Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

eTap. Turning a "blip" into a bar-end "clic".
Quote | Reply
The triathlon version of eTap comes with 4x "blips" that will clamp to bars or you can tape them in place. They don't fasten to bar-ends tho. For that, SRAM wants another $100 for their "clics". For $30 SRAM will sell you a couple "blip grips" that will let you put your blips "near" the bar ends, but I wanted them "on" the bar ends. I wanted "clics", I just didn't want to spend $100.

This article shows you the blips, blip grips, and clics. http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._SRAM_eTap_6161.html

So here's what I did.

Get yourself some bar plugs of the right diameter. For most tri bars, that's 22mm.

Blips have a concave underside. Use a dremel to remove material from the underside to make the surface less aggressively concave.

Use your favorite epoxy to glue the Blips to your bar ends. Do this w/o the bar ends installed so you don't glue the bar ends into your tri-bars.

Once this has hardened, install it and see how well your thumbs are triggering the switch. I found that the thumb had to dig kind of deep into the blip so it didn't work very well. In the pic you'll see that I glued a couple small plastic cylinders, these are hollow spacers and they prob came from Home Depot, in order to make it easy for my thumbs to apply the kind of (central/deep) pressure to the blips that they seemed to want.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jun 16, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: eTap. Turning a "blip" into a bar-end "clic". [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thrifty.

If you want a cleaner look, get some push button switches (ip67 rated for waterproofness) and recess them into the bar ends. You'll have to cut and solder the plugs off the existing blips, but they work great for me.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: eTap. Turning a "blip" into a bar-end "clic". [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long did that whole process take you and how much did you spend in materials?

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: eTap. Turning a "blip" into a bar-end "clic". [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that thread of yours and doing this your way was my backup plan.

Cost. I don't know. Couldn't have been >$5. Depends on what kind of deal you get on a grab bag of bar ends. A lot of folks just have them hanging around in their extra parts boxes. I didn't buy anything for this.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply