Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baxter's nerve entrapment
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone
I'm hoping to find someone with experience with Baxter's nerve entrapment.
After treating for PF for several months my podiatrist had me get an MRI. The report said negative, but as he read the whole thing he noted that the radiologist had made a finding that the abductor digiti muscle had atrophied. My podiatrist said that is diagnostic of Baxter's nerve entrapment.
He gave me a steroid shot under the skin at the point of most pain and put me in a walker boot. Luckily the boot seems to really help with pain, but I still have pain if I need to be in a regular show for some reason. I go back in 2 weeks. He did say it may be some trial and error to find the nerve with the steroid.
Has anyone had this diagnosis? What was your treatment and did it work? My understanding (Dr Google) is that conservative treatment doesn't seem to work very well and many people end up having a surgery to release the nerve.
Quote Reply
Re: Baxter's nerve entrapment [Jennifer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good that you have a possible diagnosis since Baxter's nerve entrapment is frequently missed as simple plantar fasciitis (you can, and likely, have both though).

Surgical release of Baxter's nerve is difficult since so little evidence to support and very few people with experience in doing them. I've had some success with gabapentin (Neurontin) for some of the burning type pain and there are a few ongoing studies utilizing alcohol slcerosing injections of Baxter's nerve as well.

Best of luck and bump for other's experiences.

Re: Baxter's nerve entrapment [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply.
He did mention it was fairly rare and he has only seem a handful in his career. He did start talking about how he would do the surgery and maybe or maybe not do a plantar release at the same time. But then said he was getting way ahead of himself since there were more conservative measures to try first. He almost seemed exited about the diagnosis.
For the shot he asked me to point out the site of most pain by touch and did say that is right where the nerve tracks
Quote Reply