Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TryCharleston..stats?
Quote | Reply
Some really fast amature splits yesterday at Charleston. Anyone have the accurate race distances?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: TryCharleston..stats? [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think shortened because of flooded roads, 53 bike 12.3 run is what I heard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
Some really fast amature splits yesterday at Charleston. Anyone have the accurate race distances?

The swim was the same as usual.

I had 53.14 miles on the bike. It was shortened due to one of the roads being underwater. I did this race in 2012 and had 55.44 miles on the bike. Its usually a fast bike: flat and few turns. The headwind for the first 25 miles made it a little more challenging this year.

I had 12.86 miles on the run. The course wasn't really changed as I had 12.91 miles back in 2012. Not sure why they make the run short. They could easily move the turnaround point to make it 13.11. All the mud and huge puddles made it interesting, though.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the start of the swim start, they announced the bike route was being modified because most of the route was under water. -- "we'll get it close to 56"

The run was under water and even a detour through the woods that was ankle deep.

Even the sprint run was short, little less than 3.
Quote Reply
Re: TryCharleston..stats? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That is about what I was figuring. I bought it was a great day for racing . I enjoyed he steeple chase aspect of the run!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't there but I had a lot of friends racing, so I was watching the weather with interest. It's phenomenal the way the weather broke just enough to allow for the race in somewhat reasonable conditions after the deluge through the night before. And by the afternoon, it started up again! Y'all were livin' right on that one. Glad you asked the question about the distances 'cuz I was thinking some of my buddies were really puttin' me to shame!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
I enjoyed he steeple chase aspect of the run!

As a former collegiate steepler, I will say I did not! At about 7.5miles I took a step off the walkway to avoid a big puddle and my shoe got stuck in the mud. I literally took 2 steps, thought my foot felt funny, looked down, saw the sock, then looked back and saw my shoe. Totally killed my split that mile going back to get my shoe.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: TryCharleston..stats? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:
I enjoyed he steeple chase aspect of the run!

As a former collegiate steepler, I will say I did not! At about 7.5miles I took a step off the walkway to avoid a big puddle and my shoe got stuck in the mud. I literally took 2 steps, thought my foot felt funny, looked down, saw the sock, then looked back and saw my shoe. Totally killed my split that mile going back to get my shoe.

LOL.. That's what you get for cutting the course!!!.. Just kidding. It seemed to be about 50/50 whether people took the flooded paved trail or the muddy grassy route.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply