Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt
Quote | Reply
this picture was from copste's pics of the paris/nice tt. this doesn't look like a stock hed 3
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [Super Fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it a red 4-spoke wheel?

Otherwise, i can't see the picture... ;)

goals, personal:
- under same username post st rr of Kona m80-84ag mop, tail end of the dopers finish
- shoot age from tips on par 72
- beat SuperDave in one-on-one
all within single wk- Viva Chopin, Fryderyk; Faulk, Peter; Helmsley, Sherman; Palillo, Ron; Rogers, Fred McFeely; Sanford, John Elroy; Snuka, Jimmy- and the water bottle isn't half fuller on the other side
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the Hed 3D or whatever it's called. It's a deeper rim version of the Hed 3. They've been using it for a couple seasons.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED 3 deep...they've been around for several years as one-offs for Discovery and other assorted pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I can't say where or who I heard/know this from. But I'm pretty sure you'll see a certain someone rocking that wheel on their tri bike soon and I bet we get a bike pjorn post here on ST showing it. Hopefully the other even cooler thing that I can't mention is on the bike at that point too. Trust me this cooler thing was uber cool!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meester Bjorn perchance? And something even cooler, hmmm....

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which other assorted pros?

We've never seen more than one in a single TT, so it's pretty hard to say that there is more than one even in existance for Discovery, let alone anyone else.

Good news on Bjorn getting one. Sounds like HED is making a push for some additional publicity this season.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was at least one year when Eki and Lance had it as a front wheel for the same TT and they were both on the course at the same time.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pictures? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to see for sure.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

HED made these up for Discovery a couple years ago, but never brought it to market...sort of a H3c bonded to a Stinger 90 rim. pretty sweet.

Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What aerobars are those? HED flip-ups?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use that wheel.....I miss my 3D disc.

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBR44 pointed out one example and I think that may have been the same year I saw one on one of the HED sponsored pro bikes at Lifetime Fitness Triathlon (which takes place at TDF time). There are others around, I think there was even one on eBay awhile ago.
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [Kira] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager Race xXx Lite Aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Bontrager Race xXx Lite Aerobars.

They look like a different variation of the Bontrager xxx Aerobars not available to the public. I have the standard version and the rest pads are a lot higher off the base bar. The extensions also appear to be held differently. Probably a prototype.

http://www.excellentengineering.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice "aero-tape" covering the valve holes. You'd think someone would take a piece of styro-foam or a sponge and even that surface out, given all the time spent on aerodynamics.

Wait, I think I just made myself a millionaire. Everyone forget this post.

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [johnnyperu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about that photo but some were using the new Bontager race x lite base bar and race x lite clip ons. They have photos the the web site
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
y'know...the more I look at the pic, it looks like the carbon fairing from a Jet 90, cut into three pieces, then cut to fit around the three spokes, and just glued over a H3c. There are visible seams at each spoke, dividing it into three segments and a visible seam outlining the spokes where it simply wraps around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense...as I doubt they would have a dedicated mold for making that profile due to cost. You can also see how the angle between the rim and each tri spoke is very sharp instead of round like for a regular H3. I would assume that's how they've always made the deeper H3s?

Maybe andyt at HED will chime in if he sees this...
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Mar 16, 07 21:16
Quote Reply
Re: discovery front wheel at pairs/nice tt [mudflaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered the same thing. Wouldn't this also apply to disk wheels? Why not make a high density sponge/foam piece that would wedge into the valve hole and sit flush with the surface. Have a small cutout for the valve. Slick outer surface. Why isn't this around? Hed or Zipp could probably make them for a dollar and I'd pay $10 for one.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have pictures, no. It would be impossible unless they were time/date stamped anyway to show it. But as I, and another poster have said, there have been instances where there was more than one of those wheels in different places at the same time.

Personally, I think it would be an awesome rear wheel, that with a regular tri-spoke up front. Sort of a "606" pair of tri-spokes.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fairings are illegal in the eyes of the UCI. haha
Quote Reply