and rehydrate with electrolytes afterwards.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Last edited by: Brian in MA: Oct 29, 14 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post needs photos so we can provide an appropriate response.

Its about the entire journey, not just the moment you cross the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All stretching is bad for you.

Now theres proof

http://m.bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2013/10/07/bjsports-2013-092538.abstract

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot yoga: good workout, watch out for "over stretching" being hot and sweating gives the illusion of being more flexible don't get injured.

I usually drink a Gatorade or something but not too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll respond since I actually do vinyasa yoga

Or flow yoga

I find my studio is far more spiritual and empowering than many other studios. So find a good studio.

As far as hot yoga - it's challenging but boring and easy

Same moves over and over again. Overweight people and just uncomfortably hot!

Hope that helps
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
I'll respond since I actually do vinyasa yoga

So find a good studio.

I'll echo this, unless you are emotionally invested in a particular style of yoga (yes there are those people) the key is to find a good instructor. I have been doing Iyengar for 2+ years now and it has made a noticeable difference in my overall physical capabilities. The only reason I do that kind of yoga is because I have a kickass instructor and that is what she teaches.

A lot of the yoga classes at box gyms, etc. are taught by people with little to no training. Just banging through a bunch of poses/moves in an hour won't do anything for you and may get you injured. Like anything else it pays to search out the true pro's to learn from.

SF
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [SethB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll continue to snoop around and compare styles/instructors. Second hot yoga class tonight...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been going to hot classes for 6 years, and I usually bring Gatoraid or water with Nuun tabs. I really believe it prevents injuries. As mentioned above, the instructor is really important- especially if you are new to class. A good instructor will ask if you are new or injured before class and offer adjustments or variations depending on your situation. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I clicked on this bc I scanned the topic and my brain read "hot yoga pants". Very disappointed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kraut wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll continue to snoop around and compare styles/instructors. Second hot yoga class tonight...

Definitely make sure you find the right studio. Better to find this:

Or this:

Than this:

Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [TashaSkippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $0.10. I did yoga for the 1st time yesterday and I'm sold. Especially since some of my injuries have been related to flexibility as much as overuse.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i say screw hot yoga

overweight instructor yelled at me for taking a sip of water when it wasn't time!

lol - think of hot yoga as yoga with it's soul ripped out.

it's deceiving that you're actually gaining strength or seeing benefit from all that sweating.
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel the same way. Hot yoga is a marketing scam. Find a decent yogi and embrace the physical/mental/emotional aspects.

While I jokingly posted some yoga pics above, I have been doing yoga once a week for almost 3 years now. It is my Monday evening recovery/relaxing workout. And yes, it is more of the first two pics than the third. That is a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been practicing yoga for about 10 years, and just a couple years ago gave hot yoga a try.

Some of the things the instructor said just left me stifling guffaws. So much BS being spewed...

Quite frankly, I don't see the point of hot yoga. It doesn't do anything for you. Sweating out toxins? "Just staying in the room is a workout"? I'm sure you did feel drained -- of water!!

Get some instruction in hatha if you want. Yoga is an internal practice. Do some of the focusing exercises, get some good stretching and static strength work, and ease into it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience, hot yoga is a far better route to go. And obviously I am basing my comment on the scenery in the class... Because, that is what it's all about, right?
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [user123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you need water during a 45-60 minute class?

Drink before, drink after. Yes you sweat, but it's not like your on a treadmill or trainer without a fan or something.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Why do you need water during a 45-60 minute class?

Drink before, drink after. Yes you sweat, but it's not like your on a treadmill or trainer without a fan or something.

I did four months of Bikram early this year before I decided that it was bad for my knees. The classes were 90 minutes. As an experiment, I weighed myself before and after one class. I was 4 pounds lighter after, but I had also consumed 4 pounds of water during the class for a total water loss in 90 minutes of 8 pounds, or just about a gallon.
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do Ironman and I do Bikram. Some thoughts:
  • In my view, yoga is an excellent way to try to offset the imbalances created from cycling (tightness in hamstrings, lower back, etc.). However, does this make you a better triathlete? Not sure.
  • A 90 minute Bikram class should not be taken lightly. It is a very grueling workout if you do it properly, which has to be very carefully scheduled. Best case, you are stimulating your tissues and you'll need recovery. Worst case, you'll injure yourself. Either way, it isn't all that conducive to Ironman training for these reasons, and probably something better to do when you aren't heavily focused on triathlon training.
  • I'm not sure if one can prove if the heat is beneficial, i.e. would you have the same benefits if you did the class at a normal temperature. It will certainly help you warm up faster and get deeper more quickly, which has to be a benefit. It otherwise because a much higher heart rate exercise, which again has to be a benefit. So I think you are burning a lot more calories than you would on the treadmill or biking, with less impact (but probably not less injury risk). Does any of this help with triathlon training? Probably not.
  • I think there is a case to be made that Bikram could help your heat acclimation. But so could doing things like running or biking in the heat, so just do that.
  • The best argument I can think of as to why Bikram is beneficial is the mental aspect. Bikram successfully expands your ability to suffer and push yourself under severe physical stress, all helpful triathlon skills.

Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [TashaSkippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yoga for me is all about finding instructors who click with me. The title on the class is a rough guide. I've never done bikram but I'm not interested in it either. What I have heard about it is that it's the same poses every time and that there seems to be way less modification and personalization than I am used to.

Try a lot of classes, tell the instructors that you're a triathlete and what your goals are, and see which class you really want to go back to over and over again.

Also, ask questions, even in the middle of a pose. Instructors love to hear that you're thinking and you want to ensure that you're getting what the pose has to offer.
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [srguapo90210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srguapo90210 wrote:
I do Ironman and I do Bikram. Some thoughts:
  • In my view, yoga is an excellent way to try to offset the imbalances created from cycling (tightness in hamstrings, lower back, etc.). However, does this make you a better triathlete? Not sure.
  • A 90 minute Bikram class should not be taken lightly. It is a very grueling workout if you do it properly, which has to be very carefully scheduled. Best case, you are stimulating your tissues and you'll need recovery. Worst case, you'll injure yourself. Either way, it isn't all that conducive to Ironman training for these reasons, and probably something better to do when you aren't heavily focused on triathlon training.
  • I'm not sure if one can prove if the heat is beneficial, i.e. would you have the same benefits if you did the class at a normal temperature. It will certainly help you warm up faster and get deeper more quickly, which has to be a benefit. It otherwise because a much higher heart rate exercise, which again has to be a benefit. So I think you are burning a lot more calories than you would on the treadmill or biking, with less impact (but probably not less injury risk). Does any of this help with triathlon training? Probably not.
  • I think there is a case to be made that Bikram could help your heat acclimation. But so could doing things like running or biking in the heat, so just do that.
  • The best argument I can think of as to why Bikram is beneficial is the mental aspect. Bikram successfully expands your ability to suffer and push yourself under severe physical stress, all helpful triathlon skills.

In my four months doing Bikram about 3x week, I got a lot more flexible in the hot room, but didn't notice much more flexibility in day-to-day life. Mentally, I do think it helps toughness. I never left the room due to heat, only once for an emergency bathroom break.

I'm not sure that many calories are being burned. Heart rate is high, of course, but due to the heat.

My biggest complaint is the bogus claims of all the health benefits. The constant mantra of "lock your knees" is contrary to everything anyone else ever says about knee health. And the dialogue about the health aspects of other poses seems laughable to me. That said, I'll probably do it again off and on this winter.
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the lock the knee phrase is a little cringe-worthy. To me the issue is they don't adequately explain it in the dialogue, and if you take the dialogue at face value, you can hurt yourself. But if you lock your knee while doing the posture correctly, including appropriately engaging the thigh muscles, the bandhas, and distributing your weight correctly, you should be fine.

But re: something else you said. If heart rate is high from the heat, aren't you burning a lot of calories to accomplish this? I'm not sure either way.

Regardless of the heat, I think you are burning a lot of calories due to the strength required to do the poses, i.e. a lot of it is isometric holds that are quite difficult. One of the main things I've learned the more I've studied Bikram is that if I think a pose is easy, it is because I'm probably doing it wrong. For example, in Rabbit if you distribute too much weight on your head, it is really easy, but if you shift the weight to your legs like you are supposed to, it is really tough.
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [srguapo90210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend is training to become a yoga instructor as a side activity and I find it's been a big help. I'm curious though, she's never saying to lock the knees - quite the opposite in fact. Where are you guys hearing that? I've found it has done wonders for me - if something is bothering me we can do poses that focus on that area to loosen it up and/or correct imbalances, and it is a great core strength exercise. Doing those poses absolutely will help on the bike with both holding position and generating more power from it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next