Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

front wheel mounting
Quote | Reply
I'm a noob. Front wheels look like they can be mounted either way, like there's no rotation direction for them. Is this true?
That said, I've noticed some tires have a rotation direction and some don't... for those that don't, you should just be able to slap on a tire any way on the wheel, and you can put the wheel on whichever way you want?

Finally, I have a hed 3 tri-spoke front. Does it matter which way I mount this wheel? There seems to be an opening on one side for the tire stem, does that belong on the drive or non-drive side, or does it matter?

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Re: front wheel mounting [mcoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm a noob. Front wheels look like they can be mounted either way, like there's no rotation direction for them. Is this true?
That said, I've noticed some tires have a rotation direction and some don't... for those that don't, you should just be able to slap on a tire any way on the wheel, and you can put the wheel on whichever way you want?

Finally, I have a hed 3 tri-spoke front. Does it matter which way I mount this wheel? There seems to be an opening on one side for the tire stem, does that belong on the drive or non-drive side, or does it matter?

The "tradition" is to have the quick release to the left (facing forward), and the tire label on the right and adjacent to the valve hole. I believe the tri-spoke has the valve opening on the left side, though it's been a long time since I had mine, so I don't recall if they are symmetrical.

Rotation direction on a tire is silly. Get slick treads.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: front wheel mounting [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess my point is that you can position the quick release on whatever side you want, too. Like, if I have a front wheel with no skewer and a tire that has no rotational direction marked on it.... can I just put the tire on however I want and the skewer in either side?

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess my point is that you can position the quick release on whatever side you want, too. Like, if I have a front wheel with no skewer and a tire that has no rotational direction marked on it.... can I just put the tire on however I want and the skewer in either side?
Yes. Tires and front wheels are symmetrical, with the applicable exception of the computer magnet.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the spars in the HED3 are symmetrical and the wheel can go in either way. But for the rear wheel, I have always seen valve stem opening on the drive side. So if is a uni-directional wheel, it the rear shows what the direction is.
Quote Reply
Re: front wheel mounting [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think the spars in the HED3 are symmetrical and the wheel can go in either way. But for the rear wheel, I have always seen valve stem opening on the drive side. So if is a uni-directional wheel, it the rear shows what the direction is.

This is not correct, the HED3 is not symmetrical. The wheels are designed with a front and a rear to the spokes. When the wheel rotates the blunt edge of the spoke should face forward when it is in the 12:00 position.
Last edited by: burgerdp: Dec 27, 05 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: front wheel mounting [burgerdp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct...the HED3 is designed to rotate in one direction. The easiest way to remember is that the valve should be on the right side (super easy to remember if you have a rear as well).
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Dec 27, 05 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: front wheel mounting [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just to be doubly sure, by "right" side, you mean the drive side?

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just picture an airplane wing. The fat edge goes first.
Quote Reply