Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help with new stroke glitch
Quote | Reply
i used to swim somewhat seriously, took a few years off. i started again a few months ago and am just starting to be able to hit my old paces. but i've got this new glitch .. my left hand is catching too much air and not losing it before the catch. i never used to have this problem and no matter how i try to modify my entry or catch it seems to keep happening. its really strange! any ideas on how to correct this?
Quote Reply
Re: help with new stroke glitch [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happens to me after a break.
Scull.
Quote Reply
Re: help with new stroke glitch [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dammit i was hoping no one would use the s-word.
Quote Reply
Re: help with new stroke glitch [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just trying to be clear on what's going on.... You think you have a glitch in your stroke and you think this is something that wasn't there before, but you are able to hit your historical paces?

Maybe it was there before? Maybe it's not a glitch?

Based on the little you wrote, I am by no means certain, but you might need to develop more awareness of this alleged issue before trying to actively correct anything. Maybe just sit with it a bit?

OTOH, say you're right. It is a new flaw in your stroke. Why is your left hand doing something new and why is it different from your right hand? In my experience, the hardest thing for returning swimmers to recover from their old form are the finer points of timing. Timing of the hands, feet, torso and head returns last. You've tried physical manipulation of the hand and arm, so if it is an issue at all, it is probably related to timing.

My best advice is to remain aware of it but don't try to fix it just yet. A few months is not a real long time for things to fall back into place.
Quote Reply
Re: help with new stroke glitch [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the thoughtful reply!

i can roughly swim at the same paces, due to lack of volume i'm not quite there, but close. but yeah, i am noticing gobs of air coming off my left hand, something i never saw before, and something i don't see with my right hand.

it occurs to me that i have a shoulder injury at the moment so maybe i am subtly compensating in a way i don't perceive.
Quote Reply