Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
help! need to find good climbing wheels...
Quote | Reply
the obvious:
road bike - campy compatible, light weight, lower profile, clincher, 700c, RELIABLE, doesn't blow the bank account.

for:
big mountain climbing - steep as it gets

what i've looked at so far:
zipp 303 clincher: seems nice but still heavy w/ total weight @ 1587grams, not the best product reliability and pricey
mavic ksyrium ES: lighter than zipp 303 w/ total weight @ 1485grams, climbing specific
easton ascent II: 1419grams, least expensive - elliptical profile spokes

i'm open to all of your experiences with light climbing wheels..

thx
Quote Reply
Re: help! need to find good climbing wheels... [oc3ram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
climbing on clinchers - you killing all our enthusiasm to write about that :-)
go tubular!!
OK I'll say something, but I will not enjoy it (((-:
Look for full carbon clinchers: Reynolds, Corima.. (but that may cost:(
New Campy SHAMAL is best of the clincher alu - 1395 g. I didn't try it but it's a Campagnolo! I'm sure quality and everything else is great

Hare Krishna
Last edited by: triatma: May 15, 07 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dont waste your time with Clinchers... get some 202's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have american classic sprint 350's and love em. i dont know if you can get the campy body, but you could always get one of those funky cassettes that fit campy spacing on a shimano hub.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help my agency save babies. visit our March of Dimes website:
http://www.walkamerica.org/torresagency
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i prefer the Easton over the Kysrium's. have both, but noticed a big difference with the Easton's. they get my vote!!! they're light and that's what it's all about. plus they're affordable and the winds won't screw you. (there's always wind, right!)

also, i bought them to race, but put them on and never took them off! very high quality wheels. ;)
Last edited by: kittycat: May 15, 07 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: help! need to find good climbing wheels... [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haven't denied the option on switching to tubulars after all these are BIG CLIMBS... just want to see whats up in with the clinchers..

thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with aluminum if you want to go clincher and want light.

I would look into:

Real Design has some lightweights that can be had cheap.

Custom wheels can generally be had for under $500 and under 1400 grams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did a couple of hill climbs on my 202's last year and will be doing more this summer (Mt Washington among them)

Seriously... clincher vs tubular debates can rage all day long when it comes to discs, 404's etc... but if you're looking for light and stiff climbing wheels - tubular is the way to go. For my $$$ the 202's are the best of the bunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with bpq - if going with dedicated climbing only wheels, can get any better than some 202s with a high quality tubie like a Veloflex Record. Serious polkadot bling :)

Quote | Reply
202 tubbies with some nice Corsa EVO CX's or maybe Chrono EVO CS' if you really want to go lightweight.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will light wheels do? or do they absolutely need to be climbing wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: help! need to find good climbing wheels... [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm starting to see the difference with added research... the tubulars are w/o a doubt lighter and just require a little more learning to get used to setting up. how bout the quality of the zipp 202's? i've heard abnormally higher rates of returns with zipp wheels in general. thx
Quote Reply
Re: help! need to find good climbing wheels... [MLSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
will light wheels do? or do they absolutely need to be climbing wheels?
well, aren't they both in the same realm? please explain. i'm not understanding.. at this point is seems like there is clear difference between getting tubulars over clincher for climbing because of weight..
Quote Reply
Re: help! need to find good climbing wheels... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey khai, how about puncture protection in the EVO cx's or cs's? what is the better all round?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a shortish explanation:

-Tubs are usually lighter than clinchers;
-Tubs run higher pressures than clinchers;
-Higher pressure means stiffer / lower rolling resistance;
-A good tub (particularly ones w/ silk or Igyptian cotton casings) have more flexiple casing than a clincher, which also equates to lower rolling resistance;

All of this equates to a sensation that all tub users know v/ well: the feel of race wheels. If you're like me, & train on clinchers, when you take out yr race wheels, you can "feel" the tarmac much better. The tyres seem to pick up every wrinkle on the road, and you feel the total stiffness of the tub/race wheel combo. It makes my mouth water...

Other tub benefits:
-If you flat in a race, you can just rip off the tub & replace it (provided yr spares have been prepped w/ tub tape) & not worry about checking the clincher tyre for sharp objects or the like...

However:
If you're a miser like me and go into fixing flat tubs... Now that's a task that I hate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6' 165 - 170# and like most high end wheels I only use them for a handful of races and not as everyday wheels. I did half a dozen hill climbs on them last summer, a couple of crits, and one or two training rides, so all in all they have somewhere between 400-700 (hard!) miles on them.

I have had zero problems and absolutely no complaints. They have been bombproof on rough surfaces, stiff on the climbs, and I never had a shimmy or any problem braking on 50+ mph decents.

All that being said... they are EXTREMELY lightweight and are not an everyday wheel. If you are looking to use them as you would Ksyriums or Eastons (every day training/racing wheels)... I have no idea how they would fare, but I can imagine some weightweenies (especially the porky ones) having problems if they try that. But that is comparing apples to oranges.

I use Schwlabe tires on them.
Last edited by: bpq: May 10, 08 17:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, the zipps are double the price of Easton. just depends on how much you want to spend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Chrono CS is a 170g TT tyre. Not exactly the most robust thing out there, as it's designed to be super light and fast.
The Corsa CX is a race tyre as well, but is much tougher (and a little heavier) than the Chrono.

Unless you're gearing up for a hillclimb smackdown, I'd run the Corsa CX. It's a damn good tyre and the extra puncture resistance/longevity is worth the additional 100 grams to me.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think not only lightweight that matters. I don't trust Zipp hubs (so I heard some proTeams). There is Reynolds and Bontrager at same weight, Australian X-Treme even lighter.. never try any of it (exept Zipp, and Reynolds DV - they where good), should say

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why the Bontrager wheels don't get much love around here, but they are excellent. You can usually find them on e-bay for a steal. Have a look at these: http://www.bontrager.com/...orks/Wheels/5884.php
Quote Reply
Re: help! need to find good climbing wheels... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey Tufo v Evo CX update, Linda raced on the Evo, she tells me the difference is light and day. Vittorias every time. Campione has them for 89$ and 10$ per pair for mounting (bargain considering I dont have to do it!)

BTw she knocked off 1min 30seconds from last years time, not sure how much it had to do with the tires or placebo effect but over 23km that is a lot of time

Quote | Reply
Mavic Open Pro's on Campy Record hubs laced with DT Revolutions and alloy nipples are as light as anything you've mentioned so far. Go 28 hole front and 28 or 32 hole rear, dep on your weight,

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lightweight Ventoux: http://www.carbonsports.com/LW_Ventoux.lasso only 950g!

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what big mountains are you using them on? big to some is small to others and vice versa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily climbing wheels, but an example of the deal you can get on Bontrager on E-Bay. Not a single bid so far. The seller didn't help themselves by misspelling bontrager...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is NOT my auction.
Quote Reply

Prev Next