Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno.... A slower rider at yaw with a WIDE back wheel like super 9, 303, jet +, fire blaster, etc

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so 23mm only for Tri. Got it, thx. Then who would desire the higher widths?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Ok so 23mm only for Tri. Got it, thx. Then who would desire the higher widths?

23mm or narrower. I would make the 22mm continental attack my top choice for a triathlon tire at the moment, in clincher.

and maybe the 22mm ironman schwalbe for tubular.

Not that 22mm is magic, those are just good tires, and happen to be 22mm.

People who want to go wider than 23mm are people who hate freedom.

(you could, on some bikes, and some wheels, go 25mm in the rear and it might not be slower)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have there been any rolling resistance tests comparing the 4000SII to the 4000S?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the differences? Aren't the changes minimal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one likes the Vittoria Evo Corsa clincher?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like how they ride and they have low Crr, but they suck for aero. The Vittoria Triathlon is probably the best pick if you like the type.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a 25mm on my super 9 and I wouldn't consider my last bike split slow. I think it makes the ride a little smoother, especially on rough roads.

Quote | Reply
Sprinters.....sew ups.......= tank treads
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't gatorskins tank tires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
No one likes the Vittoria Evo Corsa clincher?
The Corsa's are pretty nice and you probably won't make a bad choice in choosing them. But, personally, I have found them fairly fragile and flat prone in training and wouldn't want to risk a key race with them. But, then, I also don't recommend Supersonics for longer racers. I think the 4000S is still a gold standard for triathlon races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
What are the differences? Aren't the changes minimal?
I might be making stuff up but I'm pretty sure someone from Continental explained on this forum that there is no difference between the GP4000s II and the GP4000s. This person explained they were making incremental changes to the GP4000s anyway, so to "old" GP4000s are not the same as the newer GP4000s. But the newer GP4000s are the same as the GP4000s II.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode them last year and the year before and liked them. I did 2 IMs, 3 70.3s, and a handful of Olys in them in 2012 then last year used one for the rear and a 20 mm Supersonic on the front. They are fragile and I found some nicks in them after the first race but I never flatted in them. When I saw a nick I put some wetsuit glue on them to cover it, read somewhere around here that worked for someone. I am going with the GP 4000S this season but I wouldn't feel uncomfortable using the Vittoria tires for an IM. As Jackmott always says, don't train and race on the same tire and you won't have an issue with messing up the race tire. I have training tires and racing tires.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
I think the 4000S is still a gold standard for triathlon races.

It is definitely a great choice but I'm leaning Continental Attack now.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah,the few times I tried clinchers, I found the Vittoria's to be the smoothest riding, but no idea about aerodynamics. If I were doing it again, I'd probably just go with Conti GP4000 series tires based on all the recommendations here.
OK, so related questions:
How many of you are using latex tubes? Do they flat more often?
And, a bunch of us were out on a ride yesterday. One guy flatted. He took the tube out to find that it had become all twisted around (or looked that way). How does that happen?? He didn't have a blowout, he just seemed to lose about half his tire pressure really quickly...
Knock on wood, 2+ years since I've had a flat on a tubular, only reason I still use them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride latex for all races and I keep them on my training wheels as well sometimes. Never, knock on wood, had a flat with them during a ride/race but I have pinched them while installing them. I patched them up and trained on them for a season. Just take care to install them and make sure no tube is outside of the tire. The good thing with latex is if you install them incorrectly you will know when you pump them up. They won't really pinch during a ride because they will blow up when you are pumping them up after install.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
How many of you are using latex tubes? Do they flat more often?

I ride latex all the time in training and racing. I don't think anybody can say for sure one way or another whether they flat more or less than butyl. They aren't fragile once they are installed correctly, they *may* pinch flat less, but a puncture that flats a latex tube is probably just as likely to happen with butyl. Unfortunately flats can still happen...even in races (as happened to me yesterday). Latex is much nicer to ride on though.

The one thing I would say. If you have a cut/gash in your tire that you're not aware of, then I butyl tube might not pop. Latex will for sure (ask me how I know this).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I ride latex tubes as well. Just take care installing them correctly and they will actually be more flat resistant. Especially in regards to pinch flats.

I think it also depends on what part of the country you ride/race in. When I lived in the Southwest, I got flats all the time from goatheads and would rarely use latex out there as it was too costly to repair/replace the tubes on a regular basis. Now that I live out East, I rarely get flats, so latex make more sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...a puncture that flats a latex tube is probably just as likely to happen with butyl.

Not if it is a small sharp object like a thorn, staple, or wire. Many times I've stopped and pulled these out without getting a flat. That never happened with butyl tubes.

If you have a big enough hole, the latex tube will balloon out of that and pop very quickly.

For the sort of crap I pick up on the roads latex definitely seems more reliable. They aren't as forgiving of poor installation though, which is why most people have problems.

Quote Reply

Prev Next