Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

From 10s crankset to 11s compact
Quote | Reply
Hi.

I have a mechanical question about compatibility between systems. I am currently running a Ultegra 10s 6770 (DI2) with standard crankset. I want to upgrade(or downgrade, depends on how you view it) to a compact crankset. My supplier here in Norway is not able to get his hands on a 10s.

My question is as follows: Can I use the Ultegra DI2 6870 compact crankset for my 6770 setup without changing any components but the crankset itself (this one is easier to get a hold of it seems)?

Thanks in advance,
-Tommy
Quote Reply
Re: From 10s crankset to 11s compact [miniols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.merlincycles.com/...nset-grey-56077.html

Plenty of places selling the compact chainset who'll post to you. Merlin is just one; Chain Reaction Cycles are another very good retailer. Support local when you can, otherwise these are good options.
Quote Reply
Re: From 10s crankset to 11s compact [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply.

I need to clarify my situation a bit more I see:
When I bought the bike it was promised with a compact crankset, but due to unforseen circumstances (I expect they were overworked and simply forgot) they delivered it with a standard crankset. So when I found out and contacted them about it, they said that they can't get a hold of the 10s as a replacement for me free of charge which is why I'm wondering if the 11s will work and can ask for that - or if I have to seek other compensation for it and order the crankset from overseas.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would pack the bike back up, give it back to them, and request a refund. Maybe not a typical response, but if they tried to charge me extra for a product I had already paid for, then that is what I would do.
Quote Reply
Re: From 10s crankset to 11s compact [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are not trying to charge me extra for the change, they simply cannot get a hold of the 10s crankset - hence the question if it is compatible with 11s and I can ask for a 11s crankset instead (which I am confident that they will get me free of charge).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has been covered hundreds of times here and on various internet sites. do a search next time.

yes , 10s and 11s cranks are compatible. you will have to shorten your chain and maybe adjust your front D when going from standard to compact.

Don't be so sure they'll give it to you. 10s stuff is losing value due to being 'older tech'. you're essentially asking the manufacturer to eat a loss of 50% on the 10s crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miniols wrote:
They are not trying to charge me extra for the change, they simply cannot get a hold of the 10s crankset - hence the question if it is compatible with 11s and I can ask for a 11s crankset instead (which I am confident that they will get me free of charge).
Oh OK, my bad. I misinterpreted...
miniols wrote:
.....they said that they can't get a hold of the 10s as a replacement for me free of charge.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running a compact 6870 crank on my 10 spd bike w/ no issues.

Note - it is my TT bike and not my roadie. Shouldn't really make a difference, but sometimes STI can get picky.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: From 10s crankset to 11s compact [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
miniols wrote:
Oh OK, my bad. I misinterpreted...
miniols wrote:
.....they said that they can't get a hold of the 10s as a replacement for me free of charge.....

I see I should have stopped at "10s as replacement". My bad :)

Power13 wrote:
I am running a compact 6870 crank on my 10 spd bike w/ no issues.
Note - it is my TT bike and not my roadie. Shouldn't really make a difference, but sometimes STI can get picky.

Thank you, I'll see what they say
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Email them the above URL... They can get one from there ;-)
Quote Reply