Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help me to choose a carbon wheel
Quote | Reply
wanna to upgrade my bike and find carbon wheels on http://www.carbonbikeoem.com is cheap,any one has bought something there?and how to choose a carbon wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: help me to choose a carbon wheel [Rousan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
search "Chinese carbon wheels" and you'll get plenty of information on previous threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these look like cheap chinese knockoffs.

I think its best to buy from slowtwitch members the pricing here can be just as good and you are getting quality companies like zipp/bontrager/boyd/campy/planet x/madfiber/3t/fsa/dura ace/profile design/HED.

Many people have used chinese wheels without trouble, and then i have heard horror stories. Is your life and welfare worth saving a few hundred dollars if it happens to crack or break during a ride.

Rain*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at these and the sharp inner edge and beefy flat spokes makes me think that they won't be particularly fast or stable in a cross wind. Seeing as they pretty much look like crappy wheels, I would heck out Lenord Zinn's article at Velo about the tire failures at the Tour of Oman. He doesn't place blame on carbon clinchers, but the massive failures for some of the teams could have been related to problems related to heat and carbon brake tracks. Mavic and Zipp are quick to point out that their teams had no problems, so if done correctly, these wheel/tire combos are pretty safe. However, my take home was that even reputable companies might be rebranding some pretty crappy wheels.

I would steer clear of off brand carbon clinchers because there are probably lots of crappy wheels still on the market. If you are looking for budget wheels, at least use a reputable importer, like Boyd, that can ensure that you aren't getting a death trap wheel. This isn't an area where I would be comfortable cutting corners to save 100$.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Feb 27, 15 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: help me to choose a carbon wheel [Rainstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rainstar wrote:
Many people have used chinese wheels without trouble, and then i have heard horror stories. Is your life and welfare worth saving a few hundred dollars if it happens to crack or break during a ride.

Since you have acknowledged they are just stories why bother with the rest of the nonsense you decided too post?

Wheels of all price points are risk to fail and cause injury. Paying more in no way guarantees your safety.
Quote Reply
Re: help me to choose a carbon wheel [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I would steer clear of off brand carbon clinchers because there are probably lots of crappy wheels still on the market. If you are looking for budget wheels, at least use a reputable importer, like Boyd, that can ensure that you aren't getting a death trap wheel. This isn't an area where I would be comfortable cutting corners to save 100$.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/...perience-260547.html

Failed on first ride (also just the first google hit and only one I clicked so probably more failures)

Amazing customer service, and in this case that is part of what you got for your money.

But your extra money didn't buy you a bit of safety, the constant posts claiming it does are more dangerous than any wheel because it makes people think they can be complacent because they opened their wallet.

for the record that was nothing against boyd nor do I have anything, just using your specific example.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the price, I would bet a Flo 30 is both faster and cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: help me to choose a carbon wheel [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/...perience-260547.html

Failed on first ride (also just the first google hit and only one I clicked so probably more failures)

Amazing customer service, and in this case that is part of what you got for your money.

But your extra money didn't buy you a bit of safety, the constant posts claiming it does are more dangerous than any wheel because it makes people think they can be complacent because they opened their wallet.

for the record that was nothing against boyd nor do I have anything, just using your specific example.

I would like to add that thread is from 2011. At that point we were using open mold rims and it was before the higher temperature resins were available. The wheels now have our own molds, higher temperature resins that have been proven by lots of riders in hilly areas. I ride everyday in the mountains of South Carolina with them. Resins really started advancing in 2012 in regards to heat tolerances.

Any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks!