Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone raced a half or full marathon on a track? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done a half on 1/5 mile track. It wasn't that bad actually and wish they still held the race. I do not run on indoor otherwise because of the injury risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone raced a half or full marathon on a track? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have friends that have run a 24h race on a 500m indoor track in Norway. They had a blast.
The track is under the stands of Bislett stadium.

I also watched Mosop running 75 laps 30k in Eugene. All under 69s.

By the way, a mile is 1609 meters. 4 laps and 9 meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great event. For people in prison.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone raced a half or full marathon on a track? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Having picked up speed skating I can tell you single leg recovery is key for longer distance success. Because you are always going left, you will overload parts of your legs/hips if you can't learn to relax them. Entirely during your recovery stride. TC, you as a swimmer should get the concept of the recovery phase of a stroke. Same idea. So do some track work and be conscious of how you run your straightaways.

Fwiw, I'd totally do the half too. :-)

Thinking about relaxing hips is good... thanks for the tip.

I registered for the half. It's just somehow too appealing (in a mildly twisted way) to pass up. I'm going to race, then we'll spend the rest of the weekend hiking in Bryce Canyon.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone raced a half or full marathon on a track? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
d00d wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:
I have not. I would not. If you go for it good luck, let us know how it goes.

x2 on what Dr. Suess said.

"Go dog go" was my favorite book as a child.

PD Eastman
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone raced a half or full marathon on a track? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did an indoor 5k on a 200m track (25 laps) it wasn't bad, but there were only 6 other people in my heat. 200 people? No thanks. I have done a couple 11 mile indoor workouts, I usually warm up and cool down in one direction and workout in the opposite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.marathonguide.com/....cfm?MIDD=3135150125
Ran the Icebreaker half marathon this past weekend in Milwaukee at the Pettit ice center, about 200 entries total in 2 half marathon races, I ran 1:28 and change, fun event inside lane for the fastest runners and passing, outside for the more pedestrian runners, overall never had an issue with passing or other runners in the way. I did not experience any issues with the turns post race feel as I do after a half marathon on the roads. Time goes very fast and with getting splits for every lap easy to keep an even pace, as I ran each lap between 1:51 and 1:54. DJ pumped in great music, read the reviews of past participants on marthonguide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't raced a half indoors, but ran about 4 of them last year. We had so much ice outside that I did most of my run training on a an indoor track to avoid treadmills. I am lucky that my track has 2 lanes and each runs the opposite way, so I would change up every 15 minutes or so. But I also did a lot of hip strength training outside of running, and that helped me. I think I hit about 25 km one run and it is a 260m track.

The one area I hate is that the air is often really dry at my track, don't know what eh air quality is like at the track you will go to.

Have a blast, it should be fun. If you have to slow down and stretch out the hip, that's fine, just do it. Good luck!

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread has a lot of information about a marathon on a track, surprised it hasn't been posted.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5075822&page=2
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone raced a half or full marathon on a track? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall many years ago reading a Runner's World article about a guy in prison who ran a marathon in the prison exercise yard. They actually calculated the number of times around the yard was 26.2
Quote Reply

Prev Next