Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Texas
Quote | Reply
Starting to plan for next year. Focus is on 70.3 distance.

Can anyone share some info on this race in Galveston?

Does it normally sell out?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does sell out but usually not right away. If you want to stay at Moody Gardens you'll need to book quickly.
Do you want course info?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Susan,

Any idea roughly when it has sold out in past?

Any info including course would be awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plan on it being hot. It may not be but weather here is unpredictable at best. You are swimming in the Gulf of YooHoo so prepare by training with painted goggles. Flat easy ride, out and back, but it can be windy. Good crowd support on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:

• Sellout usually happens in March time frame
  • Very bouyant wetsuit swim, but can be very wavy
  • The biggest hills on the race are on the swim...bike and run are very flat...I think someone painted "THE BEAST" on the 3 foot climb to get up to the sea wall
  • Very fair windy bike. Almost zero drafting. Either Texans are more honest than Quebecois (that is where I grew up) where I do my "home" WTC races, or the course is better laid out for less drafting. I believe there is a combination of both
  • It can be deceptively hot on the bike but because it is windy you often can't tell how much you are dehydrating
  • Run can turn into a sauna, all flats very crowded on 100% concrete
  • lots of hotels on the sea wall, that you can get till last moment
  • very well organized event
  • I liked the old date better in early April

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, appreciate the notes on your experience.

I actually picked mainly because of date and location. I live in Michigan, so no early season here. It is the first weekend of our spring break, great location for a spring break for the rest of the family.

devashish_paul wrote:
CJAC wrote:

• Sellout usually happens in March time frame
  • Very bouyant wetsuit swim, but can be very wavy
  • The biggest hills on the race are on the swim...bike and run are very flat...I think someone painted "THE BEAST" on the 3 foot climb to get up to the sea wall
  • Very fair windy bike. Almost zero drafting. Either Texans are more honest than Quebecois (that is where I grew up) where I do my "home" WTC races, or the course is better laid out for less drafting. I believe there is a combination of both
  • It can be deceptively hot on the bike but because it is windy you often can't tell how much you are dehydrating
  • Run can turn into a sauna, all flats very crowded on 100% concrete
  • lots of hotels on the sea wall, that you can get till last moment
  • very well organized event
  • I liked the old date better in early April
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can add, that Galveston is the perfect spring race for northern guys to train for on trainer and treadmill. I actually think we have an advantage at that race training indoors with continuous resistance, no stopping and jacked up core temperature. Likewise for IM Texas. I think those coming from up north training indoors are used to every workout being in the "heat". Whereas those living moderately south (not Houston or Florida, but say in between Michigan and Houston) may have more outdoor riding in cool/moderate temps that is actually not much of an advantage. Same reason I feel that the last few weeks of riding for Kona should mainly be done on the trainer if you live somewhere with cool fall temps. There is no drafting, no coasting, no stopping on the trainer...just continuous grind, and that is what you get at Galveston too.

Have a good spring break. It is unlikely I will make it down this year due to date. Florida 70.3 seems to have an earlier date to get myself rolling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race in 2015 is April 26. Roughly month later than in the past. Wetsuit legal May be dodgy proposition.
It will be warm/hot and windy.
Dead flat bike and run.
Please come Galveston appreciates the tourist $
Yeah I live in galveston.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so bummed, I just realized they moved it, that sucks.
Are there any other halfs close? That you can recommend.
I still want to come give you my $.
Galveston looks like a nice little getaway spot for a family, but I need a race the wwekend of the 5th April.

Kylebutler wrote:
The race in 2015 is April 26. Roughly month later than in the past. Wetsuit legal May be dodgy proposition.
Dead flat bike and run.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kylebutler wrote:
Dead flat bike and run.

Thanks for that, I didn't really notice that change.

Fascinating if it turns out to not be wetsuit legal, that can't help attendance going forward.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race was held in late-April previous to 2011. It was always wetsuit legal. The last time it was held in late-April it was really hot (two degrees shy of the all-time record) and even then the water was like 73 degrees.

It takes a lot to warm up Galveston Bay that early in the year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply