Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Displaced Clavicle - Will I need surgery (xrays)? [OldSlowTony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and as mentioned above, the narcotics (Norco) will stop you up, so definitely need stool softener or ditch the narcotics.
Quote Reply
Re: Displaced Clavicle - Will I need surgery (xrays)? [OldSlowTony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As most of you suspected, the orthopedist confirmed that I need surgery and I'm lined up to have it done on Thursday. I'm a little doped up as I write this but he said that along with the main fracture there are also some butterfly fragments so he feels the screw/plate option is the best treatment plan. I asked about the potential for a rod but he doesn't think there is enough bone and the long term outcome wouldn't be as good.

In a way, I'm kind of glad since this will hopefully stabilize everything and get me on the path to recovery quicker. Just hoping I don't have any long term issues with the new hardware.

I sound like a broken record but I really appreciate everyone's advice and I can't thank each of you enough. Although it sounds like Boulder is out, I hope to see some of you at Tremblant!
Quote Reply
Re: Displaced Clavicle - Will I need surgery (xrays)? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that Wonder Horse. I'd forgotten about that. Now I have a contribution to make to the favorite toy thread over in the LR.

Significantly undertrained since 1999
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I broke my collarbone when I was 1-1/2. Doing stunts on my Wonder Horse and it buck me off onto the coffee table. I didn't have surgery. Don't remember how long it was before I got back on the horse.

I also separated both shoulders (clavicle torn from the shoulder), the left one completely. I did have surgery on that one eventually. The doc shortened the clavical, chipped a piece of bone off my shoulder with tendon attached, and stuck that in the end to sort of keep it from popping up. We chose that option because it had the best chance of lasting and it's 28 years old now.

I HAD THE SAME WONDER HORSE!!!! Countless hours of whoop ass fun!
Never broke bones - but dislocated my shoulder countless times.
Never see those things now - wonder what lawsuits they might spawn now given what we used to do on them as kids.

To OP - have broken both collar bones - in two different accidents - both involving cyling (not wonder horse).
Both times, the collar bone was in multiple peices, plate & screws - instant pain relief b/c the fracture site was stabilized.
Both times, I had a long road back as I had other injuries from the crashes - so I took it slow & easy - but I could see how folks might be riding the trainer and running relatively quickly after surgery. If you go surgical route, I would not risk riding on the road until the bone starts to mend under the plate.

Let us know how things go.
Best of luck and speedy recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: Displaced Clavicle - Will I need surgery (xrays)? [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I HAD THE SAME WONDER HORSE!!!! Countless hours of whoop ass fun!
Never broke bones - but dislocated my shoulder countless times.
Never see those things now - wonder what lawsuits they might spawn now given what we used to do on them as kids.

Lawsuits? I don't think they were invented yet. That was back in the say when kids were expected to get hurt on a regular basis. Well, boys at least. The "intended" use of these toys was to rock back and forth, but of course that gets old after about 5 seconds. The real fun was making it "gallop" around the house, seeing how high you could get it to bounce, and launching off it.

Quote Reply
Re: Displaced Clavicle - Will I need surgery (xrays)? [triharder81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke the shit out of my collar bone and it healed pretty well without surgery one of the best bones to break imo lol but yea you'll polly be good in like 2 months
Quote Reply
Re: Displaced Clavicle - Will I need surgery (xrays)? [triharder81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good plan. You won't have any trouble with the new hardware. It will be stronger than before. Just do the rehab properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That picture brings back so many fun memories!! The end to wonder horse came one year after watching gymnastics during the Olympics. My sis and I used it as a launchpad to duplicate all kinds of flips - which of course ended with a trip to emergency room. Poor, innocent wonder horse was then sentenced to the attic. Fun times!
Quote Reply

Prev Next