Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

front tire aerodynamics
Quote | Reply
would you think a 100mm front aerowheel would be better, same, or worse than 50mm? assuming calm wind conditions. txs

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Re: front tire aerodynamics [HillaryUBL08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By front tire I assume you mean front wheel?

If you can handle the cross wind issues a 100mm is about as aero as you can get for a front wheel. All else being equal, deeper=more aero.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: front tire aerodynamics [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If you can handle the cross wind issues a 100mm is about as aero as you can get for a front wheel. All else being equal, deeper=more aero.
my problem is i have never seen anyone use a 100mm front aerowheel..........if it was a advantage why wouldn't folks be riding almost disks in front in low cross wind races??

Last edited by: HillaryUBL08: Oct 27, 06 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are tons of 80mm rims out there (Zipp 808). Less 100mm because the Blackwell wheel is relatively new and they are a much smaller company.

As for the front discs, they are not allowed.

This isn't an opinion, all else being equal (rim shape, tire, etc.) a deeper wheel is always more aero.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about you but I don't know if I've ever ridden in a race with "zero cross winds". I think a deeper rim is virtually always more aero but even with relatively minor winds many folks will not feel comfortable having something super deep on the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The deeper the dish the more aero, therefore faster, but also the more effected it is by cross winds. Some people can handle a front deeper than 60 mm dish, but most people, especially lighter weight riders, find that 60mm on the front is as much as they want without compromising wind handling characteristics.

Discs are actually banned because of the effect of winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

my problem is i have never seen anyone use a 100mm front aerowheel..........if it was a advantage why wouldn't folks be riding almost disks in front in low cross wind races?? have you??

Quote Reply