Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Olympic vs. Long Distance
Quote | Reply
Does anybody have any advice on switching between olympic distance races and long distance ones?
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic vs. Long Distance [CDivs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what kind of advice to you need? A little specificity might help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDivs wrote:
Does anybody have any advice on switching between olympic distance races and long distance ones?

What is long? If 70.3, I have not found any needed training compared to Olympic. If compared to an IM, well, ...

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic vs. Long Distance [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking for training tips mainly. To be even more specific speed tips on the run
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic vs. Long Distance [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More 70.3 right now, but if you have any advice on a full that would be great too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDivs wrote:
More 70.3 right now, but if you have any advice on a full that would be great too

Personally, unless you are doing consistency, frequency, duration, 12 months a year, 6 to 7 days a week, IMO, your body would be at higher risk if you just go at it.

Get to where you can run like 3 days a week at a nice LSD pace for 90 minutes an outing. Put if you can a lot of good hills in it. Great way to get speed work
is to then go race lots of shorter stuff.

If you are just trying to finish a full, really is not that hard. I did my first on like 6 hours per week. Was not pretty, but I finished. Is it worth all the training
to try and get fast at it? Unless you have started with the right parents, ....

The top folks train a lot, over the years, year round, and do not generally get hurt.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice nutrition-biggest difference for me. Learn what your body can take in (solid/liquid, rate) and train it to handle course nutrition.
Lots of time in the saddle and on your feet too, but those are pretty obvious.
If you search the forum there's dozens of similar threads with nuggets of wisdom depending on how competitive you are. --J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDivs wrote:

really not enough info to get specific yet.

But, I will compare that "speed" in a half isn't so much speed as it is being able to suffer the whole distance at a pace that isn't much slower than oly. I suspect for most the only way to get tough enough to entertain "holding" that type of pace is by doing what I call runners mileage, week after week after week (aka, consistency), with the appropriate mix of faster than pace work, etc. How that translates to you specifically, I'd need much more info to hazard a guess.

Info needed would be:
weekly mileage for the last 5ish months.
Best current road 5, 8 or 10k
Current Oly run time.
Injury history,
etc, etc...

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic vs. Long Distance [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, that was very helpful. I mainly just wanted to increase my speed for the olympics. The endurance part of the half and full is a pretty big challenge in itself and I don't plan on coming close to winning. With that, I tend to get into a trend of only working on endurance for the long distance races so when it comes time to olympics, I have the endurance but not the speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do Olympic early season or during base periods, then build for 70.3. A good method of training is doing training that is the least specific to your even in base periods, and then during builds, work that is more specific. So for 70.3, you work on higher intensity intervals and threhsold work both running and cycling. Then you work on more long tempo work in a build.

Some elements should always remain. The long ride, the long run.

Running is more about consistency, improving or cementing in good mechanics, then speed work and intervals are icing on the cake. No need for icing until you've baked a cake. So many jump right into faster work without either a solid run mileage base, or consistency. Exception being former elite runners.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic vs. Long Distance [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Do Olympic early season or during base periods, then build for 70.3. A good method of training is doing training that is the least specific to your even in base periods, and then during builds, work that is more specific. So for 70.3, you work on higher intensity intervals and threhsold work both running and cycling. Then you work on more long tempo work in a build.

Some elements should always remain. The long ride, the long run.

Running is more about consistency, improving or cementing in good mechanics, then speed work and intervals are icing on the cake. No need for icing until you've baked a cake. So many jump right into faster work without either a solid run mileage base, or consistency. Exception being former elite runners.
That is probably the best training tip I have heard. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, do long distances favor a different kind of bike cadence than olympic, or is that always a preference issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's mostly a preference thing. I'm personally just over 90 for sprint/olympic distance, then just under 90 for HIM and Ironman distance.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply