Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fractured/broken bones and resting heart rate
Quote | Reply
i've got a question for those that keep track of their resting heart rate every morning and have experienced a broken or fractured bone.

how much did your RHR go up after you sustained the injury? how long until it returned to normal?
Quote Reply
Re: fractured/broken bones and resting heart rate [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to give an exact answer.

As you probably know already, your basal metabolic rate will go up as the bone is repairing itself. How much it would go up would depend on the severity of the fracture. The repair process should go on for several weeks. I'll check with one of my Orthpedic freinds for more specific information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seperated my shoulder 2 months ago and my RHR is still about 10 beats higher than before...

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Re: fractured/broken bones and resting heart rate [tildenm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I seperated my shoulder 2 months ago and my RHR is still about 10 beats higher than before...

so that took you from x to x+10. how do we solve for x?

how are your workouts coming along? does your hr seem to be elevated by a similar percentage as your rhr when riding at a specif power output, or running/swimming at a certain pace?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

so that took you from x to x+10. how do we solve for x?

how are your workouts coming along? does your hr seem to be elevated by a similar percentage as your rhr when riding at a specif power output, or running/swimming at a certain pace?
Not so easy. My RHR used to be 43, now it is 53 and has been so high for a while. Still elevated, perhaps due to the decreased workout schedule, but I am now back to training at 100%. During workouts, however, there has been practically no reduction in power at what was/is(?) my LT. I had some tough runs, mostly due to the way I had to carry my shoulder now, but that is to be expected. No change at all on the bike, but SEEMS like it may take me longer to hit the higher heartrates. Swimming, well, I just got back in the water and have lost a lot of speed, so I don't know about that yet.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I suffered a broken hip it was in the mid/low 40s. I can't remember exactly, but for 3-4 weeks it was in the 60s. I was also experiencing night sweats due to my base rate being higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your injury.

Regarding your question, it's only anecdotal (me) but I did track it very closely.

To give you some background information:
I was in good shape (my accident was about a week after Kona - I was not peaked but it was after a summer of racing). Then I was virtually bed ridden for about three months. As you can imagine, I lost a lot of fitness. My improvements took baby steps: at first, I walked, then "swam" a bit, then my first "run" on a treadmill was around 10:00 pace and very short (compared to 7:15 for similar HR prior to the accident), etc. So, very slow and prudent progression: I am sure I could have been more aggressive but I didn't take any chances.

I am still not back to pre-accident numbers but here is the progression:
Jan: 53.7 (December was around 56 but I didn't take it regularly)
Mar: 52.2
May: 50.8
Jul: 49.3

The trend is very regular (0.75 beat/month).
- The highest 4-week average: 56.0/lowest: 48.1;
- The highest week average: 58.0/lowest: 47.1;
It's been a good six month to drop 10 beats (on average) but I am starting to see pretty regularly 42-44 after rest days.

I am still not 100% but I find this fascinating: we are very fragile, but so resilient at the same time.

Hope this helps you cope with this setback. I had a very gloomy look at the situation when I started this whole process of rebuilding strength and endurance... but it's possible.

Drop me an email if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Alex

---
First with the head, then with the heart. -- HG
Quote Reply
Re: fractured/broken bones and resting heart rate [lxrchtt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a good 5 month to drop 10 beats (on average) but I am starting to see pretty regularly 30 after rest days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broke my collarbone, hand, and dislocated the clavicle at the sternum as well about a month ago.

Resting heart rate is about 5 - 8 BPM higher than before the accident, and interestingly enough, my heart rate during exercise is significantly higher than before. Probably a mix of the injury and the loss of fitness after a few weeks of recovery, but for essentially the same run at the same pace, during this morning's run my HR jumped about 20 BPM!

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: fractured/broken bones and resting heart rate [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blast from the past of a thread.

If you're 20bpm higher than normal, that's about 40-60 watts generally on the bike, yeah?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. There are people on ST who could opine on that better than I can, but I’m seeing HR levels on the trainer 15bpm higher than usual as well. I’ll see if I can try the reverse on an upcoming workout and see what how many watts I need to drop to hold a target HR.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: fractured/broken bones and resting heart rate [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing the thread back again!

Broken clavicle 2 weeks ago, surgery 10 days ago. Resting Hr slightly elevated maybe 5-10bpm but been getting back on the bike at its sky high! Hit my highest 10-20min BPM ever one trainer ride sat (according to TP) Guess this is kinda normal?

SPBaldwin wrote:
Broke my collarbone, hand, and dislocated the clavicle at the sternum as well about a month ago.

Resting heart rate is about 5 - 8 BPM higher than before the accident, and interestingly enough, my heart rate during exercise is significantly higher than before. Probably a mix of the injury and the loss of fitness after a few weeks of recovery, but for essentially the same run at the same pace, during this morning's run my HR jumped about 20 BPM!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply