Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time to change out my rusted bolts - recommend some good ones online
Quote | Reply
I'm getting sick and tired of looking and my permarusted bolts on my aerobars and headset. If anyone has a good source including model # and size to buy online, would be great. I've heard good things about titanium ones not corroding as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to change out my rusted bolts - recommend some good ones online [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanuim bolts won't rust, but are also only 60% as strong as steel (work for most applications, but not all). http://www.amazon.com/...-Taper/dp/B00A363X0U

The lowest cost option is using black oxide coated bolts. They will still rust a bit though.

Another option is stainless steel bolts.

Sometimes you can find both these at Home Depot, and certainly online through McMaster-Carr and other distributors. The best bet is often eBay. http://www.ebay.com/...=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

Stem bolts are typically M5 (lengths vary, but 16mm should work). Aerobars differ by manufacturer and model.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Time to change out my rusted bolts - recommend some good ones online [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both Ti and stainless steel are good alternatives, Ti is expensive but lighter.
Remember to use anti-seize compound in the threads.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some grades of stainless can be fairly weak as well, so just be careful when ordering. But stainless would solve your rust problem for the least money and best availability. mcmaster will most like have what you need, might have to order 100 though.. anyone need some short bottle cage bolts? I have about 96 spares :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm getting sick and tired of looking and my permarusted bolts on my aerobars and headset. If anyone has a good source including model # and size to buy online, would be great. I've heard good things about titanium ones not corroding as well.

Toronto cycles (google them) have just about every replacement bolt you could want in just about any material or color. Check them out.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to change out my rusted bolts - recommend some good ones online [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
Some grades of stainless can be fairly weak as well, so just be careful when ordering. But stainless would solve your rust problem for the least money and best availability. mcmaster will most like have what you need, might have to order 100 though.. anyone need some short bottle cage bolts? I have about 96 spares :)

I've got 46 black anodized alloy ones if you need any ;).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should be proud of the rusted bolt. Proof of all the hard work you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to change out my rusted bolts - recommend some good ones online [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha...I currently have 24 spare stainless steel headset bolts (M6x30mm, 1.00mm pitch) if anybody needs some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ordered from Boltdepot.com for some other things and I need to do the same for my bike... order some new bolts especially around my headset and aerobars. They have all sorts of stuff, tend to be reasonably priced and I think they have a sheet you can print out to figure out your bolts sizes, thread type, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to change out my rusted bolts - recommend some good ones online [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come to think of it, I'd be interested in any recommendations for a stainless steel M5 'bolt set' that comes with a whole bunch of bolt lengths so if one doesn't fit I can just try another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.mcmaster.com is where I get the majority of fastening parts from. Stainless is ok for non-structural parts like bottle cages and top caps, but I will use zinc coated steel for high stress areas on stems or aerobars. Stainless is less than half as strong as alloy steel, so while the zinc coated screws don't stop corrosion as long, it is definitely the way to go for safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use superglue instead of bolts to save weight :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan Rapp Rappstar used all stainless steel bolts on his Specialized bikes. Not sure if this is true for the new Dimond setup. I saw on an old thread that he orders them in qty of 25 or 50 from McMaster Carr.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to change out my rusted bolts - recommend some good ones online [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Toronto

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to mcmaster and get 316 stainless steel bolts. They are highly corrosion resistant.
Quote Reply