Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"feel" comparison vortex vs. KK
Quote | Reply
I'm giving thought to asking Santa for a Tacx Vortex Smart for Christmas, and I'm wondering how it feels compared to a KK road machine. I've tried several trainers but they always seem to feel less smooth that the KK trainer. The KK feels "real", while the others feel like riding in sand to me. I'm wondering how close the Vortex comes to simulating real road feel in comparison to the KK. Any feedback is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: "feel" comparison vortex vs. KK [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the market and from DCR comments he stated KK was most realistic, then Kickr Snap, then Vortex. I got a great deal on a Snap and waiting for it to arrive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When it comes to 'feel' I imagine the best indicator would be the weight of the flywheel (Heavier being better). Having said that, I've owned both (currently have the vortex smart) and I like the vortex smart much more. The resistance profile of the KK feels like I'm always riding "into the wind". Of course, the vortex resistance profile is completely different and can be controlled by the user or software. The Vortex is reasonably quite and smooth too.

I think that there is more value in the vortex smart. But of course, 'value' is a subjective term;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
Any feedback is appreciated.

That is really not an apples to apples comparison. Assuming the KK Road Machine which has a 6.25 pound heavyweight flywheel, there is no comparison! The Vortex Smart has no flywheel and instead depends on a series of magnets and electromagnets oriented alongside an an aluminium disc. When the disc is in motion, the brake uses eddy currents to generate an opposing magnetic field, thus, can produce resistance equivalent to ~950 watts, but really does not have any inertia. That said, where the KK resistance is directly tied to rear wheel speed, the Vortex is a Smart trainer so when training connected to an ANT+ FE-C compatible app, the resistance level will be set automatically, and with Erg mode, independent of of gearing or rear wheel speed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Nov 24, 15 10:08
Quote Reply