Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Entry to Mid Level Tri Bike 2015 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
I can't quote direct numbers, but the 54/56 come with 170, 58+ 172.5. The 11spd comes with a 110bcd 52/36. 52/36 is generally deemed to be the "best of both worlds" it seems.

I am hoping the 61 comes with 175 but again, no info on the website.

Interesting, I did not realize the 52/36 was 110. For me, I need the 34 gear so for my hills, nope, but the chain rings could be changed.

I need to use 11/32 rear so either bike would need a new derailuer but maybe what on there would work for the 11 speed?

So many things to verify. I just did not want to have to see if I can change my zipp disc from a 10 speed to 11 speed.

Just buy a NOS 10sp or get a used 10sp. If you are picky about gearing and exact part sizing, no point complicating with a switch to 11sp. There are no performance benefits to any of the new components.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Entry to Mid Level Tri Bike 2015 [jkp07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all the bikes are fairly the same in performance. look at a felt ia though that thing is tight, the shiv is also tight if you like the real fat 6:1 tubes. otherwise the 3:1 is personal preference/fit cause they aren't hugely different objectively in frame. people succeed on all the brands. check out the base bars/extensions on all of them to see which one is the one you'd like the most, the saddle, the wheels if they are substantially different (which they probably aren't they probably all have poop wheels), maybe tires, etc... I got a p2 cause I got an absurd deal on it and love it but if I had more money to work with I would've gotten a bike with a flush and low front end but the p2 is great either way. i'd look for storage options too for all of them, top tube bosses, sc has rear storage compartment, shive has fuel box thing, etc i'd stress fit a lot. your body makes the most drag out the the entire bike/human system so the best frame could easily be ruined by poop fit
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Oct 21, 14 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkp07 wrote:
Hello,

I have some connections at a LBS and can get a solid discount on BH, Bianchi, Scott, and Raleigh tri bikes. Does anyone have any recommendations on what which bike would be the best bang for the buck? I am willing to spend up to $6,000 MSRP. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated! Also, I apologize in advance for not listing Specialized or Cervelo, but I do not get a discount on those :)

Edit: I'm not opposed to going with a better quality older bike (any brand). Just wanted to point out that I am capable of getting those certain 2015 bikes at cost.

Keep in mind you'll want a "complete" rig so factor in the cost of a power meter and aero wheels (ballpark of $2200 for both). There are a lot of good options out there. A properly built up Cervelo P2 (TriRig Omega, Sigma, fast basebar) is tough to beat. You can buy the Trek Speed Concept 7.0 and order the 7.5 cockpit and be out the door for about $3800... and that's a screaming fast bike. Of the four brands you listed, look at the Scott Plasma 5 (of course). The Bianchi Aquila looks very sweet but, IMO, is positioned more for short-course racing and time trials. That said, there might be something to their vibration reduction technology. Nothing worth looking at from BH or Raleigh IMO.

In summary: for $6,000 get a Trek Speed Concept 7.0 with the 7.5 cockpit, Flo 60/disc, a quarq elsa R (or wait a bit for some of the other options coming out) and call it a day. Screaming fast setup. Unless of course you're in the same race and age group as me. If so, you'll be far better off on a BH aero with gatorskins on the stock wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Entry to Mid Level Tri Bike 2015 [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
JKLipsky wrote:
Go to http://www.velovie.com. They are a local company here in Tempe, Az and are having a smoking deal on their bikes in September and October.

I just did the Soma Triathlon and saw a lot of their bikes.

You could get quite a lot of bang for your buck.

Bang for the buck how?

Right now they have a 40% of bike sale in October. So one could get their Veloce 500 with SRAM red groupo and Reynolds Assault Rims for $3,700.00, which includes shipping. Leaves a lot of money left over for power meters and other accessories.

Just throwing the option out there. Of course the best bike will be the one that fits best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite is the scott cause of storage options that are super slippery
Quote Reply
Re: Best Entry to Mid Level Tri Bike 2015 [JKLipsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JKLipsky wrote:
Nick B wrote:
JKLipsky wrote:
Go to http://www.velovie.com. They are a local company here in Tempe, Az and are having a smoking deal on their bikes in September and October.

I just did the Soma Triathlon and saw a lot of their bikes.

You could get quite a lot of bang for your buck.

Bang for the buck how?

Right now they have a 40% of bike sale in October. So one could get their Veloce 500 with SRAM red groupo and Reynolds Assault Rims for $3,700.00, which includes shipping. Leaves a lot of money left over for power meters and other accessories.

Just throwing the option out there. Of course the best bike will be the one that fits best.

I stopped by their HQ in AZ. I met with the head mechanic. They have sharp bikes, nice group set options, wheels and at a great price. I needed a new road bike so I picked up the Vitesse 500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of great deals @ Blue Bicycles. Closing out our 2014 bikes and 2015's on the way. We are looking for some Brand Ambassadors so you can always get on our Team Program.
Quote Reply

Prev Next