Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
Not responding to Liaman, just the thread in general...
I assume another option for the OP is to go off of the test treatment (obviously depends on how much he needed it in the first place, health questions, etc). I guess the question is, how long does he have to be off of it before it is not held against him? I'm not talking about how long it takes to get out of his system, but how long ago are you allowed to have used a banned substance? We've all used 'banned' substances at some point, recreational drugs, prescription pain killers, etc.
I realized it is likely too late for his upcoming races......but for future?
All anyone has told him so far is that he should withdraw from the race, but no other guidance to him moving forward if he'd like to continue to race in the future.

I think this is a legitimate question.

If you have a USAT or other license, you have an obligation to abide by the WADA code while the license is in effect. But what about someone who only has a one-day license? Arguably, they aren't and haven't agreed to be bound by anything until the day of the event.

Same question for someone who takes out an annual license, that begins on January 1 and runs through December 31. Are they prohibited from participating or competing if they used substances prohibited out-of-competition just prior to the effective date of the license but ceased using them once the license was effective? (I understand Pros may be under different obligations.)
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:

The whole point of a TUE is that a person requires a certain medication in order to return to a relative baseline.
The medication's function isn't to add a positive, it is to remove a negative. If this makes the person faster, then it has only brought them to the level that they would have been at if they didn't require the meds in the first place.

I'm not sure why people have taken exception to T in this context. If a person can evience that they have lower than normal levels, then surely they have the right to riase their levels to an average value before they compete?

Would you begrudge an asthmatic using an inhaler duting a race, just because they are faster as a result of their lungs not closing up?

I have asthma. Without my inhaler, I could die on the race course if I have an attack.

That would certainly be a negative for me.

OP will not likely die without his T.

Bad analogy.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Last edited by: Ga Tri Coach: May 21, 15 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Liaman wrote:

The whole point of a TUE is that a person requires a certain medication in order to return to a relative baseline.
The medication's function isn't to add a positive, it is to remove a negative. If this makes the person faster, then it has only brought them to the level that they would have been at if they didn't require the meds in the first place.

I'm not sure why people have taken exception to T in this context. If a person can evience that they have lower than normal levels, then surely they have the right to riase their levels to an average value before they compete?

Would you begrudge an asthmatic using an inhaler duting a race, just because they are faster as a result of their lungs not closing up?

I have asthma. Without my inhaler, I could die on the race course if I have an attack.

That would certainly be a negative for me.

OP will not likely die without his T.

Bad analogy.

Is that the requirement for a TUE? That without the medication someone is applying for, they will die?
I get, and believe you about your intentions with your inhaler....but the OP could just as easily accuse you of using it as a performance enhancer. Pro cyclists have used mega doses of salbutamol, etc for a long time, and have been popped for it too.
I do find it unfortunate for those who truly want to use a prescription just to get levels to normal. At the same time, I don't know what the solution is to prevent the abuse of it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 1000th time, there is no "normal". It's entirely dependant in the individual.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
For 1000th time, there is no "normal". It's entirely dependant in the individual.

That's odd....I work in the medical industry, and I could swear every testosterone blood test I've seen comes with a 'normal' range printed right next to the result.......huh...
(OK, somewhat pink...)
Last edited by: gibson00: May 21, 15 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A range which varies wildly. I have been tested. I've seen the "ranges" and don't see how it's possible to really know what my personal "normal" range should be unless I cut out 10 hours per week of endurance training which is supressing my "normal" levels. So should I just pick a number, keep training, and supplement up until I get there?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 'range' doesn't vary wildly, but peoples results can go up and down throughout the range. But if they are tested somewhat consistently in terms of the time of day (morning), it would typically be somewhat constant. I do get that within the normal range, one person might feel great at the bottom of the range, another person may feel like crap there even though it is still considered normal.

For the person just within the range that feels like crap, and especially for the folks who are literally below the normal medically accepted ranges, it's unfortunate they have to choose between feeling well vs competing in sports.
Again, I certainly don't have the answer.. It is what it is for now.
Last edited by: gibson00: May 21, 15 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fact is USADA can test him and ban him if he pops positive. Is it a waste of resources vs testing a much faster person at random?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have put limits on Asthma meds.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to count the inhalers in the jersey pockets at NRC races.....

Limits?
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure if he has a legit medical reason for needing the stuff he can apply for a tue. A doctor needs to fill out the application too I would think.
I thought most asthma puffers also require a tue.
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Popcorn.

Tomorrow is the big race. #FullArmstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

kevin moats banned for doping: 547 facebook likes
WADA Prohibited Substance List Updates: 6 facebook likes

What? Well that's interesting. A-hole is in my AG and beat me at Lavaman. How did I not know this?

Thanks for the heads up Dan.
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aztri81 wrote:
owen. wrote:
Popcorn.

Tomorrow is the big race. #FullArmstrong

Looks like he got his TUE...good for him

Nelson, Jeffrey 140 738 00:45:56 03:03:12 02:15:25 06:14:25

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Last edited by: stringcheese: May 31, 15 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone before a 70.3? [jsnteacher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsnteacher wrote:
I will, no doubt, be at the bottom of my age group

First off, congrats on your race. Finishing a 70.3 is a nice accomplishment. With that being said, it looks like the testosterone propelled you to the middle or top half of your age group. I'm pretty sure you would have finished without it. Going forward, race clean.
Quote Reply

Prev Next