Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wilsons Temperature Syndrome: low body temp
Quote | Reply
I feel validated.

For years I have been dealing with intermittent health issues that manifest in myriad ways - I was sent for many tests all coming back fairly normal.

One of the common symptoms I experienced was feeling like I had a fever but every time I checked my temp it was lowish (97.x F) in spite of feeling feverish. I felt like my doc doubted me when I told him I felt the fever in spite of his thermometer showing low-normal.

A few months ago I started periodically taking my temperature at various times regardless of how I felt - it never, ever got above 97F, usually 96.5-ish - on Sunday I was definitely feeling a fever and it read as 97.0F.

I've been perplexed why my body temp always reads low - yesterday I mentioned it to a naturopath doc, she took my temp and it was - surprise! out of normal range low. She suggested I take my temp before getting out bed in the morning, between noon and 3pm, and then in the evening. She said something may be amiss with my thyroid.

Last night I started googling low body temp and discovered this doc's theory: Wilson's Temperature Syndrome.
http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/

I feel validated because its not my imagination - my body temp is low and when I feel a fever my body temp rises into the low/normal range so the docs misdiagnose.

Hopefully can get this straightened out naturally through the naturopath's recommendations as I'd prefer not to go the synthetic route if I don't have to. Luckily Wilson professes that many patients recover and don't require life long treatment.

Any one else always have low, out of normal range, body temp? Have you been treated for thyroid disorder?

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Wilsons Temperature Syndrome: low body temp [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting, my wife is always cold, never mentions she feels feverish but her temp is never above 97.5. I always joke that she's a reptile and needs a heat lamp. I'll have to tell her about this.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a quote from the American Thyroid Association ...
The American Thyroid Association has found no scientific evidence supporting the existence of “Wilson’s syndrome.” The theory proposed to explain this condition is at odds with established facts about thyroid hormone. Diagnostic criteria for “Wilson’s syndrome” are imprecise and could lead to misdiagnosis of many other conditions. The T3 therapy advocated for “Wilson’s syndrome” has never been evaluated objectively in a properly designed scientific study. Furthermore, administration of T3 can produce abnormally high concentrations of T3 in the blood, subjecting patients to new symptoms and potentially harmful effects on the heart and bones.
The ATA supports efforts to learn more about the causes of somatic symptoms that affect many individuals, to test rigorously the idea that some as yet unidentified abnormality in thyroid hormone action might account for even a small subset of these symptoms, and to pursue properly designed clinical trials to assess the effectiveness of lifestyle, dietary, and pharmacological treatments for these common ailments. However, unsupported claims, such as those made for “Wilson’s syndrome,” do nothing to further these aims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the range of human core temperature is from 97.02F to 99.7F

how and where your measure also has variance; rectal measurement is more accurate, oral (under the tongue) is least.

I wouldn't put much faith in body temperature measurement to validate anything to do with the thyroid.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wilsons Temperature Syndrome: low body temp [dr steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. I was curious as to why Wilson did not cite any research. A red flag for me.

I'll mention Wilson's Syndrome to the naturopath and see what she has to say.

I'll then mention the ATA statement and see what she has to say.

In the mean time I'll start the thrice daily temp recording (after my vacation on the beach) so the ND can have some data.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
I feel validated.
For years I have been dealing with intermittent health issues that manifest in myriad ways - I was sent for many tests all coming back fairly normal.
One of the common symptoms I experienced was feeling like I had a fever but every time I checked my temp it was lowish (97.x F) in spite of feeling feverish. I felt like my doc doubted me when I told him I felt the fever in spite of his thermometer showing low-normal.
A few months ago I started periodically taking my temperature at various times regardless of how I felt - it never, ever got above 97F, usually 96.5-ish - on Sunday I was definitely feeling a fever and it read as 97.0F.
I've been perplexed why my body temp always reads low - yesterday I mentioned it to a naturopath doc, she took my temp and it was - surprise! out of normal range low. She suggested I take my temp before getting out bed in the morning, between noon and 3pm, and then in the evening. She said something may be amiss with my thyroid.
Last night I started googling low body temp and discovered this doc's theory: Wilson's Temperature Syndrome.
http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/
I feel validated because its not my imagination - my body temp is low and when I feel a fever my body temp rises into the low/normal range so the docs misdiagnose.
Hopefully can get this straightened out naturally through the naturopath's recommendations as I'd prefer not to go the synthetic route if I don't have to. Luckily Wilson professes that many patients recover and don't require life long treatment.
Any one else always have low, out of normal range, body temp? Have you been treated for thyroid disorder?

I have this low body temp also as whenever I give blood, my body temp is in the range of 94 to 97 degrees F. I've never had any health issues from this though as my health has been outstanding throughout my life so far, and my thyroid levels are always normal when I have routine physicals. I find that I don't tolerate cold water as well as the avg person, but I can run in the heat pretty well. So, I take the good with the bad:) Good luck with resolving your issues.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondered the same thing, so I just started taking my temperature a lot for a while. I even added a second thermometer (the Mansfield) in case the first (Dorel) was off. Charting my temperature measurements against "normal" and the thyroid group's min and max before rising helped me see myself better.

As you can see, in maybe 100 measurements over most of a month, I never once recorded a temperature at "normal;" all were below, some by a lot.

My doc said my thyroid checked out fine. I took data until I was convinced that I'm one of those folks who just runs a little colder. Now I just bring a jacket with me.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Wilsons Temperature Syndrome: low body temp [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

My doc said my thyroid checked out fine. I took data until I was convinced that I'm one of those folks who just runs a little colder. Now I just bring a jacket with me.

Interesting...my body temp is typically slightly below "normal", while my wife's is slightly above...which usually results in her feeling more cold for a given ambient temp. That was a real issue when sleeping on a waterbed. Turn the temp down so I'd be comfortable, and she'd freeze...turn it up a degree F or 2 for her, and I'd be sweating ;-)

edit: As part of my work, I spent a lot of time evaluating the temperature perception of handheld electronic devices. It's interesting to point out that people don't actually perceive temperature, but instead heat flux...which makes sense when you think that the point of the sensory nerves in that regard is to prevent burning, which is a function of heat flux.

If you want to do an experiment that is somewhat "mind blowing"....place one hand in an ice bucket for a short time and have the other inside a glove with one of those chemical hand heaters. Then, grab a steel or aluminum bar with both hands that's been sitting in ambient conditions and see how each hand "feels" :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Dec 18, 14 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Wilsons Temperature Syndrome: low body temp [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, a really great experiment everyone should do on themselves.

Even easier is three bowls of water: hot, medium, cold.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
If you want to do an experiment that is somewhat "mind blowing"....place one hand in an ice bucket for a short time and have the other inside a glove with one of those chemical hand heaters. Then, grab a steel or aluminum bar with both hands that's been sitting in ambient conditions and see how each hand "feels" :-)

A statistician might try to convince you that if you put one hand in boiling water and the other on dry ice, that on the average, you'd be okay.

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Wilsons Temperature Syndrome: low body temp [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I wonder with these low body temps... what are your run times? Perhaps you will have success in warm weather races?
Quote Reply
Re: Wilsons Temperature Syndrome: low body temp [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
So I wonder with these low body temps... what are your run times? Perhaps you will have success in warm weather races?

Or less success...I struggle with athletic performance in hot temps. I think my core temp "likes" to be kept cooler.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Interesting...my body temp is typically slightly below "normal", while my wife's is slightly above...which usually results in her feeling more cold for a given ambient temp. That was a real issue when sleeping on a waterbed. Turn the temp down so I'd be comfortable, and she'd freeze...turn it up a degree F or 2 for her, and I'd be sweating ;-)

edit: As part of my work, I spent a lot of time evaluating the temperature perception of handheld electronic devices. It's interesting to point out that people don't actually perceive temperature, but instead heat flux...which makes sense when you think that the point of the sensory nerves in that regard is to prevent burning, which is a function of heat flux.

Very good point about perception that I'm not sure a lot of people realize- that you sense heat flow and not pure temperature. There's a cool demonstration of that you can google of space shuttle heat shield tiles being heated up to 2200F and picked up with bare hands because the conduction of heat from the tiles is so low. That's the whole idea behind "wind chill" or "heat index" in weather reporting. Also why you feel cold when you have a fever- the greater difference between your body temperature and your surroundings than normal drives a greater heat flux, so your nervous system interprets that as feeling cold, even if you're hot.

My wife and I are the same way- she's always feeling colder than I am and wants to pile on the blankets in bed, which makes me roast. But in our case I'm the one with the higher body temperature. So I think there must be some other factor to it- maybe the balance between heat generation and heat loss versus some preferred equilibrium for any given individual. So, in the case of my wife and I, I have the higher body temperature but for one reason or another, maybe metabolic heat generation rate or something, I also am more comfortable at a greater rate of heat loss. I also prefer colder weather than her especially when exercising.

I'm no doctor, but it seems like a balancing act for every individual. I'm sure somebody's studied this.
Quote Reply