Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wildflower Q&A Thread....Monty and Slowman....tell Us all we need to know [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just hope we get some darn rain next year. Would love to do the race again, but, even though many folks says this new WF format is "fun", Nah, will wait until the lake fills.

Now you need to come do IMLT 70.3 I think Keith might be doing the full IMLT.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Q&A Thread....Monty and Slowman....tell Us all we need to know [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer the old format, but the "split run format' is cool and tough also. It's part of the sport to work with what nature and topography gives...Wildflower is the anti cookie cutter event.

As for IMLT, let's see how my year pans out. It is a distinct possibility. I am not ruling it out
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Q&A Thread....Monty and Slowman....tell Us all we need to know [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well there was not much of a smackdown in 50-54. Neither Pete Kain nor Tim Sheeper made celebrity appearances,//

Tim was busy beating up on all the over 40 guys in the MTB triathlon. He crushed all the old guys, setting a new standard that should stand for quite some time. He probably needs a year off after last years harder than pro schedule, so just going to do some sprints. Didn't get a chance to talk to him, but did catch up with a lot of the old crew. Great weekend, hotter than the past few races, but not as hot as it usually is. Last few years have just been too perfect weather wise, the heat had to come back eventually, now hopefully the rain will follow.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Q&A Thread....Monty and Slowman....tell Us all we need to know [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well there was not much of a smackdown in 50-54. Neither Pete Kain nor Tim Sheeper made celebrity appearances,//

Tim was busy beating up on all the over 40 guys in the MTB triathlon. He crushed all the old guys, setting a new standard that should stand for quite some time. He probably needs a year off after last years harder than pro schedule, so just going to do some sprints. Didn't get a chance to talk to him, but did catch up with a lot of the old crew. Great weekend, hotter than the past few races, but not as hot as it usually is. Last few years have just been too perfect weather wise, the heat had to come back eventually, now hopefully the rain will follow.

from my seat of the pants weather indicator...

yesterday felt perfect; by race time and into the day. It was shivering/hand numbing cold riding down Lynch in the AM to T1.5/2. The previous two years seemed hotter out on the run. But, I don't have any data. I remember walking to my car after awards and thinking the temp for hanging out/camping was absolutely perfect.

I looked for you and Dan (to shake hands) - no go. Consolation prize? I did meet Dev! :-) (but he stiffed us at awards) -_- (so I got his million Loony cheque, and the Two-Four of beer!)

And ya, Sheeper is the man

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Q&A Thread....Monty and Slowman....tell Us all we need to know [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, Tim has been busy doing crazy endurance stuff this year. He did a 400 mile unsupported mountain bike race, called the Stagecoach 400 a few weeks ago, and just did the r2r2r in the Grand Canyon last week. He has a bunch of other challenges lined up for the year. Crazy man! :)

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Q&A Thread....Monty and Slowman....tell Us all we need to know [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
monty wrote:

from my seat of the pants weather indicator...

yesterday felt perfect; by race time and into the day. It was shivering/hand numbing cold riding down Lynch in the AM to T1.5/2. The previous two years seemed hotter out on the run. But, I don't have any data. I remember walking to my car after awards and thinking the temp for hanging out/camping was absolutely perfect.

I looked for you and Dan (to shake hands) - no go. Consolation prize? I did meet Dev! :-) (but he stiffed us at awards) -_- (so I got his million Loony cheque, and the Two-Four of beer!)

And ya, Sheeper is the man

Apologies about missing the awards. Congrats again on a fantastic day. I had a lift back to San Jose with Rob Gray who had family obligations so timing would have not worked stick around. As for the 2 Million Loonie cheque, well it's worth a bit more than old Italian Liras....

As for the weather, my Garmin file for the bike indicated a low temp of 22C average of 29.5C, and max of 36C. My Garmin Edge 500 "tends" to over report by 3 degrees, so take that for what it is worth. I never felt uncomfortably hot on the run but at the same time, you could feel it was warm "enough".

By the way, Slowman was hanging out in the shade under a tree, telling war stories of his 2nd place smackdown in the M55-59 mountain bike event. Legend has it that he was the swim-run stud in the group, but on the bike he did everything perfectly other than being out climbed, out descended, and out cornered on the MTB leg (we are unsure if there is anything else in the MTB leg that he could have perhaps been number 1 at) . He is apparently going to be lobbying Terry Davis to make the swim and run longer....isn't that against slowtwitch doctrine? I thought this entire website is about the bike with a swim and run tacked on to a bike race to distinguish triathletes from the roadies?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly, Dave has never done Wildflower, so he doesn't realize how brutal that run is with a good 1650 ft of steep climbing on dirt in pretty gnarly heat. I actually thought the 2nd run was easier without the run down into the pit, but I agree that the first two miles of running in the deep sand was pretty sapping.

It was good to meet both you Dev and Manofthewoods at the race (We met at the end, you passed me on the run at mile 11 as I recall).

I thought it was great, and I really like the swim. I've done Wildflower many times and this was no different, except now the number of people is more like what it was back in the early 90s. Too bad really, it's an unforgettable race.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Q&A Thread....Monty and Slowman....tell Us all we need to know [tmonica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tmonica wrote:
If I remember correctly, Dave has never done Wildflower, so he doesn't realize how brutal that run is with a good 1650 ft of steep climbing on dirt in pretty gnarly heat. I actually thought the 2nd run was easier without the run down into the pit, but I agree that the first two miles of running in the deep sand was pretty sapping.

It was good to meet both you Dev and Manofthewoods at the race (We met at the end, you passed me on the run at mile 11 as I recall).

I thought it was great, and I really like the swim. I've done Wildflower many times and this was no different, except now the number of people is more like what it was back in the early 90s. Too bad really, it's an unforgettable race.

Which Dave? If me, I have done WF Olympic a few times. You can look my results up. Would love to do again, but need the water to come back first. I love the course since it is nice and hard, and the hotter it is, the better
as far as I am concerned. I loved racing it 3 years ago against Dean Harper, and it was hot.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: May 3, 15 20:32
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Q&A Thread....Monty and Slowman....tell Us all we need to know [tmonica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tmonica wrote:

Hey thanks Tom for towing me through the first half of the swim; my PR by a whole 3 seconds (assuming the distance was accurate...) Great to meet you. Thanks for pointing out the showers to me. And, good luck with the run program.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next