Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Boulder Swim Times [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you believe that guy cheated, the course was pretty much spot on. As someone pointed out he swam 51 in hawaii on a slowish year there, so what you would expect from a guy at altitude in fresh water. He probably can swim 47 to 48 under ideal conditions.

As to the rest, I believe i explained it. Virtually all people suck at altitude swimming, even experienced swimmers. Unless you absolutely know the score, your pace you should be swimming, and you are acclimated, you are going to lose time. Even the leader lost time, but he was apparently ready to do the high swim. And the absence of pros also takes away a lot of the sub hour swims. I would say that even well trained swimmers in the sub hour range would lose between 3 to 7 minutes just from the altitude, some a lot more. Go back and look at the amount of people the broke 1;06 or so, and see if that doesn't come closer to the number that usually break an hour(in a non wetsuit swim of course)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder Swim Times [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I race at 6000ft every year in Utah for the XTERRA US champs and live at sea level, and there my swims always are 3-5 min slower (1500m) so Boulder was both slower for me because of the altitude, and because I am not a pure swimmer and so lose speed when I am out of the wetsuit. The added dimension was the wetsuit crowd who made it pure chaos for 3/4 of the swim and caused me to adjust my swim/move/stop to see what the fuck just hit me/etc. Overall, I would say 3-8min for altitude, 3-6min for wetsuit and 1-2min for the chaos factor.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder Swim Times [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
jenschaf wrote:
Is there a results list that shows who wore suits?

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I think the way this was rolled out in Boulder and apparently has been done at other events (TX, LP), is not really fair. The swim should either be wetsuit legal or not. If someone is not prepared to swim 2.4 miles without a wetsuit, they are not ready for Ironman. And I am saying this as a weak swimmers who benefits greatly by wearing a suit, but would not have worn one on Sunday because I am usually trying to podium/KQ/. By allowing the racers to choose, WTC effectively created two different races out there on Sunday.

To take this to a different level I think the final results should be COMPLETELY SEPARATED.

Should have "Ironman Boulder Overall"
and "Ironman Boulder Wetsuit"

Results should be completely segregated, and start time should be 10-15 min apart. While I am in the same camp as you in terms of everyone wears wetsuit or no one wears wetsuit, I am pragmatic enough to understand that our sport depends on 800-1000 new athletes joining the sport at every MDot race. They don't have the same perspective (yet) as you and I chasing age group positions and KQ attempts. Some of them will move into that category in due course. I just can't see WTC making it too hard on them. As it is races that are 99% percent no wetsuit sell out more slowly (think Cozumel and Texas) and it seems we can also still register for Cabos which is likely going to be no wetsuit from what I understand

Agree. The first year that IMLP was not WS legal (2011; and everyone was caught off guard) they used had a results book and it separated the results. Athlinks still indicates this for that year. We need to get a movement to, in order or preference:

1) Go to a single temperature and eliminate the "optional" zone. Optional isn't fair and it isn't safer. I wish they had just left it at 78 and enforced that for all. #OneTemp

2) Extend the gap if optional stays. I'd say 30 minutes, though maybe in two loop swims this creates equal or more chaos.

3) Separate the results. At least get rid of the ego PR wearer that swims straight up the back of non-WS athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder Swim Times [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
monty wrote:
I believe Rafael Goncalves was an olympic swimmer for Brazil ///
And that is the time i would expect from such a swimmer. Swim was spot on as far as distance, people need to look elsewhere for excuses on slow swims..

At first I was inclined to agree with you on this but I looked at the final results and only 24 swimmers were sub-1:00:00 out of about 2205 starters (2769 signed up but 564 were DNS). Thus only about 1.1% of the field swam under an hour which seems way low to me. Goncalves at 49:23 was 4:53 ahead of the #2 swimmer at 55:16, which is also an almost unheard-of gap. Goncalves could well be a Potts-ish swimmer who can go 46-ish on an accurate course on a good day. In any case, having only 24 under an hour would seem to indicate the very rare triathlon species of the swimmus longus. In the roughly 110 races I've done, only maybe 3 had long-ish swims:)

Not saying the swim was long, but Goncalves was also the first OA amateur out of the water last year at Kona, swimming 51:11 - just 15 seconds slower than Potts.
I also found out that my friend's 20-minute-slower-than-normal swim was due to a panic attack and not being able to get enough O2 in the thin air.

Ah, thanks, did not realize Goncalves was 1st amateur OOW at Kona last year; 15 sec slower than AP, a very studly swim:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Unless you believe that guy cheated, the course was pretty much spot on. As someone pointed out he swam 51 in Hawaii on a slowish year there, so what you would expect from a guy at altitude in fresh water. He probably can swim 47 to 48 under ideal conditions.
As to the rest, I believe i explained it. Virtually all people suck at altitude swimming, even experienced swimmers. Unless you absolutely know the score, your pace you should be swimming, and you are acclimated, you are going to lose time. Even the leader lost time, but he was apparently ready to do the high swim. And the absence of pros also takes away a lot of the sub hour swims. I would say that even well trained swimmers in the sub hour range would lose between 3 to 7 minutes just from the altitude, some a lot more. Go back and look at the amount of people the broke 1;06 or so, and see if that doesn't come closer to the number that usually break an hour(in a non wetsuit swim of course)

OK, well, i will defer to your experience. I guess i've just become accustomed to seeing IMs with 200-300 guys under an hour for the swim, so 24 struck me as very odd. I would guess that at least some of these folks will take their swim training a little more seriously in the future, espec for a race at altitude:)

Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder Swim Times [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And also keep in mind that the fewer faster swimmers there are, it becomes a snowball effect on slow times. You need big groups to pull big numbers under an hour, so I bet that this race had a lot more "gaps" in the bigger group finishes, and a lot of straggler type finishes too. You would get the same type of spread in a heavy surf/chop condition swim. Hard for big groups to form, thus a lot not getting that all important pack time advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And also keep in mind that the fewer faster swimmers there are, it becomes a snowball effect on slow times. You need big groups to pull big numbers under an hour, so I bet that this race had a lot more "gaps" in the bigger group finishes, and a lot of straggler type finishes too. You would get the same type of spread in a heavy surf/chop condition swim. Hard for big groups to form, thus a lot not getting that all important pack time advantage.

Ya, I guess the combo of no pro's, wetsuit-optional, and altitude produced conditions with much slower swims compared to races with pro's, wetsuits, and low altitude, and then that fact produced the "snowball effect" with many fewer fast packs forming. Actually, if you define "fast" as under 55, then there were zero fast packs, just Rafael doing his solo swim:)

Quote Reply

Prev Next