Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fastest front wheel for TT on new speed concept
Quote | Reply
I've looked at data between wheels more than i want to admit. Right now i'm running a easton EC90TT with a vittoria crono 700x22. I'm stuck between a zipp 808, bontrager D3, or looking at the new hed GT3. Just for clarification i dont really care which one handles better its know the 90mm easton is twitchy and being only 130lb i have no problem handling it in any wind. Most of my TTs are above 28mph and will soon be doing duathlons and i should still be in the 27+mph range. Just wanted any real world feedback between the three wheels.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: fastest front wheel for TT on new speed concept [maladow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to say, at your speed they will all be pretty close probably. HED's data for the new GT3 uses a narrower (21mm) tire than their tests on other wheels, so while the low yaw drag looks really good, that may just be because of the narrow tire.

In general though you will want to go for lower yaw performance since you are fast. So running a 22 or 21 mm tire might be a good idea, and you might look for wheels that are on the narrower side to match that.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also consider the Mavic CXR-60C. IMO, that and the HED GT3 are your best choices. Probably comes down to what tire you want to run. If you go tubular, an 808fc with an Schwalbe Ironman tire could be a potent and versatile option: low crr, decent low yaw performance, and (likely) excellent high yaw performance for those windy days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go old style H3, clincher with a 20mm Conti and latex tube on any course where the yaw is less than 5-7 degrees. You will reduce translational drag by about 3 watts and rotational drag by a few more.

There is a reason you see Froome and now Contador on trispokes. I can see the appeal of the new wider Trispoke for them because of all the high speed cornering, but for a non technical out and back TT, you might as well use the old skinny version.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest front wheel for TT on new speed concept [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. HED3 with a super skinny tire is the fastest wheel at super-low yaw. It's like having a disc wheel on the front without the death risk.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest front wheel for TT on new speed concept [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is finding a good 20c tubular to fit on the older HED. And from the data I thought the GT3 tested faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clincher. Eww, I'd never ride a tubular wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I understand the D3 is fAster at lower yaw angels then the zipps. I'm about your weight and speed and I run the 70mm bontrager with r4 plus up front on my slice and love it. At your speed and distances you could go 90 or 70 mm.

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply