Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: qualifying for Kona [Ken66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken i started racing last yr and did a 4:32 half still not good enough to get me close to KQ slot at IMMT; I suspect you need to be around 4:15-4:20 in a half (race depended of course) to start really thinking about a KQ spot in a full (i am going for 4:20 in 70.3 Fl this spring). You will hear it this yr and you may or may not listen, pick a race that suits your strengths, keep on your paces/watts/HR and see were the cards fall, you never know who will show up for a race either. FYI if your doing IMMT go start training on some serious hills, they did me in this past Aug. Good luck!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: qualifying for Kona [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree about that. There are some abilities people are born with. Genes. There are some who could follow the most rigorous training and never do a sub 5 minute mile then there are others who could just do it without training at all.
I was a runner as I said. At the age of 16 ran a 4:29 mile at 17 did a 1:56.1 1/2 mile, and at 20 ran sub 5's for 5 miles. I was a decent runner then. Many years ( and beers) later I have taken up tri. I will not be as fast as I was a young man, but my goal is to tap into whatever I have left and compete against my peers.....my age group.

dogmile wrote:
You see it all the time posted on ST. Someone wants to know what training it takes to KQ or go a certain time for a race. The answer is if you have a lot of talent, not much. If you have above average talent a lot of work. If you have average talent or below, never. For some reason there is a common perception that the average Joe just needs to train more, want it, and anything is possible. To Colin's point it is much less common for someone to be on the talent bubble and just crank away for a very long time and get there.

lightheir wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
Gary Mc wrote:
Read the interview with Jason McFaul on the front page. He is a monster on the bike and run and it still took him over 20 races to qualify. Dude trains more hours than he works every week. That is the kind of commitment it takes.

/

I don't think that the commitment that Jason has shown is normal by any means. He seems exceptional in his attempts and his persistance.
Most people who end up KQ'ing, and repeating, do so in their first few races.

It's also not normal to train that much to have to get there.

I am more of a believer that it's either in the cards or it's not. Try a few times, but don't let it rule everything in life.

I think so - it's really humbling to see a super hardworking guy like that (he says he put up 40 hour training weeks in Hawaii on the course in the 6 weeks prior to Kona!) still go 10+hrs on the course whereas quite a few folks on this forum train 12-15 and go 9ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are on the bubble…pick your course, in 2013 at IM Whistler there were about 2500 people and 100 spots….turned out to be in certain areas a bit of a draft fest, this year with 2000 people and 50 spots it was pretty clean, or about as clean as you could expect. I was around around a 5:30 biker on that course and I would see people about every 5 min or so.

In 2013 40-44 last spot was 9:45 this year (slightly hotter) it went 10:17 (less competition and spots) a bit slower in 45-49

…….Don't chase 75 or 100 spot races, pick an honest (harder) 50 spot race.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: qualifying for Kona [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMMT as far as I know, is a very competative race. As I mentioned before, in my age cat, the guys that came in 1 and 2 went to worlds and came in 2nd and 8th. These guys from what I see run this race year after year. I believe they will be there in 2015 as well. I will train hard and long, I will be mentally prepared for it. I'll race conservatively during the begining of each event and build. Will see how it goes. I do want to get in the mix. These guys were riding 22.1 to 22.6 mph. I can do that on only 220 watts. That 110 less than FTP, and that's at my current conditioning. I know I will be a much stronger cyclist 9 months from now

mauricemaher wrote:
If you are on the bubble…pick your course, in 2013 at IM Whistler there were about 2500 people and 100 spots….turned out to be in certain areas a bit of a draft fest, this year with 2000 people and 50 spots it was pretty clean, or about as clean as you could expect. I was around around a 5:30 biker on that course and I would see people about every 5 min or so.

In 2013 40-44 last spot was 9:45 this year (slightly hotter) it went 10:17 (less competition and spots) a bit slower in 45-49

…….Don't chase 75 or 100 spot races, pick an honest (harder) 50 spot race.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: qualifying for Kona [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
Honey wrote:
Your best bet is to pick an IM scheduled Sept/October as all the habitual KQ'ers will be on their way to Kona

I'm not sure that helps. The field might be tad bit weaker (I don't even thing this is the case), but rolldown is pretty much inexistent as demonstrated at Mallorca and Barcelona.

Based on what I saw at Coeur d'Alene this year, and have heard at other races - I'm pretty sure these days the rolldown is pretty much non-existent everywhere.

Quote | Reply
Ken ... I'm in same AG and for my money your HIM times are good enough to give you a decent shot at a KQ spot in M45-49 providing you can improve the run a bit and a little luck falls your way.

Colin is spot on in what he says, a large percentage will qualify in their first few attempts. If you're knocking off close to 4:30 HIM in M45-49 at your first attempt on 6-8 hours training per week then with a good training program you have a reasonable chance to qualify. All I'd say is that HIM is very different to IM in that you really need to get nutrition and pacing correct.

Good luck and don't pay too much attention to the multitude of people who make qualifying for Kona sound like you need to be an Olympic gold medalist and train 20+ hours a week for the next 5 years to have any chance. Not saying its easy but its not that hard either with the times you've posted.
Quote Reply
Re: qualifying for Kona [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I have looked into it. There are hills but not killer hills. I looked at several Garmin connect rides there and there is some decent gain. I've also been told the roads are in great shape that is huge. I like hills, especially the ones on this course. Frequent but short rollers that you can carry some momentum up. At 175 lbs I would guess I'm a bit heavier than many but these types of hills I like. I would bet though, I will get my weight down under 170 by race day....

nebeachbum wrote:
Ken i started racing last yr and did a 4:32 half still not good enough to get me close to KQ slot at IMMT; I suspect you need to be around 4:15-4:20 in a half (race depended of course) to start really thinking about a KQ spot in a full (i am going for 4:20 in 70.3 Fl this spring). You will hear it this yr and you may or may not listen, pick a race that suits your strengths, keep on your paces/watts/HR and see were the cards fall, you never know who will show up for a race either. FYI if your doing IMMT go start training on some serious hills, they did me in this past Aug. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea i looked at same garmin power files, looked at elevations, still took me by surprise, then again i only started biking a few yrs ago. They were not as bad on first loupe as the second.

Quote Reply
Re: qualifying for Kona [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebeachbum wrote:
Ken i started racing last yr and did a 4:32 half still not good enough to get me close to KQ slot at IMMT; I suspect you need to be around 4:15-4:20 in a half (race depended of course) to start really thinking about a KQ spot in a full (i am going for 4:20 in 70.3 Fl this spring).

Caveat ..... I don't know anything about the NA tri scene but I'd seriously doubt that 4:15-4:20 is a standard 70.3 time for a podium in the M45-49.

I'd *think* if you're a sub 4:30 guy then in most races you're in contention for a podium spot. I'm sure there are a few that are posting 4:15 and quicker but in general sub 4:30 should put you up towards the podium. If you're a podium at 70.3 then you have a reasonable shot at a KQ (recognizing that 70.3 & IM are very different races). As I said I don't follow results in NA so correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: qualifying for Kona [HKoldtimer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point, was looking at my age group more: 35-39...guess you get a few more min with age!

Quote Reply

Prev Next