Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
sdbanker wrote:

I would also throw Ashville NC and the nearby Hotel Domestique (in SC) owned by George Hincapie on that list. I haven't been there but is definitely on my top 3 to visit and ride.

Does the hotel include a dose of EPO on your pillow each night?

Ha, Quite sure it can be arranged in the "special" package.
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [vcorlew22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.cnn.com/...dex.html?hpt=hp_bn10

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [sdbanker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdbanker wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
sdbanker wrote:

I would also throw Ashville NC and the nearby Hotel Domestique (in SC) owned by George Hincapie on that list. I haven't been there but is definitely on my top 3 to visit and ride.

Does the hotel include a dose of EPO on your pillow each night?

Ha, Quite sure it can be arranged in the "special" package.

I may have found one of their ads.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you willing to travel outside of the USA but still want to stay in North America check out Montreal. Some sources list it as the #1 city for cycling in N.A. Just don't go there in winter unless you bring your skis. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best: Muncie, Indiana...why?! Because we do NOT ride in town. We have a 52-mile one-way paved rail-to-trail project that is nirvana for bikers! 11 feet wide and awesome!
Worst: All others.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done, sir.
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
Almost any major metropolitan area in the city itself is going to blow. Denver sucks, Vegas sucks, Clearwater sucks, Los Angeles sucks and so forth.

As for Denver, at least you have bike paths to get into or out of town without lights. I bike commute from the Highlands Ranch area down the Platte River trail and I can ride 25 miles into town and have only one stop light until I exit in downtown. If I ride the Cherry Creek path to the e-470 path to home, again very few light for 30 miles. As for big cities its not bad with the bike paths but I wouldn't want to ride them everyday but they are good for commuting.

As for Colorado, it was better 25 years ago. There are place I use to ride that I wouldn't even think of riding now. The state, especially the front range, even Boulder, has gone downhill in terms of cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a handy guide to weed out the best American cities for Biking and walking. It turnes out that cities that suck for driving and parking happen to be great cities for biking and walking while cities with a good automible infustructure ( pleanty of free parking, wide roads that are dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians but are great for moving vehicle traffic) stink for cycling.

1. Chicago, Ill.
This city is known for its parking woes—especially the controversial privatization of the parking meters, which led to a dramatic increase in parking fees in 2009. A consortium called Chicago Parking Meters LLC operates the meters. You’ll drop $35 a day to park in the city and $289 per month. The city lists the fines you’ll receive for various parking violations on their website.
This spring, Chicago will test its new ParkChicago app, which allows drivers to pay for parking via an app rather than a meter. There are various websites that help you find the cheapest parking in the city. Chicago is one of the cities supported by SpotHero.com, which helps you find parking and prepay. However, if you want to ditch driving altogether, the city has multiple public transportation options. Bus and “L” riders will soon be able to use their phones to pay for rides.
Unfortunately, Chicago also has 33.4% more motor vehicle thefts per capita than the national average. And if you get a citation, you must contest it within seven days of receiving it or pay the fine online.
2. Oakland, Calif.
Be extra careful when you park in Oakland because the city has 124.59% more motor vehicle thefts per capita than the national average. It’ll cost you $15.50 a day to park in Oakland or $195 a month for parking. However, Oakland has tried to make paying for parking a little easier; the meters allow drivers to pay for parking using the city’s Parkmobile app. For a complete list of Oakland’s parking offenses and fines, check out the city’s website.
If you’re sick of driving, Oakland and the Bay Area have access to Bay Area Rapid Transit, a public transit and subway system. People can pay to park at BART stations and take trains to places around the Bay Area. The BART website provides a convenient fare calculator to help you know how much a trip will cost you. There are stations throughout Oakland and even service to Oakland International Airport.
3. San Francisco, Calif.
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency owns various lots and garages around the city. To ease the burden of finding parking in San Francisco, SFMTA created SFpark, an organization that matches drivers with parking spaces at various rates. Drivers can see where spots are available and how much they’ll have to pay online, though the median price to park is $29 a day and $375 a month. On the bright side, the city has 5.53% fewer motor vehicle thefts per capita than the national average.
The SFMTA provides a how-to page explaining how to park legally in the city. If after reading the page you still manage to get a citation, you can conveniently pay it online. Some of the city’s rules include a 72-hour maximum if no other signs are posted and prohibited parking on certain sides of the road during weekly street sweeping. If you choose to contest a citation, you must do it within 21 days of receiving it. The form for contesting a citation can be found online and must be mailed to the SFMTA Customer Service Center.
4. New York City, N.Y.
In the Big Apple, you should be very careful to make sure you’re not parking illegally as New York City is extremely strict about illegal parking. In fact, the entire city is a tow-away zone, according to the state’s vehicle and traffic laws. This means that any car parked illegally may be towed.
Owning a car in New York is expensive enough, so you definitely don’t want to park illegally and have to pay towing costs and citations. After all, it costs $32 a day and $547.50 a month to park in New York. However, if you do need to pay a citation, you can simply visit New York City’s website. And if you have to have a car, you can use ParkMe orParkWhiz, free apps that helps New Yorkers find available spots for their cars.
5. Boston, Mass.
Boston is one of the cities served by the Parker app, which provides information about spots and garages in the area. It costs $33.50 a day and $405 a month to park in the city. If you’re visiting the city, try going on a Sunday — parking meters are free that day.
In Boston, you can register for ticket notifications, so you can get reminders when you receive a ticket and when you have to pay. You can also appeal a ticket in person, by mail or online. The city’s Department of Transportation keeps the public updated about projects for street improvement through the website Boston Complete Streets.
6. Honolulu, Hawaii
It costs $42 a day and $230 a month to park in Honolulu. If you receive a ticket, you must respond to it within 21 days, either by paying or contesting the ticket in writing or in a hearing. In 2012, Honolulu added 340 smart meters, allowing drivers to pay with Visa or MasterCard in addition to paying with coins.
7. Washington, D.C.
D.C. officers are avid ticketers, as the city collected $92.6 million in parking fines in 2011. (Take note that the highest ticketed time is during the National Cherry Blossom Festival.) If you wind up with a citation, you can pay it online. Do it as soon as possible, too, because if you don’t pay your fine within 30 days, your fine will double. It costs $19 a day and $270 a month to park in the city. D.C. is served by the ParkMobile Android app as well as Parking Panda. You can also search for spots and lots on Best Parking. The city provides a map of garages online, and the site DC Parking helps people learn more about the best places to park in different neighborhoods in the city. Washington, D.C., has 60.17% more motor vehicle thefts per capita than the national average.
8. Seattle, Wash.
If you park outside in Seattle, your car will probably get rained on, so make sure to cover your convertible. It’s also important to know that Seattle follows a 72-hour maximum parking time limit if no other signs are posted. If you receive a ticket, you can pay it in person or online or contest it by requesting a hearing. It costs $27 a day and $285 a month to park in the city. The Seattle city government provides a service called e-Park that helps drivers locate available parking spaces, lots or garages. You can also pay for your spot by phone. The city has 10.32% more motor vehicle thefts per capita than the national average.
Seattle also offers the Link Light Rail service. Although the service is expanding, it currently only runs from the airport to downtown Seattle (with multiple stops in between). Fares range from $2 to $2.75 for adults, and people can use ORCA cards to pay.
9. Philadelphia, Pa.
It costs $25.50 a day and $313.25 a month to park in Philadelphia. Make sure you don’t let those tickets pile up; parking enforcement officers will boot cars that have accumulated three unpaid parking tickets. The city offers explanations and fine amounts for all the various parking citations it issues. The Philadelphia Parking Authority offers a parking locator service online that helps drivers find parking, as well as a list of lots and garages. And, while you should always be careful about where you park, the city has 10.13% less motor vehicle thefts per capita than the national average.
10. Sacramento, Calif.
Sacramento has 67.5% more motor vehicle thefts per capita than the national average, and it costs $15 a day and $145 a month to park in the city. You can pay a ticket online, as well as contest it — as long as it’s within 21 days of the date of issue. The city recently updated its meters in February by adding 4,000 new smart meters that allow drivers to pay with Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover cards.

Best cities for parking

BoiseID$12.00$80.00-84.70%93.48GreenvilleSC$6.00$69.70-46.31%91.77JacksonvilleFL$8.56$90.00-52.46%89.57RaleighNC$10.00$105.00-58.93%88.70Walnut CreekCA$12.00$95.00-52.55%86.42TampaFL$11.00$125.00-52.26%85.37CharlestonSC$14.00$120.00-61.40%84.92Fort LauderdaleFL$15.00$78.00-32.31%81.09West Palm BeachFL$16.00$56.00-23.49%79.91ColumbiaSC$10.00$65.001.88%79.51
Last edited by: Bull_Winkle: Aug 19, 14 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best urban cycling I have done is where I live now - Paradise Valley AZ - with best being a combination of safe, good roads, bike lanes, courteous drivers, nice scenery (mostly houses and some desert mountains). We are a town surrounded by Phoenix on three sides and Scottsdale on the other side. Population is about 15,000. Very low traffic, bike lanes, perfect roads, speed limits strictly enforced, some good hills. Long rides are not possible but 60-90 minutes rides can be done without repeating roads. Scottsdale next door also has some good roads and Fountain Hills a bit further away is very good.
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
One of the best, most beautiful places I've ridden was northern Georgia around the Smokey Mountains. Little small towns with their own personality. I plan on going back there when I get a chance to spend a few days.

That sounds awesome! We are on our way up to South Carolina next week so that would be a fun stop.
Last edited by: vcorlew22: Aug 20, 14 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Victoria - Agreed - but you do require some serious rain gear in the winter - but still doable
Last edited by: bc22: Aug 20, 14 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Best....Madison; Worst.....Orlando, with Las Vegas close behind.

I'll nominate Madison as well, but I'm very biased because I live there. Just avoid the Ironman course in July/August when all of the drivers are irate. Pretty much great riding in any direction out of town. You can choose rolling, hilly, or really hilly. The downside? You have to endure five (perhaps six) months of winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree with you more on Baton Rouge, LA being the worst city to ride in. I've lived in BR all my life and am astonished how horrible it is. St. Francisville is a great place to ride in as long as the rednecks aren't on the road.
Last edited by: charlieravioli: Aug 20, 14 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Best....Madison; Worst.....Orlando, with Las Vegas close behind.

I find Vegas to be near the top of the best places to ride in the country, even compared to the "top places" like Boulder. Great shoulders everywhere, potholes are rare.. Red Rock is amazing, as is the Lake Mead area.

Paul Duncan Jr - Triathlete/Coach/Loyal Friend - Coaching Site -

Quote Reply
Re: Best/Worst City to Cycle In? [pduncan1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worst is Tucson, by far, so crappy. With the Exception of Mt. Lemmon. 2nd place for being terrible is Racine, WI.

For Best, I would say pretty much anywhere in Colorado. I also love Northshore drive outside of Vegas/Boulder City.

Paul Duncan Jr - Triathlete/Coach/Loyal Friend - Coaching Site -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best: Probably Victoria, BC for all around road and mt biking. Actually has some of the best mt biking I've done.
Worst: Auckland, New Zealand. The most aggressive, angry drivers I've ever come across. And that's having spent a great deal of time riding in Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong and Indonesia which have 10 or 20 times the population of Auck.

Auckland almost made me stop riding.

Prev Next