Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help me dress
Quote | Reply
I'm running my first marathon on Saturday. Forecast temps are just about ideal -- ranging from 38 degrees at the start up to 53 when I'll be finishing.

I'd normally wear tights below the low 40s, but would never consider it at 53 degrees. None of my long runs so far have warmed up so much that I have wished for a change of costume. So I'm unprepared for this situation.

Will I be more uncomfortable / slower if I start out cold, or if I finish too warm?
Quote Reply
Re: help me dress [sjstuart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leg or knee warmers with tri shorts? Easily doffed and packable. Same up top -- arm warmers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: help me dress [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The leg & knee warmers won't stay up for a long run, & the leg warmers are uncomfortable when running. I would just wear a good pair of lightweight running tights over some lycra type shorts. You shouldn't overheat with the tights at those temps. I would also wear a good (tech fabric) long sleeve shirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a training run at 38 degrees, I MIGHT consider tights, but not for a race. I'd wear shorts, but stay covered up with sweat pants or something until the start. At some of the bigger races, they collect discarded clothing after the start and donate it. You could keep warm until just seconds before the gun. Otherwise, if you don't have something to toss, just wear something warm that you can check with baggage (but that might leave you shivering for a while). As for up top, I'd go with a long sleeve tech top... something like capilene (Patagonia... very comfy). Obviously, it should be something you've trained with on a long run so you'll know best what works for you...

Most importantly... HAVE FUN!!! Best of luck!!! Go out easy, and enjoy the experience!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Capris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SPEEEDO

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have read other slowtwitch threads... You must wear the biggest and baggiest clothes possible. Think NBA baggy -- Big parachute pants and big baggy shirt.

seriously - wear what you are used too -- if you train in tights - wear tights - if shorts - wear shorts. Do bundle up before the race - go for a little warm-up run. Wear a hat and gloves.

If you have an older tech fabric shirt you would not mind losing - wear layers and as the race progresses - lose the shirt. You could have family or friends meet you half way and toss them the shirt too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much, much better to start feeling a bit chilled than to feel comfortable and overheat along the way. You'll be fine with shorts so long as you keep relatively warm before the race. Heck, if the crowd is big enough just keep yourself in the middle and the combined body heat will keep you plenty warm...

Good luck!
Quote Reply