Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike 'length' road vs tri
Quote | Reply
As probably many who start doing triathlons coming from recreational road biking I started to read a lot about the differences in geometry road vs tri bike.

Now, I understand that a road bike with clip on bars does not equal a tri bike and that's not only due to the aerodynamic properties of the frame itself. Mostly the difference is in the position it allows for: more aero and "easier on running muscles". The latter is mainly influenced by the (effective) seat post angle.

So I was wandering about the effect of reach and stack and came across this quote from http://www.slowtwitch.com/...bikepicker_max.html:
Quote:
What about your aero position? The thing about road bikes is, they tend to be longer than tri bikes. If you slap a full-length aerobar on your road bike -- if it's set up as a road bike -- laying yourself out on those aerobars is going to result in an overlong position.

If I graph stack/reach for road/dual/tri bikes I just don't "see" that:

The road bike here seems to be shorter and taller. What am I missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike 'length' road vs tri [cf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the quote is referring to the fact that if you just slap a pair of clipons onto a road bike, you will likely be overextended. This happened a lot in the early days of triathlon. It was a combination of having the seat back in a roadie position, and having the pads sit right at the tops of the bars.
Stack and reach don't account for seat tube angle.

Here are a couple of pros back in '87. One of them went on to win Kona 6X, the other went on to win the TdF 0X.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike 'length' road vs tri [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks I think that makes sense.

So assuming one would mechanically compensate for the shallow seat post angle by using a forward seat post to achieve an effective angle closer to a tri geometry (80deg) that would result in the opposite problem of the bike being too short right?
Quote Reply