Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hit by car, carbon bike [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you trust "bike shop dude" with your life? That could be what you're doing if he missed something.
I had a crash and the handlebar hit the top tube to put a chip in it. Factory said the bike should not be ridden even though it looked like a small chip.
Frame had to be replaced and I don't worry about it.
If it's someone else's fault, why have that doubt if the bike is safe? You obviously ride a lot and will get lots of use out of a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit by car, carbon bike [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
Roberts has told you it has cracks. Bike shop dude "looked at it" and you want to believe him? Have Roberts write you a letter stating it has cracks and take that to ICBC. Or if ICBC is telling you that a bike shop has to certify then show the bike shop guy where the cracks are. Bike shop guy doesn't care, has nothing invested in the outcome one way or another.

Except by telling you the bike is safe, he is potentially opening the shop up to a future lawsuit. Both of my shops say, "when it doubt, throw it out!" If the insurance company wants to pay to have the bike scanned to verify its integrity, they can pay for that. Or they can buy you a new frame. Plain and simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit by car, carbon bike [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP is in Canada and we don't have the same liability-paranoia culture. Plus I doubt the bike shop dude has put that much thought into it (coming from an ex-bike shop dude). But agree totally with putting the onus on ICBC - but easier said than done with ICBC at times!

Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
The OP is in Canada and we don't have the same liability-paranoia culture. Plus I doubt the bike shop dude has put that much thought into it (coming from an ex-bike shop dude). But agree totally with putting the onus on ICBC - but easier said than done with ICBC at times!
True, but our business culture is similar and I'm a little surprised the bike shop couldn't find anything wrong as it's an ideal opportunity to sell a new bike. Suspect it wasn't the owner giving the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scary stuff. I was hit by car on my Trek Carbon years ago and they replaced with a new frame after I paid their actual cost. I thought that was fair..

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cervelo-van wrote:
So, the Bike Shop says my frame is not damaged. Just rear wheel, derailleur hanger, handlebars, (and my helmet)

Will I now be constantly worried about frame issues when descending at 60-70k/hour and possible hit a bump?

I asked the guy at the bike shop how he examined the frame, and he says "I looked at it" Now, he's young, but a very good mechanic, i generally trust him.

I now have a lawyer involved, can they influence this issue somewhat? I don't need to get a new frame if I can be 100% confident that this is not damaged.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Was it his/her fault? ICBC should replace value with pics and opinion/quote from a bike store. Otherwise go to Roberts and fix the frame, if he says it's cracked IMO I wouldn't ride it.

Like I said before the only two I know of in North America who I would trust to fix a frame are him and Calfee. Basically trainer (maybe) use, fix it or get a new one. He Lives in Van, you live in Van….

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are entitled to a replacement by the other party's insurance. A good bike shop will provide an estimate for new frame and components, noting the age of the equipment damaged.

U.S. Lawyers don't take anything from a settlement for personal items and they will argue for the insurance company to pay up for the bike before settlement of pain and injury claims.

The isurance company will take the figure the bike shop estimates for all new components minus depreciation. Hit them high and let the lawyer negotiate from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit by car, carbon bike [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, it's been almost two weeks. Several visits to physio and chiropractic, healing quite well. Did a 30 minute trainer ride last Saturday just to see if I can get on a bike. Did 2 hours the next day, might have been a bit ambitious. Did 90 minutes Wednesday, ok. Seems like a lot of the pain I had was the body being out of whack due to the hit, but chiro and physic seem to have helped.

Bike is in shop waiting for a quote that will suggest replacing. Been told by people in the know not to even contemplate repairing this thing,

Glad I have my winter/trainer bike so at least can ride a bit.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have them price out replacing everything one the farme...never know what could be damaged. Full replacement at msrp, no tri club discount.
Quote Reply

Prev Next