Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

garmin vector failing to calibrate
Quote | Reply
I apologize in advance if this has been covered, could not find anything related in the search. Scenario: Garmin Vector sees Garmin Edge 500 (across the dance floor, haha). They say hi to each other, exchange serial numbers, all seems to be going well, the Edge window displays calibration. Then, nothing, they refuse to dance. Chain of events, edge is only a month brand new, new garmin vector just installed. Several attempts were made in the shop but there were too many power taps, garmins and other interferences. Took everything into the parking lot, even pushed the pedals backwards. Nothing, still calibrating.... I decided to head out and see if being a few miles away from the store and other bikes would help, blowing a tire in the process! Still nothing. All firmware is up to date on both. Shop programmed in crank length on garmin pedals just in case that was an issue (bike has custom cranks), in which case this was good because the numbers would otherwise be off, if we could get them. Here's the kicker, even in the shop he was able to take his edge and within a few seconds, vector and edge talked and it calibrated! The guys are so nice, I have his garmin while we try to figure out what the problem is. His is an edge 510 which from what I've read, shouldn't make any difference. Maybe I'll go back to training by effort, I did very well without this pita! Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: garmin vector failing to calibrate [madonebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a known issue with the Edge 500 that it won't calibrate without a heart rate monitor. Put one on and try again and see how it goes. Strange but true

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin vector failing to calibrate [mopshiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously the heart rate monitor needs to be paired to the edge, not just you wearing it. I put my strap on, turn on the Edge. It will detect the heart rate monitor then tell you there is a power meter detected and present you with the calibrate option. Should work

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I didn't have the HR strap on when we were doing this. I would assume after the calibration, that the power will display even if I choose not to wear the hr strap? Otherwise I'm returning the garmin and will exchange for another model.
Last edited by: madonebug: Jan 31, 15 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure, though if you've put one on in order to do the calibration (which you should do before every ride) why would you be taking it off again to go riding, power without heart rate seems kind of silly? Your choice though. My 920xt doesn't need a heart rate strap so its just a Edge 500 quirk that causes it so swap for another model if need be.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically do not ride with HR and never race by it, only use it as a gauge for training runs. All cycling and racing I do by effort. It has worked very well for me because of the types of races I prefer. Was simply looking to add a metric to judge progress. Thing is, I loathe that strap.

Typically calibrations are performed on instrumentation to correct for wear and tear on parts, and this typically is not done every single time, only periodically. Interesting that there must be that much drift on the device. Looks like I may be exchanging the Garmin Edge in that case. Another object and hassle before a ride or race, I prefer to keep things minimal. Thanks for the info.
Last edited by: madonebug: Jan 31, 15 20:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heart rate and power compliment each other. Both are useful metrics in there own respect but without both you are really only seeing half the picture.

Calibrating before each ride isn't strictly required but is so easy I just do it anyway. Its asks me, I click yes and it's done by the time I have my shoes on.

You don't really seem like someone who will get the value out of a power meter if you can't be bothered with the basics. There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with that! If you want to track your progress why don't you save yourself the thousand odd bucks and just do an FTP test every 6 weeks or so at a training studio or with someone else's gear?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't usually wear a HR belt then go into 'settings', 'bike settings', 'Ant HR' and select 'No' it will then calibrate fine.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin vector failing to calibrate [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobbie wrote:
If you don't usually wear a HR belt then go into 'settings', 'bike settings', 'Ant HR' and select 'No' it will then calibrate fine.

^^ This. The issue is not "needing to have a HRM present", it's that some Edge models (the 500 most commonly) won't run the power meter calibration sequence properly if it's also searching for another ANT+ peripheral (which also includes speed/cadence monitors). The 510/810/1000 are better at this.

Searching for ANT+ sensors can take about 1/3 of the available radio duty cycle on older Edge and Forerunner models, which is why you can get really bad power meter reception (and this may affect your average power statistics for a ride) if you have previously paired it with a HRM or other sensor and then don't use that sensor while on the bike. The solution is to either wear the HRM, or to go through the Edge menu as noted above and disable the Edge from searching for the sensors. Note that if you go back and select 'yes' it doesn't require you to re-pair the sensors (it will still remember the ID of your HRM) such that you don't need to go through the dreaded 'multiple sensors found' experience. If you do get that behavior then it indicates you had never paired the sensors properly to start with. If you look up 'sensor details' and the ANT+ ID, it should show a non-zero number.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
madonebug wrote:
Typically calibrations are performed on instrumentation to correct for wear and tear on parts, and this typically is not done every single time, only periodically. Interesting that there must be that much drift on the device. Looks like I may be exchanging the Garmin Edge in that case. Another object and hassle before a ride or race, I prefer to keep things minimal. Thanks for the info.
The "calibration" being referred to is actually a misnomer, since all it's doing is setting the torque zero point. Like when you go to use a weight scale, you'd typically hit the "Tare" button before weighing an item.

In this respect Vector pedals are no different from Quarq, PowerTap, SRM, and several other power meters; if you don't zero them regularly (and ideally at the start of each ride) you will get inconsistent and therefore meaningless results. Some power meters have "auto-zero" capability, but you can get burned by that if you do something that causes the power meter to think it's unloaded while you've actually got a foot on the pedal.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin vector failing to calibrate [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional info. I will need to decide from here if I want to deal with just one or both. I'm all for numbers and data, but there are always caveats to using it. HR can be inconsistent due to any number of factors such as medications taken that day, health issues, heat, elevation, time of day, etc. Each person has their own obstacles and trains differently, for me I think power would be a more stable metric effort given my situation. It is not to say I won't end up using both, but I want the option to be able to turn off the HR on race days, use power as a guide (I think I take climbs too easy) and focus on nutrition, esp. IM distance. I have always been able to run off the bike so my goal is to see if I can be working just a bit more during the bike and still do the same.

Electronics can be temperamental, I'd prefer to use it as one metric to gauge where I am but not have to rely on it when conditions dictate it would not be prudent to do so. I think it is important to be flexible and remember why you are out there instead of being owned by your data. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin vector failing to calibrate [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect! Thanks!
Quote Reply